Highlighted
Kudos: 64
Solutions: 10
Accepted Solution

Shaper QoS vs fq_codel

I use an ERL for my home routing and an ER8 at work.  The work router has the fq_codel wizard

I was running a shaper traffic policy (making use of the "priority" option for each class), that worked fairly well for my home uses involving gaming, video streaming, and home media serving streaming (e.g. Plex Server), but had some hiccups here and there.  I have been recently been relying on codel at home and it seems to be doing well with occassional lag spikes in some games.  I just feel weird not having to tweak anything whereas before I had a finely detailed policy.

Don't get me wrong, I like the simplicity if it works, but my question is this:  are there best practices for using each of these, and what scenarios should each be used?  Can/should they ever be used simultaneously?

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Re: Shaper QoS vs fq_codel

fq_codel only works when the router running it is the bottleneck. When you have it on your Internet router, you should not need to run any QoS or shaper on the outbound traffic (at least, not to avoid bufferbloat and the resulting high latency, if you have more traffic than your outbound pipe can handle on a sustained basis, you may still want to tweak priorities). However, unless the other end of the connection is also running fq_codel, you may want to run an inbound shaper/QoS configuration to try and keep the inbound traffic throttled to the point that it doesn't saturate the ISPs router. If you have a fast enough inbound connection, you may be able to get away without any shaping

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Re: Shaper QoS vs fq_codel

fq_codel only works when the router running it is the bottleneck. When you have it on your Internet router, you should not need to run any QoS or shaper on the outbound traffic (at least, not to avoid bufferbloat and the resulting high latency, if you have more traffic than your outbound pipe can handle on a sustained basis, you may still want to tweak priorities). However, unless the other end of the connection is also running fq_codel, you may want to run an inbound shaper/QoS configuration to try and keep the inbound traffic throttled to the point that it doesn't saturate the ISPs router. If you have a fast enough inbound connection, you may be able to get away without any shaping