Quick question re: traffic graphing / VLANs

[ Edited ]

My current setup is the following:

eth0 -> WAN
eth1 -> Unassigned
eth1.10 -> VLAN10
eth1.20 -> VLAN20
eth1.30 -> VLAN30

Only the VLANs have DHCP servers and clients connecting to them. Yet, strangely, there's a fair amount of traffic being attributed to the eth1 interface. Now I'm aware that all the traffic would eventually hit the interface but it seems traffic counts on the eth1 interaface far exceed the total counts for all of the VLANs (screenshot attached).

Does anyone know why this is the case?

Thanks,
-Ryan

traffic_counts.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 9

Re: Quick question re: traffic graphing / VLANs

So I actually figured this out.. I think it's a bug with how the traffic is being counted in the GUI. It seems that as soon as I enable VLAN offloading, the traffic counts per VLAN drop drastically (I notice this most when I'm watching YouTube). As soon as I disable VLAN offloading, the traffic counts appear normal (meaning that total traffic on eth1.10-40 interfaces matches that of eth1).

@UBNT-ancheng , can you confirm this behavior? Or is this a known issue?

I'm running 1.4.1.

Thanks,
-Ryan

View solution in original post

All Replies
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5480
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

You might want to provide your config so that people can take a look. Also you could try doing packet capture and see what the non-VLAN traffic is.

Config attached. -- I'm not actually sure how to packet capture the eth1 interface since there isn't any IP traffic (except for the ERL itself, I think) or perhaps that's just untagged/garbage data broadcasts?

Attachment
Kudos: 101
Solutions: 4

im pretty sure the interface is going to show combined traffic for all subsequent VLAN's under it.. 

Hi @nayr ,

That's exactly what I expected.. The only thing it, it's showing a total a bit larger than the combined VLAN traffic. I'm trying to figure out the source fo the extra traffic. The total is greater than the sum of the parts.

Kudos: 101
Solutions: 4

I dont see ~50MB far exeeding anything; I bet if you checked the stats on the switch port it'd match up pretty close.

Do you have an untagged network on the other side of the switch? If so it'll be sending broadcasts to the interface.. Same for any tagged networks that you dont have configured on the EdgeRouter side that exist on the switch side.

So I actually figured this out.. I think it's a bug with how the traffic is being counted in the GUI. It seems that as soon as I enable VLAN offloading, the traffic counts per VLAN drop drastically (I notice this most when I'm watching YouTube). As soon as I disable VLAN offloading, the traffic counts appear normal (meaning that total traffic on eth1.10-40 interfaces matches that of eth1).

@UBNT-ancheng , can you confirm this behavior? Or is this a known issue?

I'm running 1.4.1.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Kudos: 417
Solutions: 21

I can't add anything new to @CiscoKid85's work, but I can confirm that my ERL setups include VLAN traffic in the parent interface's traffic count. If all the traffic that matters on an interface were tagged, I could simply hide the parent interface in the graph to get a reasonable impression of what's going on. On the contrary, I need to use an untagged VLAN along with tagged VLANs, so it would be great if the parent interface traffic count actually showed an accurate estimation of the amount of untagged traffic on the interface, sans the tagged traffic. In other words, the current functionality is a "bug," not a "feature" for how I use the ERL.

I think this is how the ER has to and should work. The primary interface should be a sum of the VLANs plus untagged traffic.. I'm not sure there's a way around that.

In my scenario however, it seems that the EdgeOS is somehow not counting hardware offloaded traffic in the VLAN (sub-interface) counts.

Previous Employee

Yeah the observation is correct. There have been some previous discussions on improving the "traffic visibility" such as this and it is on our TODO list.

Understood. -- Thanks @UBNT-ancheng !

Has there been any progress or workarounds to this?

The problem seems to have only gotten worse (perhaps as offloading has improved?)

I can do a speed test at 100Mbit DL and only see like 37Kbps Tx for the VLAN I'm on when offload is enabled. It's really frustrating.

Previous Employee

No it is still the same limitation of the current offload implementation and we have not gotten to that yet.

Thanks @UBNT-ancheng .

If a poor traffic shaper and inaccurate VLAN traffic counts when offloading are the only problems I have to live with, then the ERL is still a fantastic product. Keep up the good work and development. No doubt you'll have it perfected before long. Ubnt Banana

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 1

Is a fix for this being worked-on?  Still seems to be an issue in 1.7b1

Kudos: 223

Just wondering if this is in the pipeline. 

I have not updated to beta to check but will if there is an update relevent. 

I could not see anything in the release notes of subsequent versions. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

[ Edited ]

I see a fix didn't make it into 1.7 or 1.8.  Any chance of 1.9?  Is it technically possible?

Previous Employee

Yes technically it is possible and it is basically a matter of resources and other constraints so we will need to see when it may be feasible to get to implementing it.

Kudos: 3

Is this also the same for the ERPro-8? Would also snmp counters be affected by this bug?

Previous Employee

Yes the discussion above applies to VLAN traffic that gets offloaded through the "VLAN offload" feature and also affects SNMP (which uses the same counters). The physical Ethernet interfaces are not affected and do have correct counters even when traffic is offloaded (though it will only be the total of all VLANs on that interface of course).