Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Specifying MAC address(es) for (multiple) pppoe connections

Hi EdgeOS Pros,

I'm looking into EdgeRouter Pro as a replacement for a huge number of routers with a custom linux based RouterOS.

One of the crucial features we need is, multiple pppoe connections on the same physical modem link/interface to separate traffic on an interface and/or IP basis.

On the current routers, we are using a patched version of pppoed, that enables us to use the -H option to specify the MAC address which will be used in the pppoe discovery:

-H MAC Causes pppoe to use the indicated Ethernet MAC  address  as  the
              source  address  for  sending packets.  MAC must be specified in
              the AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF syntax.   If  this  option  is  specified,
              pppoe puts the interface into promiscuous mode.

I haven't found any hints for this on the wiki page or the CLI online help. 

http://wiki.ubnt.com/PPPoE_Client_-_CLI_Commands

So, to you guys:

Is there any way I can achieve a similar setup? This implementation is rather important for us and not being able to do this would be a show-stopper.

Any hints will be greatly appreciated ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Irrwitzer

Accepted Solutions
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5465
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: Specifying MAC address(es) for (multiple) pppoe connections

The "pppoe" binary in our system also has the "-H" option. However, the current PPPoE client implementation uses the "PPPoE plugin" for pppd instead so that is not applicable within the configuration. So for now one possibility is to use the pppoe binary on the system directly to set up the connection (not configuring it in the system config), which would require some scripting of course (perhaps putting scripts in "/config/scripts/post-config.d" to do it on boot). Another possibility might be to create "pseudo-ethernet" interfaces (which can have different MACs) on top of physical interface (e.g., "set interfaces pseudo-ethernet peth0 link eth1") and then configure PPPoE under those. Unfortunately it looks like the PPPoE config under pethX was broken by some recent change so this will require some change to the config script for now (we'll get this fixed of course).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5465
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

The "pppoe" binary in our system also has the "-H" option. However, the current PPPoE client implementation uses the "PPPoE plugin" for pppd instead so that is not applicable within the configuration. So for now one possibility is to use the pppoe binary on the system directly to set up the connection (not configuring it in the system config), which would require some scripting of course (perhaps putting scripts in "/config/scripts/post-config.d" to do it on boot). Another possibility might be to create "pseudo-ethernet" interfaces (which can have different MACs) on top of physical interface (e.g., "set interfaces pseudo-ethernet peth0 link eth1") and then configure PPPoE under those. Unfortunately it looks like the PPPoE config under pethX was broken by some recent change so this will require some change to the config script for now (we'll get this fixed of course).

Thank you ancheng for your detailed response!

I'll have a look at the manual solution and am looking forward to the pseudo-ethernet bugfix Man Wink

Thanks again!

Hi, 

Im a newbie with EdgeRouter hardware and now I have a stupid problem. 

My ISP need a MAC to register over pppoe. 

But I not found nothing about mac Address change for pppoe on an actual version edgerouter (6P).

I can register a new mac by my ISP but if the interface is down than I see nothing. 

Some help will be really useful. 

Thnank you,

Tamás