Kudos: 21
Accepted Solution

Routing between 2 Edgerouter 12's

I ended up with 2 ER-12's (don't do this for a living) so I thought i would use them at home.  I use the first one to connect to my ISP with firewalls, nat, dhcp, etc.  I thought i would configure the 2nd one as a layer 2 switch.  I want to route a couple of vlans with the 2nd one.  The problem I have is i can't get the 2nd one to route through the 1st one to the internet.  Since I don't really know what i'm doing, could someone suggest a config or point me to a tutorial or some such?

I just want to create vlan 10 and vlan 20, use the switch interfaces, and route back through the first ER to the internet.  Also need to get an IP and DNS from the 1st router.  I first tried creating a bond interface on both and connect them using LACP on the SFP ports.  I put an address on both ends and put a static route on both devices - could not pass traffic between them

Then I decided to put a couple of vlans on the switch of ER-1 and make it vlan aware and connect one of the ports to the ER-2 and try to pass the vlans that way.  I guess i didn't get the settings correct because it wouldn't pass traffic - so i'm stuck.  Any help is appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 373
Solutions: 105

Re: Routing between 2 Edgerouter 12's

@Shcaerp wrote:

Thanks @jms33 for your response.  What i was referring to was the option that exists to add the SFP port on an ERX to the switch chip.  I was thinking it could be done in the firmware on an ER12 as well.

I will attempt to bridge the SFP ports and see what happens.

I understand, on the ER-X the SFP port is physically part of the switch.  On the ER-12, it is not, so it's not a firmware or software limitation, it's a physical hardware limitation.  It's just not a switch port like it is on the ER-X.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 93
Solutions: 7

[ Edited ]

The hardware switch on the ER12 only functions / is in place for ETH0-7.  The remaining ports including the two SPF ports Eth10-11 can't be added to it.  I don't see why they  couldn't be bridged into the hardware switch but I wouldn't do this ... there will be a big performance impact as this will be done in software by the CPU.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205223350-EdgeRouter-Creating-a-Bridged-Interface

I've done this for OpenVPN host to router VPNs so that remote laptops (or other hosts) end up on the same subnet as the local LAN.  No big performance hit as the Internet is the bottleneck ... but bridging a LAN?  That's another story.

[ Edited ]

@Rotary_Convert  I agree that bridging is not a good idea.  However, at the very least, a cheap ERX can add an SFP port to the switch so the much more expensive ER-12 should also have that feature.  

@UBNT-afomins Can the SFP ports on the ER-12 be added to the switch interface? 

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-afomins Please add the SFP ports on the ER-12 to the switch interface like the ERX? Until then is there another way to add the SFP ports to the switch0 in the meanwhile?  Does anyone else know?  Can/should they be bridged?  I just need one of the SFP ports to route to the switch0 in the same subnet.

Established Member

@Shcaerp wrote:

@UBNT-afomins Please add the SFP ports on the ER-12 to the switch interface like the ERX? Until then is there another way to add the SFP ports to the switch0 in the meanwhile?  Does anyone else know?  Can/should they be bridged?  I just need one of the SFP ports to route to the switch0 in the same subnet.

The switch is a physical interface, so no software upgrade will allow the SFP ports to be members of switch0. You can bridge them, just be aware of the performance hit. 

[ Edited ]

Thanks @jms33 for your response.  What i was referring to was the option that exists to add the SFP port on an ERX SFP to the switch chip.  I was thinking it could be done in the firmware on an ER12 as well.

Established Member

@Shcaerp wrote:

Thanks @jms33 for your response.  What i was referring to was the option that exists to add the SFP port on an ERX to the switch chip.  I was thinking it could be done in the firmware on an ER12 as well.

I understand, on the ER-X the SFP port is physically part of the switch.  On the ER-12, it is not, so it's not a firmware or software limitation, it's a physical hardware limitation.  It's just not a switch port like it is on the ER-X.

@jms33 Gotcha!! - That's the part i didn't know - Thanks.