Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 1

Re: SFE on the ERL

Hi @Lochnair

No I haven't been able to try as I was travelling the past couple weeks.  Will try next week when I get back into the office.  Is it the exact same process for the ER-Pro?

Regards,

Mark

Kudos: 97
Solutions: 5

@ely105

Yes it is

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

@Lochnair

So I was able to figure out that on the ER-PRO the storage device is "mmcblk0p1".  Once I mounted that I could see vmlinux and continue the process.

And while the kernel seems to be loading fine:

Linux version 3.10.20-UBNT (lochnair@halyard.svee.in) (gcc version 7.2.0 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Sun Oct 1 11:43:16 CEST 2017
CVMSEG size: 2 cache lines (256 bytes)
Cavium Inc. SDK-3.1
bootconsole [early0] enabled
CPU revision is: 000d9301 (Cavium Octeon II)

But when I run the command "modprobe fast-classifier" the router hangs/reboots pretty much immediately.

Man Sad

@ely105

For some reason I didn't get an email notification about your post, so I didn't see this before answering you on Discord.

As usual the reason you got a panic is a massive brainfart on my side. The SFE patches modifies a couple of nf_conntrack modules. Which I failed to include in the archives...

I've pushed new archives with the modules that's obviously needed. Hopefully there's not more of them Smiley Happy

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

[ Edited ]

@Lochnairincase you weren't aware you site for downloads is down. Or maybe it's just me?

@JoeyJoe

Thanks for the heads up. I'd managed to botcher some routing rules so that answer traffic were being sent from another IP. I've just reverted for now 'till I can fix it properly.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@Lochnair  are those kernel sizes correct? The older one for the ERL I'm currently running is around 3MB and the new one is 2MB. 

Edit:  I just noticed it's compressed differently so that's probably why.

@JoeyJoe

Yes I tried to use xz compression, but I changed to bz2 because Busybox tar doesn't support it.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13

Re: Qualcomm Fast Path (SFE) for the EdgeRouters

[ Edited ]

I've tried a LEDE build with SFE enabled on my ER-X. 

Results: 
900+Mbit NAT, ~570Mbit with Cake enabled. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 89
Solutions: 6

Yeah, I did this today as well with a new ER-X.

I can't get flent to do what I want but with SFE I'm at 900+ mbit as well. With CAKE, iperf will report me happily at 100 Mbit with a 100Mbit sqm set up. flent appears to get very confused.

This router seems to be gigabit class even without proprietary hwnat modules which is good for the future. Although after playing with it, I think I still prefer EdgeOS to LEDE. Now I just have an extra router with LEDE heh.
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Has anyone tested this on an ERL to see if UDP is still has the out of order packet issue?  I ask because my VoIP is a lot better since installing this.  I would test but don't really have the time as I would have to set everything up to do the test.

Emerging Member

Lochnair, would you be able to make an ER-X image with SFE support now? The image you made for me 2 weeks ago had no issues, but didn't include SFE as a test.

Emerging Member

@Arie out of curiosity were you able to restore your ER-X back to EdgeOS after running LEDE on it? If so, was that an exercise in dd? I have been reluctant to try it at the moment.

Or you might have two ER-X like I do at the moment.
Emerging Member

This is my most telling experiement with my LEDE/OpenWRT powered ER-X with SFE enabled and Cake.  In this configuration, the ER-X has no trouble at all shaping the 100/100 connection here at home.  When compared to the (the middle two dashed orange / green lines) it becomes apparent that a ER-X running 1.9.7 falls down while trying to SQM the connection.  It does manage to control the bufferbloat but at a cost of approximately half the network throughput.  I generally wouldn't consider that usable.  

image-fs8.png

As of today, the LEDE powered ER-X is the one in use here at home.  Shaping traffic, logging packets and overall being very impressive for a 100% open source solution.  

While I see the post from @UBNT-Vlad that SFE is up for consideration for inclusion in a future EdgeOS, I think Cake should eventually take over for the existing SQM scripts.  It appears to work better and it smarter than the existing SmartQueue.  

Emerging Member

It required some dd-ing and ubiformat-ing to get back to stock: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/ERX-ERX-SFP-System-Recovery/td-p/2056921

So not trivial Man Happy

Emerging Member

Thanks! The part I was missing was how to get LEDE initramfs up and running so I could do the dd'ing. tftp makes sense. I don't have the USB TTL cable so I'd need that. I also don't think I'm going to leave LEDE at this point. It works really well and scales as far as my present WAN. If I move beyond that, I'd need an ER4 and to see if it could SQM at 1 gigabit.

But now I have directions if I need them!

@Arie

I uploaded a new SFE image here a week ago, where I've added some modified modules I'd forgotten about. So hopefully it won't panic this time.

Emerging Member

It panics unfortunately. A gist with the output: https://gist.github.com/Arie/69b460acd34e8b7c36eef3ab5dd0972b

@Arie

I really don't understand why ppp_generic keep causing panics. It's not a problem on the other models. I got an ER-X this week, so I can actually debug issues like this. I'm at a friends place for the weekend however, so at the earliest I might have figured out something on Sunday.

Emerging Member

Did you get a chance to work on a working image with SFE again? I love my ER-X with LEDE and SFE, but the stock firmware has much nicer load balancing options