Kudos: 65
Solutions: 4

WAN Failover on existing installation

I have an existing installation with a ER-X SFP and Edgeswitches with some VLAN and VPN configurations.  The client has asked for a WAN Failover and i would like to configure it without having to go through configuring the router again.  The included wizards would wipe the config.  Is there a set of instructions on how to change the config manually without affecting the config?

Thanks.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 463
Solutions: 383

Re: WAN Failover on existing installation

Hi @Novais,

We have an article here that shows the CLI statements that the Load-Balancing wizard adds to the configuration. You should be able to modify the configuration to fit your specific scenario. The most important areas, are the definitions of the WAN interfaces and the LAN interface where the balance firewall policy is applied. 

-Ben

Ben Pin | Ubiquiti Support

@UBNT-benpin This took me quite a while to get to but I tried this out on our test unit and i guess i messed something up because the router became almost totally unresponsive.  Ended up resetting and using the wizard for load balancing and it worked just fine.

The issue i am noticing now is that i either cant get the DDNS to update on the failover to the new IP and/or i cant get it to update to a secondary DDNS address.  I have multiple DDNS addresses setup one on the eth0 and one on the eth1 but they both update to the eth0 address.  Doesn't really work for a failover if i cant redirect services to the failover address!  Any thoughts there?

@UBNT-benpin   A quick update.  Ive done some more testing with the failover and it appear to be trying to update the DDNS with the failover WAN IP when the primary fails, thats good.  But the address that its updating with is not correct.  The DDNS server is showing an address update when the failover happens.  

Any thoughts on this?  

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1977
Solutions: 871

afaik, you can't use DDNS on both WAN interfaces, as you can't do PBR for locally generated packets.

So packets belonging to DDNS WAN1 might go out on WAN2...masqueraded with WAN2 IP

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 463
Solutions: 383

@16again is correct, the primary WAN interface will be the only interface used to update the DynDNS. One option is to try and use a transition script to force an update whenever the failover happens.

Please also have a look at the topic here.

-Ben

Ben Pin | Ubiquiti Support

@UBNT-benpin okay that kind of makes sense.  The DDNS programing page is a little misleading.  Each DDNS entry has the option to choose the interface.  i was hoping that when the router is in failover mode that i can remotely access the systems and/or a VPN could failover to the secondary interface when the primary is down.  Is this a possible scenario?

What i was seeing from the DDNS registry was when the failover happened there was an IP update but it was not the failover IP, it was what appeared to be a random WAN IP.