Kudos: 134
Solutions: 6

Re: Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

@paia wrote:

I'm really missing nice SOHO L2/L3 switch with 6-8 gigabit ports in small form factor. No PoE needed, AC/DC adapter power supply. Used with ER-X in another room with computers and other media devices, VLAN support would be nice. Now I'm using simple 5-port Zyxel home switch and it's just not so reliable as I would expect. The price could be somewhere in range $70-120.

In that same range for those exact requirements you are fighting against HP and Cisco SMB lines.

HP 1620 and 1820

Cisco 200 and 300

Unless there is a real differentiator from ubiquiti why bother?

SuperUser
Kudos: 7915
Solutions: 233

UniFi management would be nice for those...

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Kudos: 263
Solutions: 15

Why not just unify the OS on your Edgerouters and switches so that you have a single switch platform that can be used for both L2 switching and L3 routing?? Kind of like MT RB but with a single universal switch chip that can assign routing and switching functions to any port.

We need a 8-12 Gigabit port Edgerouter that's small (NOT rack mounted), DC powered, and panel mountable, preferably having a DIN rail bracket (can be optional), with ports assignable to any vlan or routing interface. I've been waiting for something like this from UBNT for many years now. Meanwhile we keep using MT RB. 

SuperUser

@Pando wrote:

Why not just unify the OS on your Edgerouters and switches so that you have a single switch platform that can be used for both L2 switching and L3 routing?? Kind of like MT RB but with a single universal switch chip that can assign routing and switching functions to any port.

We need a 8-12 Gigabit port Edgerouter that's small (NOT rack mounted), DC powered, and panel mountable, preferably having a DIN rail bracket (can be optional), with ports assignable to any vlan or routing interface. I've been waiting for something like this from UBNT for many years now. Meanwhile we keep using MT RB. 

They went with the edgepoint idea instead.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online

[ Edited ]

@esseph wrote:

Yes, I see that, and it's great for what it's designed for. But trying to mount the EP into an equipment box is stupid. We need more routing ports there than are available on an ER, and rack mount is out of the question. So it's either multiple UBNT router-on-a-stick units with TS and VLANs or just a MT RB. We chose MT RB.

It would be nice to have the EP-R8 in the same form factor and port count as the Toughswitch.

SuperUser

@Pando wrote:

@esseph wrote:

Yes, I see that, and it's great for what it's designed for. But trying to mount the EP into an equipment box is stupid. We need more routing ports there than are available on an ER, and rack mount is out of the question. So it's either multiple UBNT router-on-a-stick units with TS and VLANs or just a MT RB. We chose MT RB.

It would be nice to have the EP-R8 in the same form factor and port count as the Toughswitch.

You need more than 12 or 16 ports?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 26

@Pando

Either you have a very niche case or you could be doing it differently. I'm not going to guess as to which is the case, but it's unlikely such drastic changes would be made to the UBNT lineup to accomadate those needs.

While some situations cannot change, I would strongly look at changing the other side of things to be able to work with more standardized equipment. You don't want to back yourself into a corner so that only 1 or 2 vendors control what you spend money on, because they will control it to get as much out of you as possible.

@esseph wrote:

You need more than 12 or 16 ports?

No. I need more than 5 routed ports on a single small form factor switch. 8+ ports is fine.

[ Edited ]

@clickwir wrote:

Either you have a very niche case or you could be doing it differently.

@clickwir I don't think so. I simply need more than 5 routed ports on a small form factor switch, as I mentioned above. I don't quite understand why is that considered a niche case? While I agree that ubnt is specializing for wisps, and it perhaps is not common "yet", but perhaps we're just farther ahead of the game? Man Very Happy

@clickwir wrote:

I would strongly look at changing the other side of things to be able to work with more standardized equipment. You don't want to back yourself into a corner so that only 1 or 2 vendors control what you spend money on, because they will control it to get as much out of you as possible.

I have a choice between MT, Cisco, and a couple of other vendors that can produce a small switch with more than 5 router ports. It's not as proprietary as you might think. Ubnt should be right there in the game.

SuperUser

[ Edited ]

@Pando wrote:

@clickwir wrote:

Either you have a very niche case or you could be doing it differently.

@clickwir I don't think so. I simply need more than 5 routed ports on a small form factor switch, as I mentioned above. I don't quite understand why is that considered a niche case? While I agree that ubnt is specializing for wisps, and it perhaps is not common "yet", but perhaps we're just farther ahead of the game? Man Very Happy

@clickwir wrote:

I would strongly look at changing the other side of things to be able to work with more standardized equipment. You don't want to back yourself into a corner so that only 1 or 2 vendors control what you spend money on, because they will control it to get as much out of you as possible.

I have a choice between MT, Cisco, and a couple of other vendors that can produce a small switch with more than 5 router ports. It's not as proprietary as you might think. Ubnt should be right there in the game.

Does the ER-X-SFP not work for you? You get the SFP port, and 5 routed/switched ports WITH POE output, and optional DC in.

Working SFPs run from $6 on extended temp range from fiberstore, to $16 for copper (again, extended temp range). @Pando

[ Edited ]

@esseph Josh, in the projects I'm involved with, I usually need 6-8 ports, most of them need to be routed. Yes, I can use the ER-X-SFP for sites that need 6 ports, but I'll be maxed out, and then I need an additional layer-2 switch with VLANs trunked to the router. I prefer to use a single switch for simplicity's sake in configuration and wiring standardized across most sites (and so do my clients).

Most of these are small cell sites, with 2-3 backhaul radios, PLC, power monitor (UPS or solar), WiFi AP, and 1-2 cameras. Trying to use UBNT network equipment for this is a pain to say the least, trying to cobble up a solution that I can standardize across most sites and to keep the equipment count down. EP-R8 is almost there, but it's a wrong form factor and I need to install it into a box.

For now I am using RB493G in a metal case, which gives me 9 Gi ports and does the job just fine. I just wish that the EP-R8 is available in the form factor of a ToughSwitch. Or better yet - the ability to mount on a DIN rail. That would be great. My clients could buy truckloads of them for new projects or to upgrade existing sites. It would also open UBNT to markets outside wisps - such as process control, traffic, surveillance networks that are based on small and inexpensive, but redundant cells connected together via multiple wireless links all routed by OSPF.

SuperUser

We have used the 19" rack mount boxes from Bison Fabrication in the past. They are good size, and can be built to spec at reasonable prices.

Thanks Josh,

Those are mounted in existing scada boxes, which often have very limited space available. That, and the low 113F temperature rating on the entire ER line disqualify them right off our consideration.

I'm reasonably happy with the RB493G, and are starting to look at the new CRS112-8G-4S-IN, which seems to be even better. I hope ubnt decides to come up with a panel mount unit that has the EP-R8 functionality at some point.

Kudos: 14
Solutions: 2

gui for everything non of this cli rubbish so 1960's

pppoe/radius server with ability to link to whmcs cause aircrm is useless and is going to be in beta for another 50 years with ability to divert users to a payment portal (move the user to an unpiad group maybe like tl-er5120 can)

4 wan port load balancing

users and groups so can give users different speeds

ebulletin

basically everything a tpink tl-er5120 can do but with a bit of ubiquiti magic

Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

In addition to what we are working on, as always we are looking for ideas for other hardware models. If you have particular hardware requirements/suggestions, please post them in this thread. Here are some examples of the details that may be helpful:

• Number of ports?

8 are ok for the high end and for the low end 5

• 100M, 1G, or 10G ports (how many each)? 
  • 2 10 G fiber and 6 1 g copper
  • Copper (RJ45) or SFP/SFP+ (how many each)?
  • 6 coper 2 fiber
  • Form factor (e.g., rackmount or small like ER Lite)?
  • rackmount for the big small can be stand alone prefer vertical for better flow of the air
  • Power supply (e.g., AC vs. DC, dual redundant, etc.)?
  • redundant we use for datacenter ISP we need that on the big routers small beter dc can change adaptor if any problem 
  • Is PoE input (use PoE to power the router) needed?
  • on the high end model NO others yes...
  • Is PoE output needed? If so, what kinds (24V vs. 48V, passive vs. auto-sensing) and how many ports?
  • auto sensing some customers use cisco 48 volt ph need 24-48 v
  • "Real" ports or "emulated/switched" ports? For example, all three ports on ER Lite are "real" (1 Gbps each to CPU), but the last three ports on the ER PoE are "emulated/switched", i.e., they are connected to a switch which is then connected to the CPU with 1 Gbps.
  • low end routers can be emulated are excelente for residential and small office
  • In addition to the network interfaces, any peripheral requirements, for example, serial console port (or not), external USB ports, minimum memory size, etc. etc. serial console same as cisco ports will be very helpfull just in case any problem on the web interface we can access from other equipment to get acces to the CLI
  • A deployment scenario (e.g., with diagram etc.) would be really helpful!

switches need REAL OSPF to by the best on the market

• Expected price?
  • competitive to microtick and other same level products on the market

Note that when posting suggestions, please also take "feasibility" into consideration! Icon Wink Thanks very much for your participation, and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 1

For domestic use, it would be nice if all the ports and the power were on the rear side with status lights on the front. It just looks better that way with the wires tucked away at the rear.

Kudos: 71
Solutions: 10

+99999 for 10Gbe ports at least 2! I would buy it right out the door today if there was one.

Kudos: 5

I think many will support me if I told you that you need to pay more attention to cooling devices! Please make a more massive heat sinks and attach snaps and normal thermal compound!

Say - NO Scotch!

Highlighted
Kudos: 14

[ Edited ]

Been doing a lot of reading about NBase-T and this lead me to a great idea for a high-end SOHO to medium business device. This is basically my dream all-in-one device SOHO device.

- Rack mount

- 12 ports, four of which are shared

- Four routed 1Gb ports. For WAN and "older" 1Gb switch uplinks. Optionally make these multi-Gb (MG) for a Pro model...?

- The four shared should be 10G/5G/2.5G/1G/100M routed ports, with options for copper RJ-45 or SFP+. These would be used for routing between infrastructure switches and out to the net. Or copper only for non-Pro to lower costs.

- Four MG (5G/2.5G/1G/100M) real switched POE ports. Similar to how the ER-POE is built, but faster and on a bigger device. These would be for connecting AC Wave 2 devices directly to the router without using bridging or the like. I guess auto-sensing PoE to take the guess work out. 2 x 10Gb connections to the CPU on the PRO line so you could do the full 4 x 5Gb scenario. 1x10Gb should be enough fro non-PRO IMO.

- Hardware-based AES encryption and RNG for near zero impact VPN tunneling.

- Faster processor, more RAM to handle all the MG traffic

- Optional dual power supplies. One DC and one AC. Most people will use AC. Those who want redundancy can opt for a power block and add DC. Cuts on costs of adding the parts/space for a second full PSU while making the feature available. Non-Pro with single PSU, PRO with optional DC redundant.

Deployment would be for a small to medium sized site. Four switched MG POE ports for AC Wave 2 WAPs. Four 10Gb switch ports for high speed switch interconnects (4 switches or 2 switches using LACP for redundancy and faster aggregate interconnects). Two ports for a dual-WAN scenario to the Internet. The final two ports to connect to lower-end switches with 1Gb (PRO: MG) interconnects.

It would essentially be the most badass all-in-one SOHO/MB router ever made.

Pricetag... hard to say. There's isn't a lot of MG out there yet, since final radification isn't due until March 2016. With that much horsepower I would guesstimate $750-$800 for regular and upwards of $1000 for Pro-level. 

[ Edited ]

SOHO Version: 1 Gbit LAN, External USB ports and Wi-Fi.

Kill with fire mi@#$tik.