Established Member
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 65

Re: Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

See EdgeRouter-8-XG, EdgeRouter-4, EdgeRouter-6.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1460
Solutions: 119

The ER-4 has four cores, nearly twice the processing power of an ERPro-8, and sells for roughly half as much.

The ER-8-XG has sixteen cores and ten times the processing power of an ERPro-8.

Kudos: 2

I know that but bear with me a moment okey ? First do you recall the threat of the guy doing an estimation of the power of the infinity ? It was pretty loosy if I remember correctly no?

So I guess it’s because of the type of cpu used ?
So I guess the er4 won’t do any better ? And plus I would really like the same rack form and the same number of ports of er8 pro
Of course the er4 or er6 are great for those who are not already have a rackmount setup....
and just out of curiosity, what are you gonna do if your old er8 pro for example ? A vpn setup?
Veteran Member

It's possible there may be a bit of a language barrier here, so please bear with us as well.

vigilian wrote:
do you recall the threat of the guy doing an estimation of the power of the infinity ? It was pretty loosy if I remember correctly no?

So I guess it’s because of the type of cpu used ?

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/

I would really like the same rack form and the same number of ports of er8 pro
Of course the er4 or er6 are great for those who are not already have a rackmount setup....

An inexpensive rackmount kit is available for the ER-4/6.  Anyone want to take a guess at the percentage of ER-8 installations which use more than six ports?

true about the number of ports.  I don't say that I have a valid point here, as I said it was certainly stupid questions.

And as right now, I can't retrieve the thread from november or october about the guy being pissed off about the "infinity" performance and the whole debat was about the number of packets the infinity could process and the guys was comparing to other brands where in case of a DDOS attack for example, the infinity would be annihilated ....

Sad that I can't retrieve the thrad, maybe it has been deleted. And so I wanted to have your opinion on that?

I'm going to look for the rackmount, thanks for the tip. Don't hesitate if  you retrieve the link.

Established Member
Kudos: 929
Solutions: 131

I remember that thread and IMO it was really nothing more than a pointless and baseless rant.  There are those that need to vent and feel public forums are the best place for that.  I'm not going to waste my time to try to find that thread which likely does still exist.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet, particularly in anonymous/semi-anonymous public forums.

The comparison link referenced by @MimCom is worthy of a review, particularly the 64-byte packet throughput and PPS details.

key glad I'm not hallucinating at least. I thank I need some explanation about all that to understand a bit better the situation and how the numbers in that review is related  to one each other. If you do have some docs which would explain the whole story and so some usecase maybe, I'm all ears. thanks in advance.

Established Member
Kudos: 929
Solutions: 131

The short answer is that the ER-8-XG is more than capable of withstanding a DoS attack.  The Infinity can handle more than the maximimum possible number of packets possible through a 10Gbps interface with room to spare (this is what 64-byte packet specs represent).

As for real-world forwarding performance, with 1518-byte packets an ER-8-XG is rated to forward 10Gbps through all eight ports simultaneously.

a big thanks to you to reassure me about this point.
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 3

If you are talking about 8 core chips, like what cellphones use, we're talking about 100$ overhead... which would be fine

I would love a VDSL port so much! 

Established Member
Kudos: 128
Solutions: 2

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 1

Neat; i had no idea such existed as SFP devices.
Tad expensive, but cool none the less!
Highlighted
Veteran Member

Those appear to be intended for use on campus of building wiring.  Lower down on that page, there is a link to https://www.versatek.com/product/vx-160ce-vdsl2-sfp-modem-remote-telco-grade/

Wish they offered an ADSL2 variant.  CenturyLink still hasn't deployed VDSL here.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

energy efficient, fanless designs with integrated PSUs

Try to find a 24 or 48 port switch with a good CLI that doesn´t require more than 15--20 watts and is fanless ...

An ErPRo-8 is awfully loud.  Please use at least Noctua fans.

Kudos: 86
Solutions: 5

BNG Features

We were running PPPoE BNGs on ER8Ps, but they just didn't have the CPU to run higher speed plans (100, 200, 400) with any kind of user load.  We moved over to IPoE running on a Juniper MX BNG and are quite happy with it but are growing and need some more serious hardware to run more then 1K subs.  We will likely move to a vMX BNG setup for our next BNG, but I thought I'd revisit UBNT with newer hardware.  In theory, the ER infinity should be able to support 500-1K subs on a BNG based on the hardware.

Does Edgemax support BNG functions for IPoE?

Defined dynamic interfaces:

Create logical interfaces for each sub based on vlan profiles.  i.e When it recieves a packet on interface X with outter vlan X and inner vlan Y it creates a logical interface for it and then authenticates DHCP requests on that interface via radius and applies DHCP pool, framed IP, Framed routes, filters, etc.  

I could just be missing something but it would seem this sort of functionality would be exactly what WISPs need.  

Veteran Member

Re: BNG Features

I would love to see some form of IPoE support.  Maybe EdgeOS 2.0 could accommodate?

Kudos: 1

Request I am not experienced user and i think that lot of user like me.  I do not know how to use commands. i know only how to use wizard in web browser. 

I have EdgeRouter X SFP 

I would like to have in wizard to setup bridge mode for this router. 

My EdgeRouter X SFP lay on table and it is switched off. I have to wait for new firmware and i hope to have there bridge mode in wizard. 

Thank you. 

Kudos: 200
Solutions: 28

@AlfredJohanson wrote:

I have EdgeRouter X SFP 

I would like to have in wizard to setup bridge mode for this router. 

What exactly do you want to do?  "Bridge mode" doesn't really mean anything.

Veteran Member

Try the Switch Wizard.  That will give you a managed layer 2 switch (aka multi-port bridge) with VLAN support.