Kudos: 247
Solutions: 2

Re: Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

[ Edited ]

I guess I don't see 10G being used much in a actual edge router. Unless you have a WAN speed faster than 1Gb.

That said if you intend to make/sell a router than is NOT for the edge.....call it CoreMax....instead of EdgeMAX.  10Gb would be very useful.   Selling it loaded with modules clustered in groups of (4) ports would be useful.

one module would have SFP+ ports, the other 10Gb copper. But such a product would need to support L3, aka Cisco level router switch with an entry price of $350 loaded with either two (3) port 1Gb copper modules or one 10Gbe module (SFP+ or copper).

Sell the 4 port 10Gb copper modules for $200 each, the 4 port SFP+ 10Gb modules @ $350

$1400 for a loaded 16 port SFP+ 10Gb switch would be a great deal.

In software allow ports to be changed to stackable type ports. (16 port and 24 port models)

Ex. If you have (2) 16-port versions you use 1 port on each to stack...so you'd have 30 usable ports between the two.

Alternately you could just use 10GBase-SR fiber ports since that is the general direction 10 fiber is heading as a cost savings measure. 

The closest competitor is the Netgear XS712T with 12 copper 10Gbe ports and that's a L2 switch with minimal management.

Kudos: 21
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

well usually things you don't see, din't tend to cease to exist, in most cases/outside dreams.

but i was noticed you personal Opinions, which is differs from mine, thanks.

10Gbps copper no big deal. its more about "chicken or egg" dillema for market development. so early-adopters - get Major share of market aside contributing to its development and improving services and restore World balance and fight evil super-powers from space Man Happy

Nope, thats for Edge, even more - for Home use.

if you dind't noticed, i was talked bout Two models. future ERL replacement/addition in major msg body and in post-scriptum - bout carrier BRAS and Backbone routers, respecitvely.

there isn't "should be" in networking. which is, btw, so many ppl - tend to choose Ubnt, for example over "CYSCO" (c).

basically basphermous things, you're talking about - well-describe entry CCR routers from competing company, whos copying had Zero point from both technical and marketing grounds/perspective and "flawed by design", sadly.

that(both things im talkin bout) could be affordabe/ubq/handy L5-router with small(and medium) amount of 10Gbps copper ports, with market-shaping impact, just like ERL and ERP did/perform previously, forcing competitors quit using "chips from trashcan" atleast for mid-range products(on less degree, than consumers application workfload/scenarios demand).

you also may notice, thats i wasn't insisted thats 10Gbps was MANDATORY, but it could be Big, important step ahead. for company, market, consumers. basiclly galvanizing/catalyzing it enough for awhile.

good 28nm 1G PHY with MACSec and SecId support could b enough. probably with ultra-fast DMA IO.

may you critize other portions of my suggestions little more, thus, instead ? thanks.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 22

[ Edited ]

Actually, it would be great if the EdgeRouter could run the UniFi controller...

Kudos: 247

This has been brought up before many many times.  They said it couldn't be done easily....but then resently someone DID do it with a raspberry pie.  It was slow and RAM starved but If you recreated it using Ubiquiti's CPU and added 1GB of ram onboard all sorts of options open up.

The root problem is the UniFi controller runs on Java....which makes it a bit of a hardware pig. 

Emerging Member

OK... so... redesign it so it doesn't use Java...

Established Member
Kudos: 1004
Solutions: 80
Contributions: 9

nog wrote:

Which has nothing to do with EdgeMAX.

Emerging Member

mrjester wrote:

nog wrote:

so from your post I assume you would want me to open another thread just for this in the UniFi forums and never post any massages in this forum that do not have a direct connection to EdgeMax, though they may have an indirect one just one post up the thread. yes???

Established Member
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 26
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

I would like to see the ER-POE on a Toughswitch 8 configuration.  Make 2-8 all on a hardware switch.

well its slightly offtopic, yes in edgemax thread, but may be interesting input for ubnt team too.

get rid of Java ? sure. rewrite it on Erlang and compile to binaries(jit exec used only for development by programmers) and run on bare metal.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2538
Solutions: 120

nog wrote:

mrjester wrote:

nog wrote:

so from your post I assume you would want me to open another thread just for this in the UniFi forums and never post any massages in this forum that do not have a direct connection to EdgeMax, though they may have an indirect one just one post up the thread. yes???

Pretty much, yeah.

If you want a UniFi appliance, ask the UniFi guys for one. Just like AirVision got an NVR appliance.

At the same time though, the UniFi controller only needs low bandwidth connectivity to the APs, so a better UniFi-controller-in-the-cloud offering would probably be an even better solution than a UniFi controller appliance. No need to worry about hardware reliability then.

Kudos: 4

Updates to ER Lite

-Shielded RJ45 ports

-USB Port to connect

-Serial Console

-External flash to upgrade firmware or backup configuration

-Cell phone tether for emergency access to router for remote deployments

-Power cable retention to prevent disconnects

-Kensington slot or padlock loop to prevent theft

Established Member
Kudos: 383
Solutions: 40

[ Edited ]

I like the idea of a built in power supply. 

Not just EdgeMax here, but throughout all lines it would be nice to see POE become complient with all conventional standards.  Can I safely power my UniFi AP off my Cisco catalyst switch?  Can I safely power my $3K Pelco PTZ security cameras from an ER-PoE?  I haven't seen a difinitive answer to that question that leaves me comfortable trying it.

An 8, 24, and 48 port switche model for L2 and maybe L3 would be a great addition to the line up.  2 or 4 SFP ports included on them would be even nicer.  Rackmount, wallmount, and deskmount options.

A factory rackmount option for the ERL would be nice.  Looks like I'm going after-market.

[ Edited ]

depend quality of ERL rackmount kits.

otherwise it may raise cooling issues for 2x and 4x packs/kits even in heavily cooled-down racks.

generally built-in PSU had two major issues: 1. it cost space within unit(sometimes composed dense) 2. it may cause EMI issues.

as for PoE OUT-put, then i was found that using PoE smart switch or (sometimes)PoE injectors - may be simpler.

Veteran Member

BigJ wrote:

Updates to ER Lite

-Shielded RJ45 ports

They already are shielded ports. Now being that its only a 2-pin connection via the DC barrel jack connector I doubt they would have a connection to earth. What you probably want is either an earthing lug (which may be on the metal cased ERL's - I haven't seen any in person yet) on the case, and/or an earthed power supply that brings the mains earth to the ERL as well.

Veteran Member

CowboyJed wrote:

I like the idea of a built in power supply.

A factory rackmount option for the ERL would be nice.  Looks like I'm going after-market.

Built in power supplies make it harder to power from DC sources (think solar), so if this is done it should only be done on the condition that an alternative DC power option is permitted in addition so that warranties don't have to be voided for use with solar/etc setups.

+1 to factory rack mounts/etc. On the topic of which I'm also a tad disappointed that the ER8 and ER8Pro's can't have the rack wings removed or rotated 90 degrees for desktop use and wall (or small outdoor waterproof enclosure!) mounting.

[ Edited ]

you had point.

thats why im think, that in "best case scenario" of design

(when you had both free space in enclosure and free monetary resources in production budget),

network gear - should have BOTH jack-in power supply(with mild brown-out tolerance. thanks to extra DC-DC conversion, for example) with decent high-frequency AC-DC tranformation inside enclosure with active input/drop(from AC) .

so basically DC power input become auxilary for indoor use and primary for outdoor. for example. but you outlined major usage pretty well.

and anyone win.

but personally i think 12v DC input is good enough and practical for mainstream stuff. and more safer electrically and biologically(if external AC-DC PSU designed REALLY well)awell as more bio-dammage-proof.

p.s.

big thumbs up for suggesting for shielded RJ45/8P8C connectors adoption in ER. making ER more STP-friendly - big jump, IMO. especially cause using STP outdoor was mandatory(for huge number of reasons, if im read it correctly)>

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

Basiley wrote:

network gear - should have BOTH jack-in power supply(with mild brown-out tolerance. thanks to extra DC-DC conversion, for example) with decent high-frequency AC-DC tranformation inside enclosure with active input/drop(from AC) .

but personally i think 12v DC input is good enough and practical for mainstream stuff. and more safer electrically and biologically(if external AC-DC PSU designed REALLY well)awell as more bio-dammage-proof.

The ERL can actually accept from 9V to 24V on its input jack. Switch mode regulators make wide input ranges pretty easy. Man Very Happy

Ideally if you have DC and AC inputs (either from a switchable modular power supply, or just both from the one PSU) you'd not want to use a barrel jack connector cause you'd only use those with a plug pack really. Either nice screw down terminals (with a plastic cover to prevent accidental shorting) or some form of latching connector to prevent accidental falling out. DC barrel jacks suck...

AC mains connectors at least require a little force to unplug, so accidental unplugging is rare.

If using an in-built AC PSU though, for the love of god please no clover leaf connectors!

Also looks like there are grounding tabs on the back of the EdgeRouters that take DC input (ERL-3 and ER5-PoE).

Kudos: 86
Solutions: 6

1. The "carrier" model. $1200-$1800

• 8-12 1Gbe RJ45/SFP combo ports
  • 4 10Gbe SFP+ ports
  • Console port
  • Rackmount
  • Dual AC PSU using NEMA C14 socket
  • All dedicated ports
  • Ram 8Gb, upgradable to 16gb or 32gb. ECC preffered
  • CPUs dual or quad cpus with quad cores or more at faster clock speeds
  • Redundant storage: dual mPCI-e or USB3 ports or both. 
  • mPCI-e could be leveraged for other devices. 3/4G, wifi, etc.
  • lacp support at hardware level rather than using the linux bonding code in software 
  • Purpose would be network core router. 
  • - 10G to virtualization environment
  • - 10G to switch uplink
  • - Gbe ports to other (internet, load balancers, VPN hardware, physically isolated DMZ swiches, etc.)

jack gives you flexibility. lan-parties, grown-ups meetings, town parades, flashmobs, just name event, wehre you may like temporally re-deploy you ERL, sometimes.

and yes, i DO really like jack input to devices. its practical AND reliable. which both make lot sense to me thru my living experience. some may find something gender-specific in such preferences, but im strongly reject such allegations Man Happy

but you had point. simple/roubust/inexpensive jack port fixator - may be important part of design in gear exterior.

what AC jack you prefer instead of clowerleaf ?(i assume you mean socket, used in ERL PSU AC input ? personally i find it handy for anything lowe-powered, from ham radios to computer displays PSU) computer AC socket are okay enough ?

and yes, seems ERL3 had correct/complete grounding, if im reading shematics internet ERL PCB photos/pictures.

Veteran Member

ellisway wrote:
  • Gbe ports to other (load balancers)

Actually raises an interesting point software wise - when you have high PPS packet forwarding that can do NAT just as fast load balancing (ie, service load balancing) seems like an interesting potential area that ubnt can start getting into leveraging existing hardware. Either flash the load balancer firmware, or have it as a dual mode device.

Bonus points if you can add layer7 options with offloading too, but even just layer4 service load balancing would be an interesting featureset that wouldn't require anything new offload or kernel wise.