Kudos: 97
Solutions: 5

Re: SFE on the ERL

@JoeyJoe

Honestly I'm a bit stumped here. Since we've verified you've got the correct kernel, we'll try updating the modules instead. I've updated the sfe-modules archive, so download that and extract it.

And no it doesn't matter whether the Cavium offload module is loaded or not. I tested having both enabled at the same time, and while it works, performance suffers pretty badly. So as long as you've disabled it you're good.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

I've just tried it and same error.  Oh well, I'll give a go again when I have some more time.

Thanks for your help

Emerging Member
Kudos: 131

@Lochnair Fiber with similar speeds is also showing up in urban areas here in Czech. I also see offers for urban area VDSL2 up to 80 Mbps, and cable to 120. So it's great if these devices could be useful for some more years without hardware changes. I use mine though on 10/20 Mbps at home and 40/40 Mbps at work, both point-to-point WiFi (half-duplex).

I hadn't noticed the ER-X compilation issue. I could try to get up to speed and help out, but I know work is going to get in the way at least for the next week or so.

Emerging Member

@Lochnair  I tried a factory reset, with one WAN and 2 LAN (no bridge) and am still getting the same error. Maybe the file is getting corrupted some where along the line, but it's odd that it's the exact same error.

Has anyone else tried this yet and gotten it to work?  Or had it fail?

Some feedback might be helpful.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 92
Solutions: 2

How does SFE perform compare to the proprietary (*sigh* gpl it already) cavium-ip-offload.ko ?

I really want to ditch the 3.X kernel line and go full lede but the lack of hardware offloading on the ER-Lite is really showing how awful the performance of this device is. I have my UAPs patched with SFE. Can you do a quick comparision ?

Kind regards

MartB

Gear: 2x Unifi AP-AC-PRO, USG, Draytek Vigor 130
Controller: Archlinuxarm on an odroid-c2 aarch64

[ Edited ]

@MartB
I haven't done any extensive testing on that yet, but I think I got 920 Mbit/sec with Cavium, and 900 Mbit/sec with SFE running a iperf test.

Edit:

Ran the tcp_bidirectional test in Flent with Cavium IP offload and SFE respectively. As you can see SFE can't quite keep up with the proprietary Cavium offload, but it's still more than usable for a lot of purposes.

Cavium IP offload - tcp_bidirectional.png

SFE - tcp_bidirectional.png

Emerging Member
Kudos: 92
Solutions: 2

@LochnairThanks for providing this, thats quite the difference in upload + ping times.

Still better than nothing as i doubt cavium/ubnt has the guts to release this module (i dont get why tho as its only going to work on these socs and its tailored to ubiquiti devices (does the dpi related stuff, and layer2 country blocking too)). The best would be if ubnt would ask them to provide it with a gpl license with all the parts except the ip offloading stripped. So it could be included into 3rdparty firmwares for these socs (USG, ER-Series, and countless other octeon devices).

Howerver until then (probably never) i will try to get lede/openwrt + sfe working on the USG as i sold my Edgerouter Lite to a friend.

Kind regards

MartB

Gear: 2x Unifi AP-AC-PRO, USG, Draytek Vigor 130
Controller: Archlinuxarm on an odroid-c2 aarch64

@JoeyJoe

Finally figured out why it's not working for you. As expected it was a small error on my part. There's a patch needed for the bridge module for the fast classifier to work with bridges, which I've applied. I just forgot to include the modified bridge module in the archive, without it fast-classifier naturally wont' work.

I'm pretty confident it'll work for you this time.

Emerging Member

@Lochnair  You did it!  I just tried it out and no more errors.

Thank you.

@UBNT-sandisn, @UBNT-Vlad: I'm trying to build this for the ER-X too, but I can't for the life of me find a toolchain that works with the ER-X kernel source (I'm getting opcode errors). Could you shed some light on the toolchain you guys are using?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 4

@Lochnair    try toolchain from this repo (custom SDK-based MT7620/MT7621 firmware).

@Ubeavis

Thanks, but sadly their toolchain doesn't work either. I'm still getting errors such as this:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:1710: Error: opcode not supported on this processor: mips1 (mips1) `cfc1 $2,$0'
{standard input}:4167: Error: opcode not supported on this processor: mips1 (mips1) `ctc1 $4,$31'
{standard input}:4180: Error: opcode not supported on this processor: mips1 (mips1) `cfc1 $4,$31'
{standard input}:4217: Error: opcode not supported on this processor: mips1 (mips1) `cfc1 $3,$0'
{standard input}:4272: Error: opcode not supported on this processor: mips1 (mips1) `ctc1 $4,$31'
{standard input}:4285: Error: opcode not supported on this processor: mips1 (mips1) `cfc1 $4,$31'
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

Nice work!

This works on the ERL3?

How to revert back if this causes any issues?

Emerging Member

1.  Yes it works on ERL3. 

2.  You just flash an official version of the firmware back on to go to stock.  There myabe another way to do it but I'm not aware of of. 

I've been running SFE with CAKE for about 3 weeks without issue, it seems to work very well.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

OK, so someone will maintain it for parity with each future stock release or is this a one-time shot?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

Sorry for the N00by questions but:

- Is this meant to work on ER-X or ERL or ER-Pro?

- Would it work on, say, future edgerouters that may have a 4 or 6 in their model?

- Are the install instructions at the beginning of this post still accurate?

- I'm a little more familiar with fq_codel than cake.  Are there configuration requirements or does it just work?

- After this mod, does the ER UI still exist or do you have to configure everything cli?

Thanks,

Mark

[ Edited ]

@ely105

- This build is meant for the ER-Lite/PoE only. The ER-8/Pro is easy to add support for, since it's using the same kernel tree as the ERL, it's just a matter of doing it. Applying the patches for the ER-X is easy too, but I'm banging my head against the wall trying to compile it. I've made some progress, but it still fails at the end of the build.

- SFE is architecture-agnostic, so you can run this on basically every device, provided that it's not to much of a hassle to backport it. UBNT have accepted looking into if it's possible to include SFE in the stock firmware, so I'm hoping for that happening.

- Yes. Altough, I'd recommend having the original kernel available on the kernel partition. That way you can easily recover if something goes wrong using a console cable.

- Not 100% on what you're asking, but FQ-CoDel should work just fine too.

-  Yes and no. Most things work fine, but things like DPI and traffic analysis doesn't. Some modifications to UBNT's proprietary DPI engine is required to make it see SFE-offloaded packets.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

@Lochnair

I think I get it now.  This is a new Kernel and the EdgeOS runs on top of that and from what you said, it seems to run fine except for DPI.

So i've seen a lot of references to Cake and i'm only familiar with the QOS built into EdgeOS which is/was fq_codel.  How does one get a Cake implementation.  Or is Cake somehow built into SFE?

Would really like to see this on a MIPS64 CPU - it'd be nice to have this working on a ER-Pro or even some of the newer hardware coming around the corner.  Although it sounds like the ERLite can do almost Gigabit now?

-Mark

Emerging Member

Cake is seperate from SFE.   See this thread it'll fill you in a what Cake is about.  https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Cake-and-FQ-PIE-compiled-for-the-EdgeRouter-devices/td-p/16798...

You can't use any on the hardware offloaded features while using SFE not just DPI. I found a hopefully complete this of all the hardware offloads: DPI, NAT, VLAN, GRE, PPPOE.   @Lochnair will know more about this than I do though

I don't have much to add. All of the built-in offloads should be disabled as they won't work alongside SFE. Every feature that depends on the built-in offloads being used won't work, and things that aren't able to see packets fast-forwarded by SFE.

I can't think of anything else to add to your list right now.