Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Trouble with EdgeRouterX and ADSL modem in bridge mode

Hi all, 

As a volunteer (I am a SW developer with some basic networking skills) I am uprgrading our local Railways Museum LAN. The plan is to secure the network by dividing it into separate VLANS for: 

- administrative offices (both wired and wi-fi)

- visitors (library, multimedia, and a game - wired only)

- Wi-FI guest 

and protecting it with a real firewall, rather than relying the built in firewall of our ADSL modem/router. 

I will carry on this project a step at a time; to start with, I am installing an EdgeRouter X, to act as a router and firewall; I am putting it behind the ADSL modem, that is a Sitecom WLM-6501 (https://www.sitecom.com/en/wireless-gigabit-modem-router-n750-x6/wlm-6501/p/337) 

Following the beginners guide reccomendations (https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter) I tried to configure the ADSL Modem in bridge mode, an then I ran the "basic setup" wizard, setting the ER-X connection type to PPoE. 

Unfortunately the internet connection did not bring up, and the dashboard did not show any traffic through the WAN port (eth0). I triple-checked our ISP credentials, of course. 

To restore internet connectivity, I had to revert the modem back to "normal" mode (rather than bridge) and set the ER-X connection type to DHCP.

At least, now I have the firewall in place, but I would like to use the bridge mode (I guess it will ease VPN connectivity too, right?) . Can you tell wich mistakes I made? 

If you need more info, just ask; for configurations and/or screenshot I will have to wait until the next saturday, when the museum will be open again. 

Thansk in advance, 

Gianfranco

Accepted Solutions

Re: Trouble with EdgeRouterX and ADSL modem in bridge mode

Hi, 

I just tried again, and everything is working properly. When setting up the direct bridge connection to my PC I discovered that my ISP changed the credentials to use to  log in. 

In normal DHCP mode, the old credentials still work just fine; in bridge mode, I have to use the new ones. 

Thank you for your support. 

Greetings, 

Gianfranco

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 2077
Solutions: 1034

Hi Gianfranco, why not check before if the modem/router, in modem/bridge only, works ok, creating a pppoe connection on a pc ?

Cheers,

jonatha

Hi jonatha,

thanks for your reply! You're right, I didn't think of that because the router is closed in a rack, somewhat uncomfortable to reach.
I'll need to get a long LAN cable to make such a test, but I'll try next week, and let you know.

but... what if the modem alone works?
SuperUser
Kudos: 2077
Solutions: 1034

Sorry, what do you mean "what if the modem alone works? "  With you pc behind as pppoe client ?

Rather than connect the ethernet cable on the edgerouter's eth0, cannot you connect your laptop ? (if the pppoe connection from your pc will work, there is no reason that won't work from the edgerouter too).

Cheers,

jonatha

[ Edited ]

Hi Jonata, 

sorry for my prolongated silence, but last saturday  I wasn't able to perform the test. Our main miniature railway layout suddenly decided to die, and I had to revive it... It took the entire day Man Sad   I will make the test next saturday. At least, I hope... 

@redfive wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean "what if the modem alone works? "  With you pc behind as pppoe client ?

Yes, I meant precisely that. 

Well, next saturday I will report the test results and we'll see... 

Greetings, 

Gianfranco  

Hi, 

I just tried again, and everything is working properly. When setting up the direct bridge connection to my PC I discovered that my ISP changed the credentials to use to  log in. 

In normal DHCP mode, the old credentials still work just fine; in bridge mode, I have to use the new ones. 

Thank you for your support. 

Greetings, 

Gianfranco