Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Highlighted
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

TBD on eth0

Hello forum,

I've been trying for blind (semi-blind because I have not received a console cable yet) to configure an ERLite3 router. My problem contines to be not being able to pass data from the Internet. I've used a ERL3 for a couple years and have a copy of its config files. That router went down last night so restored that config to a backup router and it also won't pass data. 

The eth0 row on the Dashboard view shows TBD as it's IP. I'm on a private network so have registered this router with DHCP on its MAC so I expect it to obtain an IP in the range 128.193.xxx.xxx. This does not appear to be happening with the router, although it does with my laptop when connected to the same port. 

What am I doing wrong? I've tried configuring using the Basic Config and 2Lan wizards with the same lack of success. 

Thanks for any insight on this issue,

AK

Established Member
Kudos: 391
Solutions: 110

Re: TBD on eth0

Hi @adamk2, it's best to post your configuration for the most relevant and helpful advice.  Without seeing your config I can only guess at what might be wrong - have you sniffed the wire(s) to see if the DHCP request is being sent from the Edgerouter, and if there's a response from your DHCP server?  On your DHCP server does it show that lease as active/obtained?

You don't necessarily need a console cable for any of this - if you are able to access the GUI of the router, you can SSH into it and that'll work much better and faster than a console connection.  The console connection is great for "out of band" access - if you cannot connect to it at all over a network connection.

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

Re: TBD on eth0

[ Edited ]

edit: deleted config file 

WAIT: I just set the eth0 to its static IP 128.193.111.xxx/24, closed safari and connected to the device via Chrome and everything is working perfectly. So strange.

I'm not really sure what the issue is, but at least the eth0 issue is resolved!