Veteran Member
Kudos: 2738
Solutions: 129
Accepted Solution

PPPoE Client/VLAN/Bridge Performance?

I read in other threads that certain kinds of traffic, such as via PPPoE, VLANs and Bridges are not accelerated. Numbers for performance of accelerated traffic is widely published, but what's the expected real-world performance of the non-accelerated traffic? And would there be much difference speed-wise between some types than others? Naturally anything with crypto (openvpn comes to mind) would be slower than those without, but would there be much between pppoe/pptp/vpn/bridge/etc?

I know VLANs will hopefully be accelerated soon, but if anyone has done some numbers, especially as a PPPoE client it'd be quite helpful in planning where an ERL would be suited.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 78
Solutions: 5

Re: PPPoE Client/VLAN/Bridge Performance?

[ Edited ]

< old topic, subject fits and new topic would contain the same information >

I've tested the ERL (v1.1.0) with PPPoE on ISP WAN connection in configuration with basic nat + firewall + LAN - DHCP server (SOHO). 

Be aware performance on PPPoE encapsulation for an internet (WAN) interface is limited!!

My tests show throughput drop significantly in contrast when using IP over Ethernet (IPoE) connections. My maximum unidirectional throughput maxed the device (cpu 100%) at roughly 200Mbps (20 - 25MB/s). It didn't make much difference if this is single or multithreading traffic. Not much difference (in perspective) when using pppoe directly on interface or on a vlan interface.

Also be aware this puts the CPU at it's maximum (processes that use CPU are ksoftirqd/0ksoftirqd/1. It's not reaching it's maximum forwarding capacity but the CPU as a limit. Which has side effects for other processes. Even device management is very slow (near to unusable). Makes it interestingly hard to debug also.

I didn't test bi-directional traffic or some basic QoS (drop policies - traffic shaping), expected with CPU maximum reached it's not certain those rules would be honored.

No real tests were done to see where the boundry really is. Tested this with TCP throughput that can be reached, packetloss not verified when (and if) this starts happening at what rate of traffic.

For a high-speed ISP subscription which uses PPPoE it's not really suited (highspeed VDSL or FttH). My hope it's not suited yet, we'll see what Ubiquiti brings us. I'm happy to to test some things for them.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 1008
Solutions: 80
Contributions: 9

Without acceleration, IMO, the ERL is suited for a typical home connection in terms of throughput.  

Here are the results of some very basic testing I did.

[ Edited ]

< old topic, subject fits and new topic would contain the same information >

I've tested the ERL (v1.1.0) with PPPoE on ISP WAN connection in configuration with basic nat + firewall + LAN - DHCP server (SOHO). 

Be aware performance on PPPoE encapsulation for an internet (WAN) interface is limited!!

My tests show throughput drop significantly in contrast when using IP over Ethernet (IPoE) connections. My maximum unidirectional throughput maxed the device (cpu 100%) at roughly 200Mbps (20 - 25MB/s). It didn't make much difference if this is single or multithreading traffic. Not much difference (in perspective) when using pppoe directly on interface or on a vlan interface.

Also be aware this puts the CPU at it's maximum (processes that use CPU are ksoftirqd/0ksoftirqd/1. It's not reaching it's maximum forwarding capacity but the CPU as a limit. Which has side effects for other processes. Even device management is very slow (near to unusable). Makes it interestingly hard to debug also.

I didn't test bi-directional traffic or some basic QoS (drop policies - traffic shaping), expected with CPU maximum reached it's not certain those rules would be honored.

No real tests were done to see where the boundry really is. Tested this with TCP throughput that can be reached, packetloss not verified when (and if) this starts happening at what rate of traffic.

For a high-speed ISP subscription which uses PPPoE it's not really suited (highspeed VDSL or FttH). My hope it's not suited yet, we'll see what Ubiquiti brings us. I'm happy to to test some things for them.

Veteran Member

Thanks for that, it was exactly the kind of numbers I was curious about!

Kinda disappointing performance, I assume it was done with large packet sizes? Smaller packet sizes would hit it even harder I imagine.

[ Edited ]

This was done with largest packet size, normal tcp transfer and iperf tests. I didn't look at the pps. It's done with tcp-mss clamping, still needed because mtu 1500 for pppoe is not properly supported yet.

Kudos: 29
Solutions: 7

bump

Are there any news on PPPoE hardware offloading? is it possible at all? is it planned? any ETA (week, month, quarter, year, sometime)? 

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5471
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

As mentioned before it is on our TODO list. As discussed before it is certainly possible, but implementation will depend on resource availability of course, and therefore we do not have a time estimate at the moment.

Veteran Member

@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

As mentioned before it is on our TODO list. As discussed before it is certainly possible, but implementation will depend on resource availability of course, and therefore we do not have a time estimate at the moment.

Out of curiosity how many guys are working on the EdgeMAX platform? If memory serves ubnt made some pretty impressive profits last quarter - time to pitch to put a few more software guys on (across the board even, AirOS and AirControl can use some love too!) perhaps?

Previous Employee

@NVX wrote:

Out of curiosity how many guys are working on the EdgeMAX platform? If memory serves ubnt made some pretty impressive profits last quarter - time to pitch to put a few more software guys on (across the board even, AirOS and AirControl can use some love too!) perhaps?

Here is a hint, if you hang out on the forums, you've met all of us Icon Smile  Yeah as mentioned before we do hope to get and are looking for additional resources. Thanks for the feedback!

Veteran Member

@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

@NVX wrote:

Here is a hint, if you hang out on the forums, you've met all of us Icon Smile  Yeah as mentioned before we do hope to get and are looking for additional resources. Thanks for the feedback!

Wow, so few? Here I was thinking there must have been some more of you guys who were a bit antisocial and avoided the forums or something. Very impressive work given how few of you there are! Just think of the possibilities if you had a few more top notch guys helping out too. Man Very Happy

Previous Employee

@NVX wrote:

Wow, so few? Here I was thinking there must have been some more of you guys who were a bit antisocial and avoided the forums or something. Very impressive work given how few of you there are! Just think of the possibilities if you had a few more top notch guys helping out too. Man Very Happy

Thanks for the encouragement! Icon Smile

@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

Any new news on this? Either a timescale or just a commitment on PPPoE hardware offloading?

Previous Employee

At the moment we do not have a time estimate and it will not be in the current v1.4.0 alpha/beta cycle (which started about 3 weeks ago), but it is near the top of our TODO list for offload and we do hope to get to it soon.

That's great to hear. Icon Smile

Kudos: 8
Solutions: 2

+1 Was super excited to ditch my old solution until the performance came in significantly below what I am currently getting. At least I'll be ready to make the transition when this functionality is added.
Kudos: 118
Solutions: 11
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3137
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

@PLan wrote:

@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

Any new news on this? Either a timescale or just a commitment on PPPoE hardware offloading?

If you're part of the beta test group, we're currently testing PPPoE offload.  Customers are reporting significan't improvement.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Kudos: 118
Solutions: 11
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

Working great !

Running 1.4, I had the 220mb bottleneck, now with 1.5...

SPEED

@UBNT-stig wrote:

If you're part of the beta test group, we're currently testing PPPoE offload.  Customers are reporting significan't improvement.

Just out of curiosity has anyone tested the maximum speed with PPPoE offload enabled(around 220Mb/s without offload)?

Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3137
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

@PLan wrote:

@UBNT-stig wrote:

Just out of curiosity has anyone tested the maximum speed with PPPoE offload enabled(around 220Mb/s without offload)?

Hopefully @cremenescu doesn't mind me posting his result: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3410357325.png

EdgeMAX Router Software Development