Veteran Member
Kudos: 2495
Solutions: 120

Re: Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

jabettan wrote:

Why would you need a modular backplane?

IE. what can you not do with SFP+ that you are expecting to do with modular cards?

SFP+ doesn't provide enough power for PoE I believe. You also don't have any options for 10x 1gb ports or 1x 10gb port. Also no choice between routed vs switched ports.

can somone tell me the dbm of the  NanoBeamM5 400 in compilance test country ( sory my english is not veri good )

tank u very much i want 2 buy one but i ned 2 now the dbm

Veteran Member

andreiinmortal wrote:

can somone tell me the dbm of the  NanoBeamM5 400 in compilance test country ( sory my english is not veri good )

tank u very much i want 2 buy one but i ned 2 now the dbm

You probably want to post in the AirMAX section. This is section is about EdgeMAX routers, not wireless devices of any sort.

That said, you should find all you need to know from the datasheet that can be downloaded from the ubnt webwsite. Compliance test mode has been removed.

Kudos: 128
Solutions: 7

i'm sure it's been said already, but mSATA instead of USB for system storage would be nice.

oh and a faster CPU! (or SSL crypto offload) Man Happy

Veteran Member

mhmm, mSATA would be nice. Probably depends on SoC capabilities though.

Advantage is modular and easily replaceable if it fails, but also likely to be more reliable and faster than the death-prone USB sticks in use already in the ERL models.

NVX wrote:

Advantage is modular and easily replaceable if it fails, but also likely to be more reliable and faster than the death-prone USB sticks in use already in the ERL models.

waaaaaay faster and waaaaay more reliable. Man Happy

and ugh, didn't know the USB drives were flaky, only had my ERL for a few weeks.

but hey, whole package is $98. what can ya do, eh Man Wink

Established Member
Kudos: 383
Solutions: 40

train_wreck wrote:

NVX wrote:

waaaaaay faster and waaaaay more reliable. Man Happy

and ugh, didn't know the USB drives were flaky, only had my ERL for a few weeks.

but hey, whole package is $98. what can ya do, eh Man Wink

Considering the price point, I have to agree.  If it were several hundred, I might ask for more, but at $98.........

....Holy @%#$, I'm impressed! Yikes

Established Member
Solutions: 2

if you ask me, I'd rather have sd or micro-sd for system storage, and have that accessible from the outside...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 1

As a newbie with only a bit of self taught networking:

Its a bit of a showstopper when you get a basic config that then has to be modified via the CLI; if it's a feature in the GUI, then it should be fully implemented, not needing resort to the cli.

Example: basic wizard does not allow changing of ip ranges for the lan ports - why not? Given that if one is linking lans etc one should try to use subnets that are NOT the norms (ie 192.168.1.0/24, and 2/24), that's a pain! Given that in this tread apparently seasoned networkers are saying they dont have time to learn a new CLI, how do you think it feels for people like me with no experience of CLI configuration??!!

It seems inconsistent, is all!

Veteran Member

orangehand wrote:

As a newbie with only a bit of self taught networking:

Its a bit of a showstopper when you get a basic config that then has to be modified via the CLI; if it's a feature in the GUI, then it should be fully implemented, not needing resort to the cli.

Example: basic wizard does not allow changing of ip ranges for the lan ports - why not? Given that if one is linking lans etc one should try to use subnets that are NOT the norms (ie 192.168.1.0/24, and 2/24), that's a pain! Given that in this tread apparently seasoned networkers are saying they dont have time to learn a new CLI, how do you think it feels for people like me with no experience of CLI configuration??!!

It seems inconsistent, is all!

After the wizard is run you can edit the IP ranges in the GUI. I'm not sure why you think CLI is needed for this.

That being said, this thread is about hardware models, not anything to do with software. I suggest creating a thread about this if you want to discuss it further rather than derailing this one.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 24

Apologies! Where do you suggest I shift it to? The Edgemax forum?

Veteran Member

orangehand wrote:

Apologies! Where do you suggest I shift it to? The Edgemax forum?

Yup! Don't be afraid to start your own thread. Man Happy

external USB port on the edgerouter lite? for external storage.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 76
Solutions: 4

A mini-USB console connector next to the DB9 connector (modern laptops lack DB9).

Established Member
Solutions: 2

bonienl wrote:

A mini-USB console connector next to the DB9 connector (modern laptops lack DB9).

the current console connector is a cisco-style RJ45...

Veteran Member

bonienl wrote:

But then you need an appropriate cable anyway, and usb is limited to fairly short distances.

Might as well just throw a USB-RS232 serial adapter into your laptop bag instead. Man Happy

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

USB device connection would open up some interesting options because USB has great support for compound devices-- e.g. console, mass storage device (for de-bricking and out of band firmware upgrades). Most importantly, just about every SOC CPU on the market has this...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

[ Edited ]

I would like a convenient way to configure the EdgeRouter as a WINS server. I think it would be very useful for anyone who wants to get name resolution working over a VPN tunnel without setting up a separate WINS server.

You could possibly use lwins for this instead of samba to reduce the space required.

*edit*

I just realized this is probably not the correct place to offer suggestions on software, since this thread is about hardware.

NVX wrote:

bonienl wrote:

But then you need an appropriate cable anyway, and usb is limited to fairly short distances.

Might as well just throw a USB-RS232 serial adapter into your laptop bag instead. Man Happy

I have a couple of USB to serial cables which I have used successfully with cisco routers, but which don't seem to work with the Edgerouter's I have (cheap PL2303's).

The PL2303's do have pretty crap driver support on windows 7/8, so that's probably (at least partially) why. Though it is a bit inconvenient to source a compatible USB serial adapter (FT232 or CP2102 should work).

I ordered a couple of FT232 cables on ebay (USB to RJ45 directly, instead of USB to DB9 to RJ45)

Anyway, as far as hardware suggestions go, I would also perhaps like to see more processing power added to them, so they can better handle things like VPN encryption, or basically anything that puts them under load really.

Kudos: 219

I know the EdgeSwitch just came out so this might be a bit early, but Smiley Very Happy

It would be great to see some distribution switches added to the EdgeSwitch line:

• 12 to 16 port SFP 1G distribution switch
  • 12 to 16 port SFP+ 10G distribution switch

Also, some UBNT-branded SFPs that were priced affordably would be a nice touch Smiley Happy

And also, a dense 100BX fiber switch (24 or 48-port) to match up with the rumored FiberStation (I hope you guys are still working on this) would be huge in enabling smaller providers in delievering FTTH.

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/Upcoming-Products/FiberStation/td-p/617771  

Kudos: 2

I think these have all been suggested before, but here's what I'd like to see:

1. Faster CPU
  2. non-USB storage
  3. Failover support

I've had too many USB memory sticks die on me, and faster would be nice.

For failover support I mean two EdgeRouters linked together, not support for WAN failover.