Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

What Access Point to use with UNMS

I have been using the Unifi SG Pro4 with a Cloud Key but recently set up a Edge Router 4 with UNMS on AWS. I would like to switch to the Edge Series and wandering how to program or monitor the  AC Pros or which access point I should use with the UNMS.

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 421
Solutions: 348

Re: What Access Point to use with UNMS

Hi @Drewnation, welcome to the UBNT forums!

If you scroll down to the bottom of the UNMS page there will be a list of all supported devices. The access points that can currently be managed by UNMS are part of the AirMAX family (for example, the AirGateway). As @sergioloera already mentioned, simple monitoring services for UniFi devices is planned for Q4 2018.

Another option is to install the UniFi controller on the same EC2 instance in AWS. The UniFi and UNMS controller can be run simultaneously on the same server.

Hope that helps!

Ben

Ben Pin - EdgeMAX Support

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 5109
Solutions: 1455

AFAIK, none. 

UAPs are UniFi, and managed there.

So I still need to  use a Cloud Key and manage them separately in Unifi while managing the  Edge Router in UNMS. Are there any plans to introduce an Access Point that can be managed in UNMS?

SuperUser

Or a server somewhere (I *think* unms and unifi play nice on the same box, but I haven't really followed it).

As far as I know, no.  UNMS is kinda geared toward a different market segment from the sound of it (i.e. "providers" moreso than "small business")... but then I kinda stopped paying attention after the initial "well that's cool" wore off.

Kudos: 74

Don't know the particulars but...

UniFi®Connect your UniFi network as UNMS™ client (simple monitoring)

Q4 2018

You can find the rest of the roadmap here https://unms.com/

On the main page of the UNMS website it says "You can even manage your client APs with ease. Management of all devices in a single application: UNMS™. I was simply wandering how this happens and what AP's are they talking about. No one seems to know or they keep refering back to the Unifi products which require the Cloud Key and the Unifi portal. I would like to elemenate the Cloud Key and having to loginto a different place to manage the AP. I don't understand why Ubiquiti would have that on their website if they do not really support AP Control through the UNMS Portal.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 421
Solutions: 348

Hi @Drewnation, welcome to the UBNT forums!

If you scroll down to the bottom of the UNMS page there will be a list of all supported devices. The access points that can currently be managed by UNMS are part of the AirMAX family (for example, the AirGateway). As @sergioloera already mentioned, simple monitoring services for UniFi devices is planned for Q4 2018.

Another option is to install the UniFi controller on the same EC2 instance in AWS. The UniFi and UNMS controller can be run simultaneously on the same server.

Hope that helps!

Ben

Ben Pin - EdgeMAX Support

So this is my conclusion to what has been said above. First it was mentioned that the Edge Series was geared toward "Providers". I can see that the WISP antenas and AP's are geared for providers but an Edge Router and Edge Switches are not. The only flaw in the UNMS Edge Series is the Access Points for Small Business. You have a complete variety of Edge Routers and Edge POE Switches but no AC Pro type Acccess Point to complete it. To me this is a PITA. I like everybody else on the planet do not want to have to purchase a Cloud Key and have a separate Unifi Dashboard just to manage AP's.  Ubiquiti needs to simply add an AC Pro to the AirMax series and this debate would be over. I prefer the Edge routers as to me it is MUCH easier to install the router and connect it to the Internet than the Unifi USG Pro4 as you must first Discover the CK and go through that process and it must be done on site. It is dificult to configure a Unifi USG in our office and then take to a site and simply change the Static IP.  Bottom line is Ubiquiti needs to add a AP to the UNMS servies.

[ Edited ]

Why so much compatibility problem on the same producer?!? When say Apple, every device work like a charm between each of them, Cisco the same. But Ubiquiti no. UNMS, UNIFI, Amplifi, totally out of the way! Yes they are cheaper at surface. But time spent with compatibility problem, anger when you find that you bought a wrong product because the man on the chat recomend it, and so on, really worth it? I bought an EdgeRouter 4 and I want to add an Indoor AP AC Poe(like Pro at Unifi). UBNT employee reply, here, two useless, identical message. Because he pointed on AirMax which is mostly for outdoor. How is this happen in this world? You mock Cisco because are expensive. Indeed but you have compatibility. Same with Apple. And this is the mother of all!

SuperUser

The product breakdown is quite simple:

If you want a consumer product / controllable via phone app -> Amplifi

If you want a single pane of glass / wholly integrated system -> UniFi

If you want the most configuration options (at the expense of a fully integrated system) -> EdgeMax and AirMax 

Ok, AirMax, I understand that(a little late but...). But which one?
P.S.- Your answer should be on ALL UBIQUITI SITES! In that manner the clients doesn’t have a headache!
SuperUser

The "AirMax" line is the long-range outdoor stuff ... 

[ Edited ]

Well, in a true spirit of Ubiquiti, I will buy a UAC Pro AP. So, to make Ubiquiti more ROFL of us, dumb buyiers, I will have an UNMS EdgeRouter, an AmplifiHD and a Unifi AP! Every one of this Ubiquiti product doesn’t know about each other. Maybe if I will cascade a Juniper and a HP Proliant will make a difference? Probable this last two will be more compatible with Ubiquiti products.. Ubnt Banana

Established Member
Kudos: 289
Solutions: 90

@swordfish77 wrote:

Well, in a true spirit of Ubiquiti, I will buy a UAC Pro AP. So, to make Ubiquiti more ROFL of us, dumb buyiers, I will have an UNMS EdgeRouter, an AmplifiHD and a Unifi AP! Every one of this Ubiquiti product doesn’t know about each other. Maybe if I will cascade a Juniper and a HP Proliant will make a difference? Probable this last two will be more compatible with Ubiquiti products.. Ubnt Banana

But that's your choice! Isn't it wonderful that we have choices?  No sarcasm!

But seriously, your Edgerouter and Unifi AP(s) make your Amplifi redundant, no? Why have you thrown that into the mix? 

SuperUser

@swordfish77 wrote:

Sure, do that if you want.

Or if you want it "unified", just get a UniFi USG along with the UAP...

Although kinda weird that you're mixing AmpliFi with anything ...

Each of those Ubiquiti products are on a diferent locations and it will be wonderfull to have posibility to reunite and setup them under the same application. Now I have at least two apps(AmplifiHD, Unifi) and a cloud account for UNMS... I mean, for real?!? Under the SAME name?

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 289
Solutions: 90

@swordfish77 wrote:

Each of those Ubiquiti products are on a diferent locations and it will be wonderfull to have posibility to reunite and setup them under the same application. Now I have at least two apps(AmplifiHD, Unifi) and a cloud account for UNMS... I mean, for real?!? Under the SAME name?

Oh, if they're in different locations then that's another matter, then I understand.  Different use cases call for different products, of course.  But you complain about them being under the same name, you mean brand name?  You had previously contrasted with Cisco - but just like Cisco has their Meraki line and their ASA line of firewalls, or Cisco with their Aeronet line of Wifi products and their Meraki line of Wifi products.  Or Cisco with Catalyst vs Nexus.  Different products and lines for different use cases.