Kudos: 5

WAN DNS to Clients

So I have a small home set up of wonderful Ubiquiti gear. I use an ER-X 5-Port connected to a 2A power adapter that can run the ER-X and an UAP AC-Lite from the 5th Port. My ISP can do 100mbps connected to eth0 with but unfortunately my ISP can only do pppoe. I have pppoe0 on eth0 and switch0 on remaining ports and eth4 is passthrough for the AP which has a static IP(not really relevant). Which brings me to my question.

What I am trying to do is, I want all the clients I connect to the AP. All these clients fall in the 192.168.1.0/24 pool and connect via DHCP. What I dont want, is for the clients to use 192.168.1.1 as the DNS and instead the ISP DNS which are assigned everytime the router connects to the ISP via PPPoE ... I tried removing any DNS from my Service -> LAN -> View Leases but then no DNS is provided to the clients and they simply cant connect to the internet. 

I found a few solutions like 'set service dns forwarding dhcp' but I believe thats for DHCP ISPs not PPPoE ...

Now the reason I am trying this:

I live in India and the ISPs here have a hit and miss performance. Different ISPs in different areas perform differently. Mine has great speeds poor pings. What I dont want is for the router to be the DNS here. I just want the requests straight to go to the DNS servers. I am aware that using the router as DNS should improve that but I want to try this first. I had an old cheap D-Link router that was able to do this. All my clients used ISP DNS and for some reason I used to believe it performed better because of that.

Can someone give me a solution to this. I spent last few hours going through the forums trying out things but nothing has worked so far.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8742
Solutions: 1489

Re: WAN DNS to Clients

Have you set the router's DHCP service with the [external]

DNS servers you want it to provide to clients on the LAN?    Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

Nope ive just set it through the GUI ... WAN + 2LAN2 with PPPoE on eth0 ... then tried to do a few tweaks through CLI which didnt work...  can you walk me through it ... not sure what you are referring to ... 

SuperUser

Go to the Services tab and select DHCP,

then configure the DNS servers you want

the DHCP service to provide to clients.

Have you read the manual?   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Solutions: 1

Web UI -> Services -> DHCP Server -> View details -> Set the values "DNS 1" and "DNS 2" to the desired DNS servers.

In the meanwhile you can also setup DNS in the system:
System (at the bottom of Web UI) -> Name servers -> Set the values to the desired DNS servers.

You might also want to navigate to:

Config Tree -> service / dns / forwarding -> Set name-server to desired DNS servers

Yes that is set to 192.168.1.1 now instead of that I want it to be what ISP provides me with everytime it connects via PPPoE for every client without manually intervening because everytime it will be different !

SuperUser

Your ISP's DNS servers should not change with a change

in IP address--those are entirely different. An ISP only

has a few DNS servers, and they almost never change.

That 192.168.1.1 value was set automatically by the wizard.

Remove that and replace with the two DNS servers provided

by your ISP. If you don't know what they are, ask them.    Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com