Solutions: 1

VLAN tagged/untagged

I currently have the following setup:

• edgerouter lite
  • edgeswitch 24p poe
  • 2 ac-pro ap

It is configured as followed (only vlan 6 btw):

I was wondering if it's also possible to configure it like this:

To make this possible I would have to be able to (un)tag vlan ports which seems possible in the edgeswitch interface, but seems to be missing from the edgerouter interface.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1546
Solutions: 281

Re: VLAN tagged/untagged

[ Edited ]

You can do this with ER-X which has built in switch and you can configure PVID/VID on each port to your liking  ER-L has only routed ports and you can't configure PVID.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

Ok so no GO for the ER-L. What about the ER-4? Or the new ER-6?

Veteran Member

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]
Veteran Member

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

750/750. Think I'll wait until the new ER-6 comes out. Moving to the ER-X feels like a downgrade and next to that I'm also looking to mount it in my rack and since I'm only finding rackmountkits online for ER-L (and ER-4) that seems to narrow my options. Pro is overkill for me. Too bad they went with the 24 VDC instead of AC though.

Veteran Member

IMO ER-X is an upgrade from ER-L. 4 cores instead of 2, faster clock, built-in switch and great price. ER-6 will be much more money. ...but whatever fits your needs & bill 

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 4

You can do it, but you probably shouldn't. As others have pointed out, the ER-L has no l2 switch (without virtual bridging, which has significant performance penalties), so you'd have to route all traffic which would make your network diagram a little odd (vlan 7 on the NTU side would be a different vlan than on the TEL side -- even though they are both tagged with vid 7).

That said, if you really wanted to you could setup separate virtual interfaces for vlans 4, 6 and 7 on both the NTU physical interface and vlan 7 on the TEL interface and then route between them. A virtual interface will always tag egress traffic -- and ingress doesn't matter other than determining which vif to use (because it's a router, not a switch).

Respectfully, I would question your entire premise. A good l2 managed switch is invaluable and can typically handle much more traffic across its switch fabric than a router w/ SoC switching (I use a 24-Port HP Procurve myself at home, but there are lots of good options at that scale).

Kudos: 1507
Solutions: 197

wrote:

ER-6 yes. But that is not available yet. 

No the ER-6P does not have a builtin switch either - they are all L3 (routed) ports.

Highlighted
Emerging Member

According to this the clock is faster, but both 2 cores and half the memory on ER-X.