Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Troubleshoot Defective EdgeRouter X

I purchased an EdgeRouter X six months ago. I am new to Ubiquiti level of products as I have only used consumer grade in the past. No problems setting it up after watching a few YouTube videos. 

All was working fine until all internet traffic stopped today. I think the EdgeRouter X is defective but can someone review what I have done so far and recommend anything further before I try to return it under warranty?

So far:

1. I have contacted cable company and reset Motorola modem to factory deafults. A single laptop connects fine to the modem and is able to access internet. 

2. I unplugged EdgeRouter and modem several times and waited up to 30 minutes. Still no access to internet. 

3. I reset the EdgeRouter using the reset button, changed my laptop IP to 192.168.1.11, plugged laptop into the eth0 port and was able to connect to roouter. I was prompted for the basic setup wizzard which I ran with the firewall option checked. I applied changes and the router rebooted. 

4. I plugged my computer into eth1 port, modem into eth0, changed laptop IP to obtain IP address automatically and restarted computer. Still no connection to internet. 

5. I ran windows connection diagnostic and the results were "Ehternet does not have a valid IP configuration".  I tried to connect to 192.168.1.1 with laptop using dynamic IP and static of 192.168.11. 

6. I restarted everything several times by unplugging. I waited 30 minutes for anything to become stable. Still no internet connection using laptop and dynamic IP plugged directly into eth1 port. 

Plugging the laptop directly into cable mdem still works fine. 

What else can I try before sending it back as defective? 

Thank you for helping...

Accepted Solutions

Re: Troubleshoot Defective EdgeRouter X

I think it was the DHCP renew and the order everything was restarted that solved my last issue after I restored the backup. I unplugged everything except the PRO hotspot then when that was working I added one switch then one device at a time verifying it was still working in-between adding each. I still have a few things unplugged but it seems stable at this point. Hope this helps.

A big tanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 917
Solutions: 207

@Planetview Welcome to the community. If the router resets to factory defaults okay, the chances are smaller that this is a hardware issue.

After running the basic setup wizard, what does the hardwired interface on your PC get as an address with DHCP turned on?

For testing, was the interface set statically to 192.168.1.11 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0? Just to be sure, this is the same range that was set when using the wizard?

For testing I tried both static 192.168.1.11 and dynamic connection in IPv4 on my PC.  I currently have DHCP enabled on my PC connection and it was assigned IP address of 192.168.1.38 by EdgeRouter (see attached screen shot of network connection). Still no internet and going to EdgeRouter at 192.168.1.1 will not load (error says connection took too long and times out each try). 

I restarted PC (restart power option) and EdgeRouter (unplugged) but still no internet until I plug PC directly into modem. 

Hope this info is what you are looking for, if not please explain a bit more since I am a newbie to this level of product. 

062818DynamicConnection.png

This is the error I get when I run the network diagnostic tool. 

062818Trouble.png
Kudos: 627
Solutions: 218

delete the local cache or try a different browser. Make sure your not getting a cached response. Can you download putty and try to ssh into the router. also do a ping test to 192.168.1.1 then to 8.8.8.8
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 917
Solutions: 207

The 192.168.1.38 address means that you are getting a DHCP address from the EdgeRouter successfully.

1. Try to ping the EdgeRouter. Start > type "cmd", press enter. Then use "ping 192.168.1.1".  you should see no packet loss. If using "ping 8.8.8.8" is also successful we can narrow this down to a DNS issue.

2. In a browser try to enter https://192.168.1.1 to access the router.

3.  Make sure if you have a wireless interface on your PC it is disabled so it doesn't conflict.

Both pings had no packet loss but showed another error attached. I don't know if this is normal. I was able to connect to the EdgeMax router interface and login this time though. Nothing has been changed since my reset and running the wizzard. 

PingResults.png
Kudos: 71
Solutions: 17

Think you got a typo in the router address. It should be 192.168.1.1, you pinged 192.169.1.1

Ok, turn the router off then hit the red reset button on the modem. they tend to try to stick to one physical device (MAC). after the modem reboot turn router back on.

In addition to the above ping test I will mention that I do have a config file backup that I did after my last firmware upgrade on 6/8/2018 and all was working fine until this morning when internet traffic suddently stopped (I was streaming CNN audio).

I was planning to restore backup config after reset. I am not sure if I need to update my firmware to the same version first, I did two updates since installing router. 

OOPS on the ping typo. Here is the new result. 

PingResults2.png

@smyers119 wrote:
Ok, turn the router off then hit the red reset button on the modem. they tend to try to stick to one physical device (MAC). after the modem reboot turn router back on.

My modem SB6141 does not appear to have a physical reset button. I reset it to default in software after cable company did a reset from their end though. Any other way to reset or should I do another reset through software?

I guess do a reset through software.... Just don't plug computer in after the reset.

I did another factory reset of modem with just the router plugged into it (no devices connected to router). I will plug in one PC to router after waiting 30 minutes which is how long it can take to reauth modem. 

Ok, progress. I have router and one laptop connected to internet and both aseem to be working fine. 

My next step was to upgrade firmware to version that I had in my last router config backup, then restore the backup and finally connect my nework switches and PRO hotspot. 

Is there anything I am missing or a better way before proceeding?

Back to having the same problem again.  I restarted everything in this order: modem - router - PC but only the one PC will connect. When I add anything else the internet connection stops working. 

What is the next step?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1587
Solutions: 681

As you can ping ER, try opening GUI, and see if ER gets WAN IP address, should be on dashboard.

Try DHCP renew on ER

Highlighted

Any luck on this? I am having almost identical problem. EdgeRouter X gives my Mac .38 via DHCP but won’t let me ping it or browse to 192.168.1.1

upgraded to latest firmware 1.10

done factory rest dozens of times and the same problem occurs

There seems to be some sort of routing conflict when e0 is plugged into my LAN. As soon as I unplug e0 from my LAN, I can browse into the Edgerouter at 192.168.1.1. When I plug e0 back into my LAN, the network goes down.

I think it was the DHCP renew and the order everything was restarted that solved my last issue after I restored the backup. I unplugged everything except the PRO hotspot then when that was working I added one switch then one device at a time verifying it was still working in-between adding each. I still have a few things unplugged but it seems stable at this point. Hope this helps.

A big tanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot.