Re: Qualcomm Fast Path (SFE) for the EdgeRouters

I was going to try and compile the image for the ER-X using the instructions above, but the SFE branch is 404ing. Should I use the master branch for the E50?

Kudos: 97
Solutions: 5

@mcmcghee

No you should still use the SFE branch. I'd just forgotten to run the builds again after the server went bonkers.

@JoeyJoe

I don't really care much either way, since I don't actively use EdgeOS anymore. Sadly it didn't really work well for my setup. Running Debian testing on my ERL for the time being.

I just hope I can get updated kernel sources before 2.0 enters GA. 'twas a pain last time with 1.10, where some users couldn't upgrade because they had to wait for new WireGuard builds.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

My device is ERL3. After replacing the kernel and reboot, I lost the "/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_icmp_timeout" file. 

When I do:

configure

set system conntrack timeout icmp 30 

commit

It says "nsysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_icmp_timeout: No such file or directory"

Is there anybody who has the same problem?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2687
Solutions: 127

@Lochnair wrote:

I just hope I can get updated kernel sources before 2.0 enters GA. 'twas a pain last time with 1.10, where some users couldn't upgrade because they had to wait for new WireGuard builds.

Ping @UBNT-afomins - can this happen? Guessing Kernel version won't majorly change between now and GA so hopefully only minimal effort once it goes GA (or 0 if the alpha built modules work against GA still)

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1308
Solutions: 76

@Lochnair:
> I just hope I can get updated kernel sources before 2.0 enters GA

@NVX:
> Guessing Kernel version won't majorly change between now and GA so hopefully only minimal effort once it goes GA (or 0 if the alpha built modules work against GA still)

Ok, when 2.0.0-alpha.2 is ready then we will publish it together with GPL sources.

I use pseudo-ethernet for load-balance

it looks SFE cant help improve speed

The speed limit ERPOE about 100mbit

I must say the ubnt pseudo-ethernet sucks...

Kudos: 66
Solutions: 12

[ Edited ]

Hi, I am on ERL 1.10.4 and followed commands for ERL under root.

As a result unit did not boot.

Serial cable showed:

INIT: version 2.88 booting

libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:554 kmod_search_moddep: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/modules.dep.bin'
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:554 kmod_search_moddep: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/modules.dep.bin'
Cannot find device "imq0"
/etc/ubnt/ubnt-rcS/start-e.e102: line 22: cd: /sys/module/ubnt_platform: No such file or directory

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2

Unable to open file: /dev/tpm0
can't open any entropy source
Maybe RNG device modules are not loaded

Only LO interface is available after boot.

I executed "sudo depmod" and rebooted. Now I see this:

INIT: version 2.88 booting
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:505 kmod_lookup_alias_from_builtin_file: could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/modules.builtin.bin'
FATAL: Module ubnt_platform not found.
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:505 kmod_lookup_alias_from_builtin_file: could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/modules.builtin.bin'
FATAL: Module octeon-ethernet not found.
FATAL: Module octeon-rng not found.
FATAL: Module ubnt-nf-app not found.
FATAL: Module cavium-ip-offload not found.
FATAL: Module imq not found.
Cannot find device "imq0"
FATAL: Module cvm-ipsec-kame not found.
/etc/ubnt/ubnt-rcS/start-e.e102: line 22: cd: /sys/module/ubnt_platform: No such file or directory
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Unable to open file: /dev/tpm0
can't open any entropy source
Maybe RNG device modules are not loaded

WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/modules.order: No such file or directory
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/3.10.20-UBNT/modules.builtin: No such file or directory

Please help me to restore it. I know I can switch the image, but I am doing it remotely on a PC with a router connected only via serial (no network).

Thank you,

@Xand

You can modify the contents of the bootcmd variable to load the other image.

Replace vmlinux.64 with vmlinux.64o,

squashfs.img with squashfs.o, and lastly w with w.o. If I remember correctly that is. 

@UBNT-afomins

Did I miss something, or did you guys forget to upload GPL sources?

Kudos: 57

Imagine my relief at the prospect of not having to support cake further back than 4.9 anymore. I can certainly imagine your relief.

And this new fast path looks interesting, but I have not read the whole thread. I would like to encourage people

to also benchmark tbf + fq_codel vs cake on this new version of EdgeOS. I like cake, but I hate running out of cpu.

When offloads are present do you get a skb->hash from hardware or software?

@dtaht2

Hearing the news about 4.9 was like getting my prayers answered. Altough a real miracle would be ISPs using some form of AQM and sane buffer sizes in their equipment being the norm.

It's pretty cool stuff, but I haven't really touched it in a good while. With the horrible DSL subscriptions I'm stuck with, I'm never gonna run out of CPU anyway. Can I take that to mean TBF + fq_codel should be a less CPU-intensive alternative than CAKE and HTB + fq_codel?

Heh, speaking of new kernels, skb->hash used to be called rxhash pre-3.15 or something, so it took me a while to figure out what field you were after.

I've found that if CONFIG_RPS is enabled skb->hash is set regardless of whether the flow is offloaded or not. However if RPS is disabled I haven't been able to piece together the path the packet traverses through the kernel.

@UBNT-afomins do you intend to publish the GPL sources with alpha3? 

Solutions: 3

@UBNT-afomins 
No link to GPL in the Beta Blog Man Sad

Or just be done with it an Bake SFE in your kernel and Wireguard  soonish as it has been submitted for Kernel Inclusion ! Man Very Happy
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17659983

@Lochnair will finally have a break XD

[ Edited ]

@Altheran

I have my doubts Smiley Tongue

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

[ Edited ]

@Lochnair  Any idea how to get around this MD5 error?  It started happening after new bootloader in ver 1.10.8.ERL md5 error.jpg

@JoeyJoe

Oh, seems they've started checking the md5sum on boot now.

You can fix it by running this one-liner in the "boot" partition to update the md5sum file.

md5sum vmlinux.64 | awk '{ print $1 }' > vmlinux.64.md5
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Thanks Lochnair.

Do I have to remove the USB and put it in a Linux machine to do this?  Or is there another way?  I only ask because the only way to see that output is with a console cable.

I won't be able to afford any downtime for a week and a half, so no rush for an answer.

@JoeyJoe

If you can get it to boot somehow, then yes, you can mount the boot partition and do it directly on the device.

If not, you'll indeed have to pull the USB.

Emerging Member

Thanks. 

It won't boot, I tired the other day to rename the old vmlinux stuff and it went further in the process but would only connect via console cable.

I'll let you know how it goes once I have time to complete it.