Visual display of bandwidth like Amplifi / Ufiber Nano

Does anyone know of any small hardware devices that can display the currently bandwidth utilisation on a link in a similar way to the Amplifi HD/ Ufiber Nano do?

We recently upgraded from an Amplifi HD system in the office to a Unifi/EdgeSwitch/EdgeRouter setup and it's working great. However, I miss the realtime visual display of bandwidth utilisation that we got from the Amplifi HD. We have a very slow internet connection (rual location) and trying to run a business with 10+ work stations on it is challenging. It's useful to see, at a quick glance, the current throughput to see if $x website is just responding slowly or if something in the office is hogging the bandwidth.

I know that the EdgeRouter UI gives me the throughput on the interfaces via it's UI, but having to login to check it is a faff - the Amplifi HD base station allowed me to quickly glance over. I guess I could put together some sort of homebrew system to give the same view using a Raspberry Pi or something, but I'd rather something off the shelf.

The currently setup is Unifi APs into the EdgeSwitch, then a single uplink from the EdgeSwitch network into the EdgeRouter and then out of the ISP from there. I'm thinking about something that can sit inbetween the EdgeSwitch and EdgeRouter or the EdgeRouter and the ISP modem.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks

Kudos: 161
Solutions: 8

Re: Visual display of bandwidth like Amplifi / Ufiber Nano

This doesn't answer your question at all, but it may be of use Man Happy

If you have limited bandwidth, this may be a good addition to your network..

A Raspberry Pi 3, with pihole installed, it blocks adverts via DNS. You set this as your primary external DNS server and voila!

Easy to whitelist domains.

http://web.pi-hole.io/#/dashboard
GUI demo^

https://pi-hole.net/
Kudos: 56
Solutions: 27

You don't need anything in between your devices; both the EdgeSwitch and the EdgeRouter can provide traffic measurement via SNMP, so you just need something to poll the SNMP stats from the device and turn the information into a display. This could certainly be done on a Raspberry Pi with a display of some sort.

Thanks @kpfleming - thats sort of what I meant by a homebrew solution. I was hoping the was some pre-existing hardware device that could do something like this which would look a bit nicer on the eye than a Pi and a monitor :-)

@bledd I hadn't seen that before, but it's a neat idea. I'll take a look thanks.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1544
Solutions: 281

[ Edited ]

@rgalps on a side note, with small bandwidth and high utilization consider enabling QoS -> SmartQueue on the upload/download to help you get the responsiveness for your apps. What is your UP/DOWN speeds?

Download we have around 13Mbps and upload we're lucky if we get 500Kbps. I've not really played with QoS before, but one thing I notice is that if someone is uploading something, it totally kills the download speed. It was one of the main reaons I used the Amplifi's throughput display - to see when the uplaod was maxed out.

@BranoB What would you suggest for the upload/download QoS values in the SmartQueue config?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1544
Solutions: 281

[ Edited ]

SmartQueue will improve exactly what you're experiencing.

Just select the correct WAN interface and put the upload download values. No need to adjust any advanced settings.

In the upload/download put the highest numbers you can speed test when the network is not utilized.

@BranoB That seems to have helped. A quick test uploading something via scp while running a speed test seemed to stall the scp transfer and the speed test was a reasonable speed.

Checking the queue values on the CLI, do these seem about right to you?

russ@ubnt:~$ show queueing               
Interface  Policy                 Sent    Dropped  Overlimit
eth0       shaper             10188412          0      59095
ifb_eth0   shaper             18488692          0       5388
imq0       default               19168          0          0
russ@ubnt:~$ show queueing ethernet eth0

eth0 Queueing:
Class      Policy               Sent     Rate  Dropped Overlimit  Backlog
root       shaper           11506964                 0    60260        0

Thanks very much for your help with this, unexpected bonus!