Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

WEB UI - Services - DHCP leases/available wrong number ???

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody

I'm newbie in networking. Last month I bought ERL and since then I'm happy with using it. It works stable and reliable.

It has 1.6.0 firmware, both LANs eth1 and eth2 are bridged to make one subnet. I know it affects performance but I don't need speed - for now Man Happy

I have one suggestion to implement it in incoming 1.7.0 firmware

I set subnet 192.168.1.0, range start is 192.168.1.2, end is 192.168.1.31. It makes pool size 30.

I have mapped all of my stuff like computer,routers,TV, tablets, cell phones, printer with static IPs.

In this case ERL leases 0 IP addresses, but it shows 30 available IP addresses, which isn't true, cause I have nearly half of them assigned as static IPs. Perhaps you can add one window with number of assigned IPs and distract this number from available.

Kr

Michal

Accepted Solutions
Previous Employee
Kudos: 3092
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Re: WEB UI - Services - DHCP leases/available wrong number ???

Static entries are not stored in the lease file.  So I think the static should be counted as already leased.

If you want to see the statics that are requesting their address you can enable logging - link.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5429
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

RiQ_SwarE wrote:

In this case ERL leases 0 IP addresses, but it shows 30 available IP addresses, which isn't true, cause I have nearly half of them assigned as static IPs. Perhaps you can add one window with number of assigned IPs and distract this number from available.

Yeah actually this has been discussed before, and in fact when a static mapping is configured "within" the pool range, it actually reduces the pool size (instead of keeping the same pool size and counting the static as "leased"). So you have a good point here and we should probably change it to show something like "0 leased, 15 static, 15 available" in this example. Thanks for the feedback!

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 4929
Solutions: 1391

[ Edited ]

Did you assign the IP addresses statically on the devices, or do DHCP reservations on the router based on their MAC addresses?

If the former, then the DHCP server will have no idea that those IP addresses have been used, and therefore will still think they are available. Also, using static IP addresses from within your DHCP scope is a bad thing(tm).

If the latter, then it's probably a display bug and/or the devices haven't (hadn't) requested a new DHCP lease when you looked - they only try to renew when their current lease has reached about half of its lifetime (so if you have a 1day lease, the devices check after 12 hours ... and so on).

(edit - ugh, too early to spell right Man Sad )

Thanks for reply

I did DHCP reservations on my ERL based on MAC addresses, so it's probably bug.

That's why I'm asking ubnt to correct it with nearest firmware revision.

I know it's not huge, but every small step leads us to perfection Man Happy

SuperUser
Kudos: 4929
Solutions: 1391

try running a release / renew cycle on the devices then, see if it changes the display.

Since I assigned static IPs (~ 2 weeks ago) I did it several times but nothing happened.

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3092
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

Static entries are not stored in the lease file.  So I think the static should be counted as already leased.

If you want to see the statics that are requesting their address you can enable logging - link.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development
Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5429
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

RiQ_SwarE wrote:

Yeah actually this has been discussed before, and in fact when a static mapping is configured "within" the pool range, it actually reduces the pool size (instead of keeping the same pool size and counting the static as "leased"). So you have a good point here and we should probably change it to show something like "0 leased, 15 static, 15 available" in this example. Thanks for the feedback!

[ Edited ]

Thanks UBNT-sting and UBNT-ancheng. Your answers solve my little "problem".

Now I'm looking forward for adding "number of static IPs" position in this tab.

Kr

Michal