Kudos: 97
Solutions: 5

Re: Qualcomm Fast Path (SFE) for the EdgeRouters

@Arie

Sadly life (and a cold) happened, so I never got around to it.

Until today that is. Using the image I uploaded I got the same error as you at first. So I just copied every kernel module from my tree to the device and tried booting it then, which worked.

So as I expected there's some kernel module(s) that have changed that I don't know about. And honestly I can't be bothered to find out. So I've uploaded a new module archive with all the modules in it. Which is probably for the best, seeing as the changes I had to make to the ER-X kernel tree to get it to compile is more instrusive than on the ERL.

Solutions: 3

@Lochnair I would suggest you release wholy packaged firmwares with SFE, Cake and Wireguard Man Wink

It would make only 1 thread to follow and a simple procedure to follow (upload modified firmware)

Are you working with the 1.10 a1 update right now ? They fixed UDP reorder issue in it.

Great Work btw !!!

@Altheran

I'd need permission from UBNT to distribute modified firmware archives since their's proprietary software in them. I could possibly create a tool that modifies firmware archives locally, to skirt the rules, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

No not yet. AFAIK there's no GPL archives for beta firmware, so I'm not able to update my tree before they're released.

Or a wizard that downloads the packages and run scripts to setup everything ?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 37

Lochnair wrote:

@Altheran

I'd need permission from UBNT to distribute modified firmware archives since their's proprietary software in them.

Could we invite UBNT to distribute your hard work as part of a firmware release?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

Frankly SFE and CAKE are so easy to install and setup that I don't see the need for the script but thats just me. Trust me I'm all for making things easier and faster but I don't see the need for a script.

If you are running an edgerouter you've already picked one of the more difficult to setup devices out there, I would think installing SFE and then installing and configuring CAKE wouldn't be much more work. It only adds just under 10 minutes for me and that includes rebooting after installing SFE.

CAKE requires some testing of settings to find out what works best for your connection. Something that you couldn't do with a script.

@RobbieTT

They're looking into it. UBNT-Vlad said that they've tested it, and that they're going to review the code to see how it'll interact with the rest of the system. DPI for example need changes to work with SFE.

@JoeyJoe

This is basically my sentiment too. I have no plans to create a setup script at the current time, as I believe installation is easy enough as-is.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 37

Lochnair wrote:

UBNT-Vlad said that they've tested it, and that they're going to review the code to see how it'll interact with the rest of the system. DPI for example need changes to work with SFE.

That's promissing but they really don't need to address issues such as DPI ahead of initial adoption.  There are numerous features on EdgeMAX that become unavailable when different settings are made.  In the specific case of DPI it appears to only work with IPv4 as it is.

Hopefully we will see your efforts rolled-up into a formal build sooner rather than later.

From what i get from SFE vs Cavium Offload is that Stuff offloaded by Cavium is Wirerate ans SFE Tops at
300-400 mbps of Cake on a ERL. What would be great is on top of making optimisations of SFE, Ubnt being able to have the 2 modules working side by side so when a feature disables a certain offload, it gets transfered to the SFE module Ex : QoSed Traffic use SFE and the non-QoSed stays in the Cavium offload.

@Lochnair In the WireGuard Speedtests you did (130 mbps on ERL was it?), was it accelerated in any way ? is there a way to offload it ? Cavium ? SFE ?

JoeyJoe wrote:

If you are running an edgerouter you've already picked one of the more difficult to setup devices out there, I would think installing SFE and then installing and configuring CAKE wouldn't be much more work. It only adds just under 10 minutes for me and that includes rebooting after installing SFE.

Not Really, for me, using the ERL pretty much amount to update Firmware and flush config.

Run the Setup wizard for DHCP connection

Setup Port Fowarding with loopback

Setup Services

Activate Fq_Codel on WAN Egress ... no CLI ever, Im a total unix Noob. I try using CLIs as much as I can.

Got an UNRAID Server running only dockers with Web UIs XD

@Altheran

It's something I believe is possible, but currently there's something preventing Cavium offload and SFE from running together. It "works", but it just hurts performance.

Pretty sure the results I got with the newer WireGuard snapshots was something akin to 80-90 Mbit/sec with iperf3. IIRC it around doubled when used with SFE.

I'm super-impressed with the performance of SFE+Cake on an ER-X! 

For comparison, I'm running an ER6 and using fq_codel it runs out of steam at about 465 megabits (on a ~1000/40 connection). I'm hoping that the much beefier hardware on the ER6 would be able to do SFE+Cake at line rate for me. 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2689
Solutions: 127

phongn wrote:

I'm super-impressed with the performance of SFE+Cake on an ER-X! 

For comparison, I'm running an ER6 and using fq_codel it runs out of steam at about 465 megabits (on a ~1000/40 connection). I'm hoping that the much beefier hardware on the ER6 would be able to do SFE+Cake at line rate for me. 

Worth noting the strict definition of line rate means at any packet size. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the ER4/ER6 could do 1gbit with SFE+Cake with reasonable packet sizes. Man Tongue

@NVX

True. Testing with differently sized packets is something I want to do, but it's not very high on my priority list.

I was wondering if any of you tested cake with SFE to check if actually of aspects of cake are working properly.
I've had some troubles with "nat dual-srchost diffserv4 rtt 300ms mpu 64" settings while on LEDE.

@r43k3n

In my benchmarks, CAKE worked just fine with SFE enabled. However I did not test using the per-host fairness or de-NATing options.

For me those options didn't work at all when combined with SFE. As soon as I got rid of it they started to work fine.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 89
Solutions: 6

On LEDE things got odd with per host-fairness. So I killed that. I’ve been running piece of cake without an issue on a 100/100 connection.

I'm not entirely sure why i'm not able to download the kernel using the curl command using putty. I noticed if I use the -k into the download it will work but when I reboot the router, that's when I can no longer get any response from the router and having to use emergency kit to recover back to stock firmware. 

I always get the 

curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired
More details here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
 of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
 bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
 using the --cacert option.
If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
 the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
 problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
 not match the domain name in the URL).
If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
 the -k (or --insecure) option.

I've tried three times, and the same happens when i try to install using the curl comand to install cake. I was able to install cake fine by placing the cake files into the directory via winSCP but other than that I cannot get a past the first line of the step.Which i do believe is causing the problem when i don't use the -O instead of the -k. 

Thank you for your help.