Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

Re: Qualcomm Fast Path (SFE) for the EdgeRouters

@Lochnair  I tried SFE today on the ERL with firmware 1.10 and it worked great!

Kudos: 97
Solutions: 5

@JoeyJoe

Nice to hear it's working out well for you Man Happy

On a slightly related note, I don't think we'll see much more from SFE. There's now a similar system in the linux -next tree, that I'm hoping makes it into 4.16. I know nbd has backported the patches to 4.14 in his OpenWrt staging tree, so I'm planning to do a build from his tree for the ERL and do some tests.

I won't even try to backport it for 3.10. I prefer to avoid very painful things. But, if we do get 4.9 in EdgeOS 2.0, the effort will probably be worthwhile.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

HI all,

I am very interested to try SFE (and eventually CAKE). I am on a FIOS 150/150 connection with ERL in the US and am going back and forth between Smartque on with throughput reduced to about 70/70 and no QoS at all. I am on EdgeOS 1.10 and it works well for me.

I have been trying to install SFE using Lochnair's instructions in the OP, logged in from terminal on OSX over SSH from the same subnet.

I can enter commands OK but when entering "mkdir /mnt/boot" the command fails with: " mkdir: can't create directory '/mnt/boot': Permission denied" .

Any suggestions on how to fix greatly appreciated.

Main configuration: Verizon FIOS 150/150, ERL3 (1.10 release) used directly as router, Unify Switch 48 (3.9.23), 2 UAP AC PRO (3.9.25), Unifi 5.8.3 OSX
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1859
Solutions: 821

Prepend commands with "sudo" to execute them as root

Can we expect a build of SFE kernel for the E50 firmware 1.10 or this isn't planned? Thanks!

Emerging Member

it's right here. https://build.lochnair.net/job/ubiquiti/

Lochnair moved stuff, everything you need is here including SFE and CAKE.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for pointing me to the new address, but I don't see a compiled kernel bz2 archive for the E50 series, only a "ulmage" file which I am not sure what to do with. I don't have a TTL handy and the device is in a hard to reach location so I would like to avoid bricking it.

There is a ksrc available but I don't have a build environment for this device at hand.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

I can't help you out, I don't have an ER-X.  On page 7 of this thread there is a post by Arie on how to install it, it looks like you need physical access to it and a TTL cable.

@TheLT

The ER-X works differently than the others. To replace the kernel manually you'd have to use dd and write it directly to the right MTD partition.

Below I've written up the steps I've taken to add SFE support to the firmware image. This will give you a firmware image that you can flash as usual.

mkdir repack
cd repack
tar xf ../ER-e50.v1.10.0.5056246.tar

# Change the version string
echo 'Version:      v1.10.0.5056246.180125.0954-SFE' > version.tmp

# Replace the kernel image
wget -O vmlinux.tmp 'https://build.lochnair.net/job/ubiquiti/job/kernel_e50/job/v1.10.0%252Fsfe/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/uImage'
md5sum vmlinux.tmp | cut -d' ' -f1 > vmlinux.tmp.md5

# Add modules from SFE tree
sudo unsquashfs squashfs.tmp
rm squashfs.tmp
wget -O- https://build.lochnair.net/job/ubiquiti/job/kernel_e50/job/v1.10.0%252Fsfe/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/e50-modules.tar.bz2 | sudo tar --overwrite -v -x -j -C squashfs-root
sudo mksquashfs squashfs-root squashfs.tmp
sudo rm -rf squashfs-root
md5sum squashfs.tmp | cut -d' ' -f1 > squashfs.tmp.md5

# Repack tar
tar -cvf ../ER-e50.v1.10.0.5056246-SFE.tar *
cd ..

Now I can easily swap between the stock image and the one with SFE.

ubnt@ubnt:~$ show system image
The system currently has the following image(s) installed:

v1.10.0.5056246.180125.0954-SFE (running image) (default boot) 
v1.10.0.5056246.180125.0954    

Worked like a charm, thank you so much Lochnair! Got two images I can switch between now! Great!

I am also interested in that. Before I start, I want to see whether it has some fail over procedure to recover the router? How to reset to the facotry default kernel? Also, will it wipe my firewall/vpn configuration? What is the reason that not use it in production?

@carilwang

As far as I know, there's still no way to switch firmwares on the ER-X without opening it to connect a serial cable, other models with a console port isn't too hard to recover. When you're using a custom FW image, the upgrade procedure will copy over the config as it always does.

I mostly don't recommend using it production do to this being a mostly untested backport of SFE. I did the backport because someone asked, but I don't actively use it myself, and thus can't give any guarantees as to it's stability.

There's nothing wrong with using in production per se, but you should make sure to test it for your use-case properly before deploying it to production.

Has anyone added this on the ER-4? 

@Coltslaughter

I've added SFE branches for the ER-4/ER-6P and the ER-XG. Binaries for the ER-4/ER-6P available here.

The usual disclaimer applies: using this might kill your cat, etc. etc.

Emerging Member

@Lochnair good news EdgeOS 2.0 is based on 4.9.79. Alpha version of firmware was just released today!
Kudos: 5

Yessssss!

How do you access the edgeos 2.0 alpha? Is there a link? 

Kudos: 1305
Solutions: 176

@Coltslaughter wrote:

How do you access the edgeos 2.0 alpha? Is there a link? 

You need to sign up for early-access:  How To Sign Up for Early Access

If you do so, read the announcement carefully and understand that it is indeed "alpha".

@JoeyJoe

Nice to see they've got an alpha release out now. I'm curious to see how long I'll have to wait to get my hands on the updated kernel tree this time. In the meantime I guess I'll update my build environment.

Emerging Member

@Lochnair  Lets just hope they alpha/beta test longer than usual so there isn't a bunch of hotfixes after the initial release.  I guess it will be August or September before it gets released.