Veteran Member
Kudos: 2495
Solutions: 120

Re: Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

Basiley wrote:

what AC jack you prefer instead of clowerleaf ?(i assume you mean socket, used in ERL PSU AC input ? personally i find it handy for anything lowe-powered, from ham radios to computer displays PSU) computer AC socket are okay enough ?

IEC C14. Why? Because every other bit of kit in my rack uses it (except the ER8/ER8Pro grr!). I can use the same IEC C13 -> IEC C14 cables to go from the IEC C13 power out port on my UPS's and PDU's to plug straight into the EdgeRouter. I also have a tonne of IEC C14 cables floating around.

Now compare to cloverleaf connectors, where at least here in Australia, are used by pretty much nothing except notebook power supplies and ubiquiti kit (the unearthed figure-8 looking variant is quite popular though for ungrounded clocks/cd players/etc though), and as such can usually only be found in cable lengths of about 25cm and usually for 5x the price of a C14 cable of an actual useful length.

I'm not sure if this lack-of-cloverleaf-connectors is common in other countries, but in Australia its rare, and even rarer in datacenter and switch cabinet environments.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, most of the Ubiquiti kit I get comes with US, EU or UK power cables. The only times it comoes with an AU power cable is when the local distributor opens the box, throws out the other countries power cable and replaces it with an AU power cable (and depending on where you get it from, sometimes charges extra for this service).

Kudos: 21
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

IEC C14 should be/looks fine.

its actually what i meant as "computer AC jack", ironically Man Wink

clowerleaf was some minor advantages for low-power gear. like more safer(in terms of electrical shock risk), less electro-errosion-prone(insignificant for weak/not hungry gear), more compact and more mecanically strong.

both types will be okay in my opinion.

basically random-type, quite cheap and well-built(if you pick brand/company, wisely, purchasing)can be bough from Chinese plants in no times. you even can get extra-conditions, if you didn't behave like **bleep**, commnicating/negoriating with factory folks(some salespersons/logistic grew IT- tend to, sadly for random reasons).

and yes, im agree thats "load-balancing" portion of upcoming(i hope) "2 Wan, 1 Lan" Wizard for EdgeOS, aswell as Fail-over portion and even combination of them. just like basic traffic shaping and customisable jumpstart IPS Wizard will be, IMO.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2495
Solutions: 120

Basiley wrote:

clowerleaf was some minor advantages for low-power gear. like more safer(in terms of electrical shock risk), less electro-errosion-prone(insignificant for weak/not hungry gear), more compact and more mecanically strong.

and yes, im agree thats "load-balancing" portion of upcoming(i hope) "2 Wan, 1 Lan" Wizard for EdgeOS, aswell as Fail-over portion and even combination of them. just like basic traffic shaping and customisable jumpstart IPS Wizard will be, IMO.

Those advantages make sense for the IEC C14 (ie, computer ones), not for clover leaf... Voltage is the same, so safety/electric shock risk is identical. Not really sure what you mean by "electro-erosion-prone" but C14 is a better electrical connection than clover leaf. Space wise they really take up the same amount of space when you think of the smallest rectangle that can fit each type of connector, and either way it's not an option on a 1U rack mount piece of kit, it's plenty tall enough to fit the connector. And more mechanically strong, I'm pretty sure C14 wins out here too, but it's a fairly moot point as both are quite strong sturdy connectors.

By load balancing I actually meant service load balancing (ie, balance between these two servers), not internet connection load balancing, ie 2 WAN 1 LAN (which is already possible in the latest release of EdgeOS's firmware anyway, although I'm not sure if there's a wizard or not for it).

[ Edited ]

rounded/curved and polished(and sometimes surface-hardened. termically or laser-based, usually)contacts was more electro-chemicaly-resistant. meant - less proned to errosion, caused not usual for networking gear power(nor outbreaks/shorts, that kill gear way before socket)flow.

as for safety i meant - bit(fraction of procent)less electric shock risk in extra-humidity conditions.

as for load balancing - its just solving same kind of problem with different layers(and thus - solutions, tand to differ, but not much). things get moving around it last two years. for example - heartbeat will standardised(no need to use ICMP echo anymore Man Wink. generally both stuff - really well-demanded by consumers, so i hope we're see improvements in EdgeOS in that respect.

p.s. sorry for (obvious)troubles reading/understanding my posts. i wasn't good in communicating with live people nor good in communicating at all. multiply this to my weak/messy "engrish" and you probably got nightmares, doing it.

SuperUser
Kudos: 7879
Solutions: 233

Sometimes you should just relax and drink more braga.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog

[ Edited ]

hm, i don't drink(alcohol)

do you really thinks - that would help(communicate better w/people) ? Man Happy

last time i was tried that(in youth) - girls was spread out, laughing/giggling and even start calling police.

may i also start smoking too ? Man Happy

any other suggestions ? Man Tongue

Kudos: 104
Solutions: 15

ER-Enthusiast:

• Number of ports: 8
  • Speed: 1G
  • Port detail: 8 RJ45 + 1 SFP
  • Form factor: small (rack mount case for two routers in 1U can be usefull)
  • Power supply: replaceable
  • Is PoE input: no
  • Is PoE output needed: is 802.3af+forcing can be done?
  • Real ports, is switching on cpu will be available?
  • Serial console, 2*USB(for 3G/4G modem,flash drives),
  • RAM: 1 so-dimm, default - 512mb
  • Usecase: enthusiasts(me?) and small branch office
  • Expected price: ≈ERPOE*1.8(with passive poe), ERPOE*2(with autosense and passive poe)

[ Edited ]

IMO you just actuqally describe downsized and crippled ERP router with modular PSU

(how to fit it into "8x ports+1SFP" micro-cases, thats can be able to b packed 2x into 1U 19'' ?)

standard SO-DIMM slot would be cool, but less (mecanically)reliable. ie less shock-proof deployment.

but hardly im understand both why/how use will TWO usb ports may have and kinda frustrating about chances to see so powerful stuff, packed into such compact case. would be hell/lot of design.

presently ERP cost similar for suggested prices. and may(i hope)be even less expensive further in time, so may be it worth just pick some ERP and plug them into good work ? Man Happy

how bout choosing between smart switch or router profile/build in terms of copper connections - its up to you. basically it may be Both variants/models. just not crazy mix of them, like MikroTik-branded routers nor more popular SOHO products.

for wire-speed performance it had to have LOT of horsepower, talking bout 8 ports in ERL-alike(almost)case.

which, however don't justify manageability and security issues, imposed/enforced by using switch chip in used in Real-World, products.

[ Edited ]

Basiley wrote:

IMO you just actuqally describe downsized and crippled ERP router with modular PSU

(how to fit it into "8x ports+1SFP" micro-cases, thats can be able to b packed 2x into 1U 19'' ?)

standard SO-DIMM slot would be cool, but less (mecanically)reliable. ie less shock-proof deployment.

but hardly im understand both why/how use will TWO usb ports may have and kinda frustrating about chances to see so powerful stuff, packed into such compact case. would be hell/lot of design.

presently ERP cost similar for suggested prices. and may(i hope)be even less expensive further in time, so may be it worth just pick some ERP and plug them into good work ? Man Happy

how bout choosing between smart switch or router profile/build in terms of copper connections - its up to you. basically it may be Both variants/models. just not crazy mix of them, like MikroTik-branded routers nor more popular SOHO products.

for wire-speed performance it had to have LOT of horsepower, talking bout 8 ports in ERL-alike(almost)case.

which, however don't justify manageability and security issues, imposed/enforced by using switch chip in used in Real-World, products.

1. Thoughswitch poe carrier - two eight-port+console+usb devices in one 1U, usb and console can be moved to back side of router

2. I didn't ask for switch chip, i'm asking about switching on cpu 

3. "Wire-speed" can differs with use case, in soho and home usage - router doesn't need more than 1.5mpps (i don't know how to load 1mpps)

4. It's enthusiast device which i clarified in top of my post, it must be crazy to become popular and cover as much use cases as it can

Emerging Member
Kudos: 38

[ Edited ]

All these suggested features are great, but you guys have to remember that adding more features for the sake of adding features will also add more to the price.  The higher the price goes, the less likely new people are to grab these over the competitors products.

the ERL succeeded because it did a simple job very well -- forwarded packets with excellent firewall, nat, and vpn capabilities at a beyond believable price point.  That's why all I want is an edgerouter with 2 10gbe ports that does the same thing, forwards packets at an unbelievable price point.  I realize that a pair of those ports is going to add a few hundred dollars to the price, but that doesn't matter in the space I am looking to buy in, the enterprise datacenter.  If I can buy a pair for $1500 that beats the pants off of a layer 3 license on my nexus switches.

[ Edited ]

1. maybe TS PoE - will be demanded product. probably PR should make some surveys among persistent/biggest customers.

2. sure, why not(being able to do that over CPU)? im just mention it because its more "about CPU performance", than EdgeOs limitations. so figure for itself : present ERP - rated for 2MPPS throughput peak, switching to Cavium III from Cavium II chips - advertised as being abble to provide 4x performance boost, by Cavium, compared with. basically realistically/pessimistically calculate you nature of traffic and other demands, impacting on throughput. p.s. not sure how (possible)absence of use acceleration doing this - may affect numbers(hope Cavium can emulate switch chip feats fast enough, too).

3. networks emerge/improve quite fast. personally i may enjoy 1.5Mpps boxes even at home(actually just bough ERL, for such purposes, rated for 1mpps and never regret about, yet. basically sometimes i will tend to resist impulses to hug or kiss the little device, so i Love HOW it works and look, in fear being called "pervert" or "too sentimental" by random drone operator, happens by flyover me this moment or my neighboorhod).

4. well, i can only say for myself, but i was bught my ERL - Exactly BECAUSE its "crazy" device, thats crazy-unpopular and crazy cute. personally i would just ask for 2x extra native(no fk swtich chips !!) copper ports and one 10GBASE-T copper port for uplink, instead of SFP module slot/cradle, but thats my "crazy" vision of device i may need, whose i tend to purchase BEFORE i may need then, instead of "too late"-hysteria/pressure by workload/demands right in middle of working.

p.s.

512Mb for 8-ports, EdgeOS-based device - kinda optimistical/cheap config. even for ERL, some ppl(who's tend to do fancy/complex stuff in ERL)report bit limiting in blogs, infrequently. thats why generally/wide-adopted/cheap SO-DIMM modules can be handy in terms of flexibility. but would it worth minor shock/dust vulnerabily boost ? i wasn't sure.

carrier-grade stuff, however should have/use standart memory sticks, IMO. thing Way more shifty/dynamic right there, than in SOHO/SMB gear.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 38

On point 4 that's fine for you, but it sounds like you are looking for cool features for a one off home network.  I have bought around 50-60 of these for my enterprise.  I want something inexpensive and stable that does the advertised job.  Adding USB ports and removable DIMMs and all kinds of other stuff to it might be useful at one site on one occasion, but for my businesses money, I would rather just skip the USB ports and save $10 each.

but that's just my opinion on the matter.

[ Edited ]

Basiley wrote:

1. maybe TS PoE - will be demanded product. probably PR should make some surveys among persistent/biggest customers.

2. sure, why not(being able to do that over CPU)? im just mention it because its more "about CPU performance", than EdgeOs limitations. so figure for itself : present ERP - rated for 2MPPS throughput peak, switching to Cavium III from Cavium II chips - advertised as being abble to provide 4x performance boost, by Cavium, compared with. basically realistically/pessimistically calculate you nature of traffic and other demands, impacting on throughput. p.s. not sure how (possible)absence of use acceleration doing this - may affect numbers(hope Cavium can emulate switch chip feats fast enough, too).

3. networks emerge/improve quite fast. personally i may enjoy 1.5Mpps boxes even at home(actually just bough ERL, for such purposes, rated for mpps

4. well, i can only say for myself, but i was bught my ERL - Exactly BECAUSE its "crazy" device, thats crazy-unpopular and crazy cute. personally i would just ask for 2x extra native(no fk swtich chips !!) copper ports and one 10GBASE-T copper port for uplink, instead of SFP module slot/cradle, but thats my "crazy" vision of device i may need, whose i tend to purchase BEFORE i may need then, instead of "too late"-hysteria/pressure by workload/demands right in middle of working.

2. Switching - not routing it's differend level of OSI and you can't use pps to calculate perfomance

3. Use cases doesn't change: playing online videogames, watching/downloading videos, using voip - can't create huge number of small packets.

4. ERL is popular)

In fact this debate - is flaming, so if you allow, i'm out)

bbeverag wrote:

On point 4 that's fine for you, but it sounds like you are looking for cool features for a one off home network.  I have bought around 50-60 of these for my enterprise.  I want something inexpensive and stable that does the advertised job.  Adding USB ports and removable DIMMs and all kinds of other stuff to it might be useful at one site on one occasion, but for my businesses money, I would rather just skip the USB ports and save $10 each.

but that's just my opinion on the matter.

If you don't want ERPOE or ERPRO - buy ERL, ubnt doesn't ask "how to make universal router and replace full model list with it" they asks "what to add to our model list"

[ Edited ]

sure. its fine, thats something fine for me - actually fine(right in/time, right in/use and right in budget nor space) at the end of use.

why limiting thats strategy for network gear ? what limit you from eating decent food or pick  cool girls for (obviously-inappropriate, misleading and picked on purpose)example ?

instead of waiting when you may need coroner or lawyer/doctor/pid, respectively.

(but i had to admit that you may be Mandatory need pastor in both "best case" and "worst case" of both scenarios/problems/choices)

so to summarize - you need "army swiss knife of networking for Particular setup, you tend to deploy" ?

well bout SO-DIMM/DIMM modules - ability ot upgrade memory without re-purchasing/re-installing gear - can sometimes save lot of time, money, manpower, reputation and etc. just saying/for example.

ERP was okay, IMO. if you tend slice portions and/or size of product - it may affect end performance of gear. which is major point of my initial comment, btw.

sure, its flaming. its forum, where people tend to communicate with each other, even debate/discuss something, which obviously include some (healthy)portions of flame.

i wasn't contradicting switching vs routing, banana vs apple and L2 and L3 layers of OSI, respectively, just pointed out thats: 1. "routers" had name on-purpose. 2. nothing limit EdgeOS designers to implement (little more than other vendors usually tend to, sadly)L2 stuff, you requested, technically.

3. not yet. both sides of frameworks, up to apps-level, need to be and had to be re-factored. and thats will be soon, sadly/nostalgic. talking about throughput alone - its already happen without much distracting PR/ads.

4. no so popular, sadly. sometimes i tend to advocate my choice of gear to salesperson(!!) in "shutup and take my money"-style from Futurama, includign both edgemax and wifi gear(less frequently).

never said thats my suggestion - ough to/worthy to Replace products from existing list of Ubnt, rather than Extend it, but some cosmetic changes, like improving/increasing CPU heatsink and use bit faster flash memory - was obvious for existed models too and may be welcomed by other consumers of (updated)gear too, i hope.

some may also  found 512Mb RAM kinda limiting/bottlenecking even for 3-ports router, especially so capable/powerful.

p.s. btw idea of "universal router" wasn't bad from both technical and marketing perspective. you probably regret soon to disclose/share that there, before patenting 1st(kidding ;-0).

Established Member
Kudos: 575
Solutions: 18

If you tell us what's going on with the FiberStation, we might be able to make some additional hardware suggestions! :-)

its kinda off-topic in EdgeMax part of forum, but generally folks/customers patiently waiting, something good about FS status, more or less soon.

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3092
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

FS status???

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

FiberStation meant. sorry for introducing bogus/non-obvious "acronym".

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5429
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Yeah as you know we (EdgeMax team) are not working on anything named FiberStation so it might be a topic for the "Upcoming products" forum Icon Smile

Established Member
Kudos: 575
Solutions: 18

Ok, fair enough. But, their might be a case for a low port count ER with a fiber port option for the WAN.