Kudos: 11
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

[Solved] Network scan resets AP connected to ErX

[ Edited ]

[Update][Solved]

TL;DR: Included ERX 6W power adapter is meant to power unit only. To power AP as well use POE injector or upgrade to 12W+ adapter

This is my setup: I have an AP-AC-Lite connected to USG3 through an EdgeRouter X (configured as 5-port switch with POE on Eth4). I added a few wireless devices to 192.168.1.x network (printer, tv, kindle) and tried running a network scan with zANTI to get some info. As soon as the scan starts my wireless AP shuts down (lights off) and restarts itself! I had no idea that was possible. To troubleshoot, I disconnected the ErX and connected AP directly to USG3; AP stays up during scan and everything is copacetic.

Things:

- ErX (1.8.0) is non-SFP version and the AP-AC-Lite (3.4.17.3440) is powered from POE (Eth4)

- ErX was soft-reset as well as hard-reset and re-configured again as switch, scan still resets

- zANTI has intrusive/non-intrusive options. This is using the non-intrusive option

Can anybody tell me... is this a feature, bug, or something else? Confused5

Edit: With default settings the router will also intermittenly disconnect all wireless clients while streaming video of any kind from my wired server. The AP itself does not go down when this happens (light stays on). This is with all out-of-box settings, nothing changed except enabling POE on Eth4.

ErX.png

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3141
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Re: Network mapping with zANTI resets AP connected to ErX

The power-supply that is include with the ER-X is not enough to power another device via eth4 pass-thru.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 1

Hey it's me from Reddit! I'll post updates here for you. I'm wondering the the ERL was the better idea to go with... I'm going to run that scan tonight for you, then see if this happens. But if I could ask, why are you running a USG before the ERX?

Hey good to see you! Definitely interested in your results. Although these look like two different issues my guess is they are both related to the ERX POE port. Seeing that I've swapped out and troubleshooted every other component in my network, it's gotta be.

The USG3 has been an amazing router/vpn/firewall so far and integration with AP/controller was important to me. The ERX is versatile piece of kit and can stand in for USG if needed. When I needed a gigabit switch the cost difference between it and an unmanaged switch made buying the ERX a no brainer. Plus...when you run into these situations you still have a network :-P

The other night when the clients dropped, I noticed a blip in the logs for the ERX that said ETH4 went down. This led me to beleive it was the ERX port and maybe something is going on. So what you are telling me is you are using the ERX as a switch essentially?

[ Edited ]

Yep, all 5 ports on switch0 with POE on Eth4. No other settings changed. I updated firmware to 1.8.5 at some point but reverted to 1.8.0 thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't. It's worth noting that ERX seemed to be stable for a few days prior to this. Was that your experience as well?

Also, which log gave you info on the Eth4 issue?

Hmm, so you assign all 5 ports to a virtual switch 0? (sorry i'm new to the line). This would be software switching I presume? Which is usually not a good idea depending on the traffic and could cause the CPU to spike right? doesn't a true hardware switch handle this better?

Yes, the ERX did in fact perform well for a couple days then pooped the bed... So I migrated my controller to an AWS and started the troubleshooting process. I migrated it mainly due to the fact the controller was on WiFi and when the WiFi went down... it caused even more issues like the controller needing to re-adopt the AP.

The log on the ERX will give you that info. I don't have it with me and I think I got luck because I don't know how to look at the log file (if it exists) on the ERX yet. (like I said, I only had a moment to look at it). But the log on the ERX will show you somehere around the last 10 logs. That's where I saw the interface shut down and come back up. I will setup a syslog server if it does not store and review the outage windows at that time.

Hope that helps for now, until I show you the message or you find it first!

The ERX does line-rate switching on all ports :-) http://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/The-new-EdgeRouter-X-and-EdgeRouter-X-SFP/td-p/1222426/page/5

If you're running just the AP and no gateway the controller really only needs to be running to make changes I would think. If you haven't already, uncheck the Wireless Uplink Monitor box in settings. I might do more diagnostics in a bit.

[ Edited ]
Apr 26 19:51:18ubnt dhcpd: uid lease 10.0.0.19 for client 3c:15:c2:e2:8d:48 is duplicate on WiFi
Apr 26 19:51:13ubnt dhcpd: uid lease 10.0.0.16 for client 80:2a:a8:10:15:44 is duplicate on WiFi
Apr 26 19:51:13ubnt dhcpd: uid lease 10.0.0.16 for client 80:2a:a8:10:15:44 is duplicate on WiFi
Apr 26 19:50:42ubnt kernel: ESW: Link Status Changed - Port4 Link UP
Apr 26 19:50:42ubnt zebra[349]: interface eth4 index 7 changed <UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>.
Apr 26 19:50:39ubnt kernel: ESW: Link Status Changed - Port4 Link Down
Apr 26 19:50:39ubnt zebra[349]: interface eth4 index 7 changed <UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>.
Apr 26 19:48:40ubnt dhcpd: uid lease 10.0.0.19 for client 3c:15:c2:e2:8d:48 is duplicate on WiFi
Apr 26 19:37:21ubnt dhcpd: uid lease 10.0.0.16 for client 80:2a:a8:10:15:44 is duplicate on WiFi
Apr 26 19:37:21ubnt dhcpd: uid lease 10.0.0.16 for client 80:2a:a8:10:15:44 is duplicate on WiFi

I don't know how to access the rest of the logs. Any idea?

[ Edited ]

Okay some real progress! Did you have a chance to run the network scan? Up until now I have been powering the ERX from included DC adapter only. Made sense to me. This round of tests I powered it from the AP's POE injector connected to Eth0. Result? No reset on port scan. Wooo! One problem down :-D

The other result? Bad news. Still had a network drop while streaming video from Plex. Just to reiterate: no issues at all occur with just USG3 + AP-AC-Lite, everything is smooth as silk. This issue only happens with the ERX connected.

Are you powering your ERX from DC or POE-IN?

Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3141
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

The power-supply that is include with the ER-X is not enough to power another device via eth4 pass-thru.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

Aaaand that's a wrap folks. The documentation says 24V passive POE or 12W adapter required. Thank you @UBNT-stig. The included adapter is 12V*0.5A, an anemic 6W. Enough to run the ERX but nothing else. I happened to have a single adapter with the right size barrel, 12V@2.5A. Holy schnikes. Tested and everything works as it should. When in doubt, RTFM again. And then maybe a third time.

Marked as solved ~

Hahaha I couldn't help but laugh when i read this past night before bed. I checking in the documentation and did indeed check the power output and read the same line you did. So now onto another question, it is safe to put more power through this thing to get the proper POE requirements?

Re: [Solved] Network mapping with zANTI resets AP connected to ErX

Lol, well in all fairness a reasonable assumption for most electronics is that the included power supply is enough to support all capabilities. It's not something you'd think about in other words. It would be like your XBOX One only being able to play 2D games until you buy a beefier power supply. Since the ER-X can be powered via POE and most APs included a POE injector, it's no big deal :-)

A device will only pull the current it needs, so a larger supply wouldn't hurt anything. The ER-X-SFP includes a 24V*2.5A adapter (60W), but it's only rated for 50W max.

According to the ERX data sheet input range is 9-26V, so you have some latitude with adapters. The easiest solution? Power with POE :-D
SuperUser
Kudos: 11372
Solutions: 697
Contributions: 1

This actually has to do with the design intent of the ER-X - note the term "passthrough" in both the GUI for turning PoE on port4, and in the documentation.   It was designed to run off passive 24V PoE in on port 1 and pass through that power to port 4.   The included power supply was used to power the unit only, since many people won't be using the PoE capability at all - it's just the one port after all - and that keeps the price down.   But you can indeed put a different 24V DC power supply there to feed it and it will work just fine.   We use literally hundreds of these in our wireless sites to power radios and do complex routing, and have a local 300-600 watt dc 24v plant that feeds them directly.   They never miss a beat.

I do have a fairly large box of unused 12V power supplies I'll need to get rid of eventually...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

Sounds good, I was concerned for the stability of the device after this! I am trying to keep the size of the whole setup down so I want to avoid using the POE injector. Do you know which adapter I can buy to make everything work properly?

[ Edited ]

Any adapter with a 5.5 x 2.1mm barrel, also known as just 2.1mm. Pretty sure most 12-24V adapters are the right size but double check before buying.

Here's a 12V 1A adapter for $3.90 shipped (from US) and a 12V 2A for $6.69 w/Prime (also from US). There are a bunch on eBay as well with free shipping but no product reviews, so caveat emptor ya know!

Kudos: 5

I have a question though.

I had an ER-X and AC-Lite couple of years back. I was using the ER-X in router mode with eth0 connected to my modem and POE out eth4 connected to the Lite. I used a 12V 1.5A as the power input and didn't realise that the rated output was 11v, 5w on the POE if a 12v adapter was used. The setup worked fine for a while like this. The AP didn't have proper ventilation and was flushed on the ceiling. In a country like India, the temperatures are well above 35C in summer and even during any other season, the AP would get heated. About six months later, I had regularly dropped connections to my MacBook Pro while waking from sleep, which could be a MBP issue cause Apple forums are full of this. Eventually I removed the AP and saw that the Ethernet connector had some black burnt marks. I gave away the AP to someone and although the router worked I gave that away too.

My question is, was it the incorrect voltage (11v,5w apparently according to UBNT) that caused the AP to die or was it just the ventilation that was the issue?

Now I have bought an AC-LR and ER-X. Currently I am powering the LR with the included power adapter. Also I have mounted it on the same spot, but instead of just fixing it on the ceiling, in order to ventilate properly, I have put the mounting plate that came with it for drop ceinings , in between the plastic mount and the ceiling. This way it leaves a gap about 2-3mm between the ceiling and AP and there is enough air hopefully to keep it cool. Also the metal plate could act as a heat sink as well as a reflector for signals, like those aliminium foil and router videos on youtube. Nonetheless if this setup has issues, I will but a small wooden piece in the middle instead of the plate.

But now I really liked the setup previously where the number of cables were just 2, one for AP and one to modem. Also I only needed 2 adapters , one going into ER-X and one into the modem. Is the 12v adapter really safe to power the AP or should I just get a 24v 1A or so adapter? The reason I want to use the 12V adapter is because that one is really good quality and all the 24v adapters you get here are cheap quality and might damage the ER-X this time.