Recommend me a setup

I am currently using a TP-LINK Archer C9 router for my wired and wireless routing. This router goes to 3 switches, one for my living room devices, one for the devices in my wife's craft room then one to the router in the distribution point of the house for wired networking to other rooms. It is also connected directly to my PC. The distribution switch is then wired up to a second PC in the master bedroom and an additional switch in my home theater hooked to all the video game systems, Blu-Ray player, TV etc. Finally there are a bunch of Wi-Fi devices, 3 WyzeCams, a few laptops and Android phones and a Ring doorbell. Wi-Fi coverage gets weak at the front of the house and the baby's bedroom, would like stronger wifi everywhere. Internet connection is 200/20 Spectrum cable.

I am planning on a network upgrade going to 2 - Unifi nanoHDs, one on the first floor centrally located and one on the second centrally located. I am looking at either the ER-X or Edgerouter Lite, not sure which, I only need it to be basic, pretty much the same as the C9 but better performance, I do not run any VLANs or plan to, so I don't think I need too much horsepower. Thinking the ER-X is all I need but if the Lite would be worth it I will go for it.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated on the whole setup.

Re: Recommend me a setup

[ Edited ]

hello,

Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite is the best choice for you !  from my personal experience and  reading ur case i would really suggest you this

I will repeat what other have said. This is not a "home" router that you would buy from a local retail store. The 3 ports do not come pre-configured for use out of the box. If you do not have knowledge of what a WAN, LAN, DHCP or DNS are then you need to skip this appliance. However, if you do understand how to setup enterprise routers then you will be happy with this model.

I purchased this appliance to replace my Untangle PC firewall. I used a PC as my "router" because I have a 200 Mbps Internet connection. Most routers would not give me my full bandwidth. Untangle running on a old PC with dual gigabit cards gave me about 190 Mbps. The EdgeRouter came with a firmware version of 1.2.0. This version of firmware is very old. Make sure to update the firmware to at least 1.9.0 before you begin the setup. The older firmware versions do not have all of the features that you will want.

NOTE: You cannot upgrade firmware version 1.2.0 directly to version 1.9.0. The upgrade will fail. You have to upgrade incrementally. I downloaded and ran each version update until I got the 1.9.0 installed. Once I had the latest firmware loaded I performed a factory reset. After a reset you will have the first time setup wizard run when you login. This makes the setup MUCH easier.

My EdgeRouter has been running for a few days now with no problems. My download speed is actually at 215 Mbps now. So this router squeezed out a few extra Mbps from my service. Yes, I know that the ISP limits the bandwidth. But I did get a performance boost from what I already had. Very happy with my purchase. (so far)

One final warning. This router has vent holes on the sides and top for a reason. They didn't put fans on it so make sure not to cover this device up or confine it to a small space. I am sure it would overheat quickly if not properly located or ventilated.

regards

jayesh

Plex  Kodi  Lucky Patcher

Veteran Member
Kudos: 856
Solutions: 305

Er-x is fine. But since your already getting unifi ap's and sounds like you aren't using anything fancy you should just keep it simple for yourself and get the unifi router.

[ Edited ]

I am not using the Unifi APs currently, that is my plan to do the full upgrade with router and the nanoHD once they are shipping.

I also don't think I've seen the Unifi router, do you have the link to it?

Veteran Member

Doing some reading and Googling comparisons it seems the EdgeRouter is more robust and supports a lot more if I do decide to do some more advanced configurations in the future.

Veteran Member

IT's the same hardware and supports the same things.