Veteran Member
Kudos: 1394
Solutions: 108

Re: Requests/suggestions for new hardware models

[ Edited ]

Leave at least one PoE port for the radio.

Kudos: 236
Solutions: 2

I think this is a cost is king type argument.  The Edgemax Lite doesn't have POE currently.   In a perfect world you could add 3 ports, 1 of which would be POE for $20, but I think the POE changes cost more like $35-40 and support the entire switch...so its an alll of nothing type approach. 

There's also the case were someone might not use a Ubiquiti AP.  Which might be a bit sacrilegious on the forum here,but I'm certain it occurs.  

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1394
Solutions: 108

[ Edited ]

Managed PoE requires two things:  More PSU and switching electronics.  The switching electronics are (mostly) accrued per port.

I see benefit to a single PoE port for quite a few applications.  Think UniFi (or UniFi Video, nee airVision.)  Maybe on two ports rather than five.  Five ports @0.5A each is an additional 2.5A on the PSU.  I'll restate as "PoE not on every port" is viable, particularly for CPE.  I'll bet there's a sweet spot for PSU sizing.

SuperUser
Kudos: 7879
Solutions: 233

NVX wrote:

Oh man, I just had the best idea. Why not a Ubiquiti console server!

A dozen or two RJ45 serial console connections to connect to all your EdgeRouters and other networking gear's console ports (with back buffers kept for each connection of course) that you can connect to with a console cable and ethernet for glorious truely out-of-band management without having to leave your desk Man Happy.

Would be good to one day have a rack full of nothing but ubnt kit *hint hint* Man Wink

Asked for this ... a bit over a year ago from the mFi team. I don't know if anybody listened...

@UBNT-Ben might Man Happy

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Kudos: 128
Solutions: 7

faster CPU, or potentially multi SKUs with a higher-powered CPU. primarily for OpenVPN performance, but would be helpful all around. or if not a faster one, possibly a crypto accelerator, somewhat like the older ALIX boards had.

Kudos: 9

I'd love to see a similar ERL in the future with better passive cooling system so that it would remain silent but wouldn't get as hot as the current model does.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2495
Solutions: 120

Jackalito wrote:
I'd love to see a similar ERL in the future with better passive cooling system so that it would remain silent but wouldn't get as hot as the current model does.

Have you used t he metal ERLs yet, or just the plastic ones? I've not seen a metal ERL yet, but there has been reports on the forums that they run a lot cooler due to the metal case allowing better thermal conductivity to the surroundings (compared to the plastic case).

@NVX, Yeah, actually mine is the one with metal case, and yet, it's been running quite hot lately due to the temperature here in the Canary Islands.

I'll try to cool it down using a spare fan I've got and see if it feels cool enough.

Thanks for your replay Man Wink
Veteran Member

mhmm. according to the datasheet they are rated for up to 55C though, so it'd have to be **bleep** hot for it to be overly concerning.

You're right, and I'm confident it'll go through summer without major issues as the temperature here in that season is normally 42C tops and that is when we're hit by a heatwave.
But, you know, the cooler it runs, the longer its life will be, and I'm totally in love with my ERL Man Tongue
Kudos: 86
Solutions: 3

My new model, the metal cased one is quite hot 133 F, the spot it is sitting is about 115 F in a room that is 85 F.

Maybe I need to add a fan blowing on the stack of network gear.

The worst thing for me is the fact that the router is in the same room where I sleep, so I'll have to add a fan with a switch so that I can turn it off before going to sleep.

No need for a switch if you just give up on the box fans that are such noisemakers. I have several centrafugal fans that you can hold to your ear and barely hear.

I have the 12 volt version happily running on 6 volts, the 12 volt one might run happily on 12 but I haven't tested it.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1845531_-1

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_297959_-1

I'm looking at my stack of stuff now and thinking I could come up with something to isolate the components from each other and guide a little cooling airflow to the warmer stuff.

I set a fan similar to the 12 volt Jameco one above next to the side of the router, blowing in the tiny holes. I can't hear it running when powered by a  6 VDC wall wart but the top of the router's case temp is down from the original 133 F to 104 F.

I'll have to look at something more permanent than "balanced on a cat5 coupler" as a mounting option since I'm going to keep it there until I figure out cooling/mounting for the entire stack of gear.

I'd think adding one of these fans to the basic ERL or at least providing a mounting spot for one as an option would be a good thing. Noisy fans are no use to me I returned a Dell Power-Connect 2824 smart switch over noisy fans.

Thanks, stan-qaz. I'll look into it and try to adapt, though my router is mounted on the wall, so I'll have to see how to attach the fan to make sure it won't fall off.
Kudos: 5

1. 48 port Carrier Class
Rackmount
48 copper ports
802.3at auto-sensing on all copper ports
2 or 4 SFP ports - 10 Gigabit
All dedicated (real) ports
Dual AC PSU using NEMA C14 socket
Console port

2. 24 port Carrier Class
Rackmount
24 copper ports
802.3at auto-sensing on all copper ports
2 or 4 SFP ports - 10 Gigabit
All dedicated (real) ports
Dual AC PSU using NEMA C14 socket
Console port

Needed Features:

Support for IGMP/Multicast

Deployment scenario:

Alternative for Juniper EX4200 or Cisco 29xx equivalent switches in IDF's with networking equipment that uses 802.3af or 802.3at.

Kudos: 39

Hello.

I would like a future model of the Edgemax Router to give options at first start up...

1. Use GUI and CLI for Router Configuration.

2. Use GUI for System Only Configuration and Router Data Display. CLI only will be used for Configuration.

I would prefer this option instead of having to install another piece of equipment / software that would gather all the relevant syslog data including netflow data, traffic graphs, drill down layer 1 and layer 2 protocols detailed views, etc...

Options such as "block now" -- "whois" --- "trace" --- "blacklist" --- "whitelist" etc, etc, should also be considered.

This way, users can use the GUI purely as information gathering for the router, or perhaps...UBNT could come out with their own information gathering server for Edgemax Routers...

Veteran Member

stargatesys wrote:

Hello.

I would like a future model of the Edgemax Router to give options at first start up...

1. Use GUI and CLI for Router Configuration.

2. Use GUI for System Only Configuration and Router Data Display. CLI only will be used for Configuration.

I would prefer this option instead of having to install another piece of equipment / software that would gather all the relevant syslog data including netflow data, traffic graphs, drill down layer 1 and layer 2 protocols detailed views, etc...

Options such as "block now" -- "whois" --- "trace" --- "blacklist" --- "whitelist" etc, etc, should also be considered.

This way, users can use the GUI purely as information gathering for the router, or perhaps...UBNT could come out with their own information gathering server for Edgemax Routers...

I'm having a hard time grasping what you're trying to suggest here.

In any case, I suspect you're probably better off creating a thread and expressing your ideas there where it can be fleshed out in a bit more detail rather than hijacking this thread which is about hardware models not so much software stuff.

Kudos: 39

Very sorry...I'll do as you ask. Missed the hardware part and it's right there in front of me too. Wow. Just...amazing...

Established Member
Kudos: 128
Solutions: 2

1. a carrier router, with 4 sfp+ and lots (24 looks good) sfp cages, all real ports
  2. copy/paste erl-poe, with eth0 being a combo copper/sfp (perfect for ftth/ftto customers). allows for wan / dmz / customer network