Established Member
Kudos: 632
Solutions: 19

Re: The new EdgeRouter X and EdgeRouter X SFP

@UBNT-ancheng wrote:

hyphenatic: Yes, on ER-X and ER-X-SFP, all ports are actually on a hardware switch.

OH, clarification please.  All ports are on a hardware switch like the last three ports of the EdgeMax PoE?

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

bcdouglas: Yes all ports are on a hardware switch like the last three ports of the EdgeMax PoE.

Kudos: 2

What will the flash storage/filesystem situation look like on these devices?

While I have been thrilled with the performance and features of the EdgeRouter Lite for home and office applications where they are expected to stay on 24x7 (and have a UPS), the tendency of the filesystem to "brick" when the power fails (or is yanked) has me worried about deploying them anywhere else - particularly where a customer might get hands on it.  The ER8s I have do not seem to have this flash/filesystem corruption issue.

Ultimately I need to locate something that can be installed as a CPE device in an environment where the power can, and will, be cycled on a fairly regular basis.  I'm hoping the ER X might be that device...

Can this thread be stickied? There is some good info that will become even more useful as these products get into production.

Kudos: 292
Solutions: 2

So, is the ER-X any better or worse than the ERLITE-3? Do I have any reason to prefer one over the other, except for price?
Other stuff I've written:

Prepaid Wireless FAQ: goo.gl/CkZcf
Straight Talk Wireless FAQ!: goo.gl/Sn0Pk

How to choose the best Wifi channel: goo.gl/0s3Rj

Installing FreePBX and Asterisk: goo.gl/tDs5U
Configuring FreePBX: goo.gl/omJnf
SuperUser
Kudos: 5142
Solutions: 1458

[ Edited ]

ER-X is worse in several areas ((IIRC, RAM / CPU and PPS are the big ones).

Ed -- Honestly, to me it looks like a decent "CPE Router" for the WISP crowd.

Established Member
Kudos: 433
Solutions: 60

@Advocate99 wrote:
So, is the ER-X any better or worse than the ERLITE-3? Do I have any reason to prefer one over the other, except for price?

Extra wired ports, PoE passthrough to power a 24v CPE, UAP, or UVC Camera. In short, if you receive your WAN link via a 24v radio like an AirGrid or Nanostation, this can be powered directly from the PoE passthrough port. The router then has wired ports available for your internal network.

Kudos: 57
Solutions: 6

Is there any information on expected availability in Europe (Germany)?

The ER-X appears to be about half the cost, but has more ports.  UBNT says that it will do gigabit routing, just like the ERLITE-3.

Since UBNT is going to continue to offer the ERLITE-3 even though it costs more and has fewer ports, there must be some reason to prefer it.  Can anyone tell me what that reason is?

I understand there's going to be differences in memory and processor, but if they both can route at gigabit capacity, why does that matter?  Is there really any reason to choose the ERLITE-3?  If so, why?

[ Edited ]

EdgeOS can do so much more than just plain old routing. More complex firewalling setups, more extensive usage of certain services like ppoe server, vpn, routing protocols with larger tables, etc. will cripple the max throughput of the ERX models more easily than on the ERL.

Established Member
Kudos: 632
Solutions: 19

The ERL has three routed ports. The X has all switched ports. The ERL will kick the X's butt based upon hw implementation.

They can't all be switched ports.  If the ER-X has no routed ports, then the ER-X is not a router..

Kudos: 265
Solutions: 15

[ Edited ]

Product page says: "The EdgeRouterX provides five independent, Gigabit RJ45 ports that are configurable for switching."

The way I understand is that the ports can be configured either routed ports or switched ports. Essentially a Layer-3 switch. This is great.

Now, UBNT, please keep the same form factor and develop a 9-10 port router/switch, where all ports can be independently configured either routed ports or switch ports (whether using vlans, bridged, or master/slave). Until then I'll just have to keep buying the MT RB493Gs.

[ Edited ]

The only answer that I've read that makes any sense is the point that the slower processer in the ER-X might choke if you implement complicated configurations. I can see how that might be the case, especially if you use OpenVPN, which already chokes the ERLITE-3 to about 7Mbps.

Can anyone else think of a reason to stick with the ERLITE-3 instead of the ER-X??

SuperUser
Kudos: 7932
Solutions: 233

@Advocate99 wrote:

The only answer that I've read that makes any sense is the point that the slower processer in the ER-X might choke if you implement complicated configurations. I can see how that might be the case, especially if you use OpenVPN, which already chokes the ERLITE-3 to about 7Mbps.

Can anyone else think of a reason to stick with the ERLITE-3 instead of the ER-X??

@Advocate99 IPSEC runs MUCH faster on erlite hardware compared to OpenVPN

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog

[ Edited ]

I know.  I need to switch.

They've got it in the UI now, so there's really no excuse..

@Advocate99 wrote:

They can't all be switched ports.  If the ER-X has no routed ports, then the ER-X is not a router..

You may switch all ports and you may use the device solely for routing. It's up to you. With all ports switched you could use it e.g. as a (remotely) managed media converter in case of the ER-X-SFP, making it a CPE without forcing the customer to use he device as router (in case they already use a router, firewall, whatever, ..).

Established Member
Kudos: 225
Solutions: 12

[ Edited ]

All ports can go on the switch and at the same time you can create a group of ports for the switch and the others routed.  You should have no issues creating 2 WAN ports and the others are routed and switched.  Switching between ports is typically line speed while routing from the wan to lan will eat CPU.  If you use the LAN ports as independant LAN, then any traffic between them will most likely be routed and therefore on the CPU.  Not sure how the switch would handle VLANs and if it would switch them at line speed.  That question is for the UBNT guys.

Kudos: 78
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

Asked the question earlier but no response, what about IGMP snooping on the switch?

Previous Employee
Kudos: 5474
Solutions: 1656

bjck: Similar to the switch in the ER PoE, currently we have not exposed the switch's layer-2 features such as IGMP snooping.