Kudos: 97
Solutions: 5

Re: Release: WireGuard for EdgeRouter

@239frank

Your best bet is the IRC channel on Freenode. We could probably also get you sorted over in the unofficial UBNT Discord, though I'm not quite sure how many other WireGuard users are in there other than me.

That's great! I investigate both avenues tonight. T habjs for the reply!

Unfortuantly I had to update to the .10 release for edgemax x and now cant use wireguard.  I tried cloning and building the changes from tssva (https://github.com/tssva/vyatta-wireguard/tree/edgeos-v1.10) however I am getting this from the module: insmod wireguard.ko
Error: could not insert module wireguard.ko: Invalid module format

I can see the kernal level is now 3.10.107-UBNT - so I suspect that is the problem.  I am not sure exactly how to build the module at the moment.  Has anybody gotten this far Man Happy

-Andy

@DocSavage

You've come to the right conclusion, but sadly there's nothing you (or we) can do before UBNT releases the GPL archives with the latest kernel tree. That's also the reason Tim's 1.10 changes aren't merged yet.

Well there you go Man Happy It all makes sense now.... Where do the release that stuff?

-Andy

The GPL sources were finally released earlier today, and so I'm happy to announce that we now have WireGuard builds for EdgeOS v1.10.

Please be aware that the changes that was done to update the configuration interface to 1.10 is largely untested, so I expect a few bugs to pop up.

I know there's quite a few bugs in 1.10 at the moment, so for those staying behind on 1.9.7, I'll maintain builds for both versions for a while.

I meant to say - where do they release the GPL code?  I would love to take a look at it...

[ Edited ]

@DocSavage

It's on the download page. You have to click on the release you want for the GPL link to show.

Kudos: 1305
Solutions: 176

@DocSavagewrote:

I meant to say - where do they release the GPL code?  I would love to take a look at it...

It is on the downloads page with the firmware.  Click on the desired entry and it will expand where you'll see two additional links - one for 'Download Release Notes' and the other for 'Download GPL Archive'

As we say here in Texas... uh-oh:

Feb 16 17:03:58 MAIN kernel: wireguard: Unknown symbol ip_tunnel_get_stats64 (err 0)

When I try to load the kernel module.

-Andy

@DocSavage

What model is that?

[ Edited ]

I have a real beginner problem. I'm so close to getting WireGuard setup on my edgemax x router. I've installed it and setup an account with Azirevpn. But when I enter wg-quick up azirevpn-us1 I get the error message:

[#] ip link add azirevpn-us1 type wireguard
[#] wg setconf azirevpn-us1 /dev/fd/63
[#] ip address add 10.40.8.43/19 dev azirevpn-us1
[#] ip address add 2606:ed00:2:4000::82c/64 dev azirevpn-us1
[#] ip link set mtu 1420 dev azirevpn-us1
[#] ip link set azirevpn-us1 up
[#] resolvconf -a tun.azirevpn-us1 -m 0 -x
/usr/bin/wg-quick: line 72: resolvconf: command not found

What am I missing or doing wrong? It looks like the issue is with resolvconf and I checked and it is in the /etc folder. Any help would be very appreciated!

@axiomdata

The issue your seeing is caused by resolvconf not being installed, which is to be expected since it's not used on EdgeOS.

wg-quick doesn't really fit on the EdgeRouters, so we've never even tested it.

The right way would be to adapt the wg-quick config to the Vyatta configuration scheme:

edit interfaces wireguard wg0
set private-key "<insert_private_key_here>"
set address <insert_ipv4_address_here>
set address <insert_ipv6_address_here>
set peer "T28Qn5VFzT4wiwEPd7DscwcP3Rsmq23QcnjH1N5G/wc=" allowed-ips 0.0.0.0/0
set peer "T28Qn5VFzT4wiwEPd7DscwcP3Rsmq23QcnjH1N5G/wc=" allowed-ips ::/0
set peer "T28Qn5VFzT4wiwEPd7DscwcP3Rsmq23QcnjH1N5G/wc=" endpoint "193.180.164.58:51820"

Please note that this will most likely fail to commit, due to you having a default route from your ISP modem in your routing table. You can stop the allowed-ip entries from getting added to the routing table automatically by setting route-allowed-ips to false.

This also doesn't cover using AzireVPN's DNS resolver. You can either set the ER-X DNS forwarder to only use their resolver, or use DNAT rules to force clients to use their resolver directly. I'd need to know more about your setup to be sure what's the best solution.

It is an edgemax x...

-Andy

@Lochnair

Thank you so much for your input! This helped alot. I followed your configuration and I now have a nice little wg0 interface up and running:

interface: wg0
  public key: kDOFAC9z9G1A8uuj87Ap+Zr8Kw6TJvtFqEWzhAJbuX0=
  private key: (hidden)
  listening port: 33800

peer: Df5xfXLo8cOxEkeZrYis9cm9QvQjAGL6UMco+X9lnHU=
  endpoint: 107.150.66.60:51820
  allowed ips: 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0
  latest handshake: 11 hours, 7 minutes, 22 seconds ago
  transfer: 13.53 KiB received, 55.33 KiB sent

I'm a little stuck on the DNS portion. My ER-X is set up to have a main network, a separate for IOT devices, and a guest connection. How should DNS be configured for this setup with Azirevpn?

Also once DNS has been configured how can I route all my traffic through the wg0 interface now that's it's active?

Thanks again!

@axiomdata

Do you have a dynamic IP on your WAN interface?

@Lochnair 

I got it to load by doing an insmod ./ip_tunnel.ko in /lib/modules/3.10.107-UBNT/kernel/net/ipv4 and then insmod wireguard.ko

now I need to figure out how to make it load that module first on boot so it will not require fiddling Man Happy

-Andy

@DocSavage

This should happen automatically when loading the wireguard module. My guess is that the file listing a modules dependencies is not updated, in which case WireGuards dependencies will not get loaded.

You can check by running:

grep wireguard /lib/modules/3.10.107-UBNT/modules.dep

If there's no output, it means you need to update the list, by doing:

sudo depmod -a

What's curious is that we run depmod automatically when the wireguard package is installed, so I can't really tell why it wouldn't have gotten updated.

[ Edited ]

@Lochnair

Yes I believe my WAN interface is a dynamic ip. 

@Lochnair 

Strange:    

grep wireguard /lib/modules/3.10.107-UBNT/modules.dep
kernel/net/wireguard.ko: kernel/net/ipv4/ip_tunnel.ko kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko

It is there but still didnt load.  I did the hand work and poof.  This is on a new clean machine.  I will do some more looking on this after I get it up and running all the way.