Kudos: 9

Route to interface

Hi, I have 2 dynamic external ip adresses (eth0 and eth1) in the same iprange. How do I route from vlan10 to eth0 and from vlan20 to eth1 ??? Vlans are on eth2.

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5471
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Route to interface

There is not a lot of information, but by "the same iprange" do you mean they are in the same subnet? If so, maybe what you want is to put both addresses on the same interface and have separate source NAT rules for the two VLANs so they will get different source address after NAT?

Yes, on the same subnet. But i only get 2 addresses if they attach to 2 physical interfaces. And also they are dynamic addresses. I was looking at the vyatta docs and saw somethin like this ...

set protocols static interface-route subnet next-hop-interface ethx

havent tried it yet though...

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5471
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

I suppose it might be possible to make it work using policy-based routing, but having two IPs in the same subnet on two different interfaces just seems a little weird. Since they both go to the same ISP, what does it provide besides having different source addresses after NAT for the outgoing flows?

I know its maybe over doing it. But one source is our office lan with vpn and the other is a ftp server. So we wanted it to be totally seperate even on public ip. Im not going to break my back trying to set it up like that it works fine with one public ip. 

Thanks for a great product! The more I play with it the more I like it!!!

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3137
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

@mols wrote:

Yes, on the same subnet. But i only get 2 addresses if they attach to 2 physical interfaces. And also they are dynamic addresses. I was looking at the vyatta docs and saw somethin like this ...

set protocols static interface-route subnet next-hop-interface ethx

havent tried it yet though...

Interface routes work well for point-to-point tunnels, but otherwise it will try to arp on that inteface for the destination and that will only work with hosts in the connected subnet.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development