Established Member
Kudos: 451
Solutions: 142

Why are support articles password protected now?

I keep running into help articles that the site demands a password for. Then, I have to register for the site again (?!) and it still tells me I'm not authorized to view them.

Examples:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204976394-EdgeRouter-How-can-I-use-scripts-to-change-the-con...

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/218889067-EdgeMAX-How-to-Protect-a-Guest-Network-on-EdgeRout...

What's going on? Why are these useful articles (and others) unavailable now?

Kudos: 1385
Solutions: 186

Re: Why are support articles password protected now?

I am seeing the same, which is saddening.

The help center (KB) articles had been growing quicky but then all of the sudden half of them dissappeared and many others now have restricted access.  Several articles that had been very useful now can't be found at all.

Help center articles aren't very helpful if they can't actually be found and read Man Sad

Established Member
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 78

I'm hoping this is not a trend or intentional action, but rather a side effect of some backend work that UBNT is doing on their site that will be fixed sometime in the not-too-distant future, or maybe some articles are being updated... at least, I hope.

To the UBNT employees on these forums (hoping they are reading this thread):

Please don't make it difficult to access support articles. Some users on these forums, especially those new to advanced networking or even just generally UBNT equipment, have been very frustrated by the seeming lack of technical support options. As great as the forums are (and the community of active and enthusiastic users here), when compared to forum posts, the official support articles are often easier to read/digest with both specific and generic examples as well as explanations about the theory. They are also easier to search. As such, there are a lot of forum posts that actually reference these support articles in order to help solve issues.

Remember that these articles are good for both pre and post sales support, and are an important element of the UBNT offerings. Removing or password protecting the articles has multiple downsides: it makes it much harder to get 'officially recommended' methods for certain configuration tasks, it may be frustrating to many users, and it puts more burden on the (volunteer) forum community.

Thanks for reading!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 365
Solutions: 26

Hi guys, sorry about that. These articles you run into and suddenly demand for a password are those articles that we "retire" because they are too outdated,  there's now a better article covering the subject, or improvements in the GUI have made them unnecessary, etc. What I usually do is redirect these articles to the new one covering the same subject, but I will sometimes miss one. This is all part of a bigger improvement plan and general clean up we are performing on the Help Center. 

It is definitely not our plan to make articles less accessible to you, or to start removing articles. We just want to clean it up a bit so articles are cleaner, updated and more current, and that user searches are more effective. Whenever you bump into Help Center article issues such as this one, please feel free to tag me personally and I'll assist you right away. Let me see what's up with these specifically, if we have a new one already, or if it's in the works. I'll be back!

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Help Center & Translation Projects

If you haven't read our User Guides, you haven't lived yet. Find the UniFi Controller User Guide and other product user guides on our Downloads page!

Established Member

Thanks, Alex. Might I suggest, if it's possible, instead of just password protecting them, add a banner to these articles saying they have been superseded by a newer one with a link to the article? Maybe auto-forward people to the new one too.
Established Member
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 78

I agree with @gfunkdave -- a soft deprication would be preferable since it won't break links in older threads and such (unless the actual link location has to change for some other reason).

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

That's  a good idea @gfunkdave & @shermbug. I'll also work on making these updates more transparent, so you're not left wondering what's going on. So for these two articles specifically: the How to Protect a Guest Network on EdgeRouter article is being updated right now and will be back very soon. The How can I use scripts to change the configuration? was taken out of circulation because we received reports that it was causing issues for customers, instead of helping because they were using it incorrectly. We're deliberating if it's okay to publish it with a BIG warning, or if it should just reside in the Community instead. But while we decide, I leave it here, just in case:

Please be careful using this script, it's one of those "use at your own risk" ones.

Here is an example script to change a tunnel IP address. 

ubnt@ubnt:~$ cat change_tun_ip
#!/bin/vbash if [ $# == 0 ]; then echo usage: $0 exit 1 fi new_ip=$1; source /opt/vyatta/etc/functions/script-template configure set interfaces tunnel tun0 local-ip $new_ip commit
save exit

Here's an example script to enable/disable PoE on an interface of EdgeRouter PoE:

#!/bin/vbash
if [ $# -ne 2 ]; then
   echo "usage: $0  [24v|48v|off]";
   exit 1;
fi
intf=$1
val=$2

poe=`/usr/sbin/ubnt-hal-e hasPoeE`
if [ "$poe" != 1 ]; then
   echo This platform does not support PoE;
   exit 1;
fi
source /opt/vyatta/etc/functions/script-template

configure
set interfaces ethernet $intf poe output $val
commit
save
exit

There is also some good info on the shell-API at Vyatta's CLI shell API page.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

If you haven't read our User Guides, you haven't lived yet. Find the UniFi Controller User Guide and other product user guides on our Downloads page!

Kudos: 1385
Solutions: 186

Another +1 for adding a header or similar to indicate the article is no longer current with a reference to the newer article.

It isn't clear that all of the articles that have dissappeared and become accessible actually have newer/current alternatives.  For instance the 'How To Protect a Guest Network. . .' article presented a specfic example relevant to several repeated questions asking exactly how to do that.  I used to provide a link to that article in response but that no longer is possible.

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes @waterside, that's a good point. Updating sometimes means adding a bit more information or a big formatting update to make it easier to read or navigate. It doesn't necessarily mean a change in process. Which is the case of the Protect one. This one should be back by tomorrow on that same link. But I agree, a banner letting users know what is going on is the way to go. I'll implement that. There are still a few out there with this issue. So you might bump into them before I get to all of them. Just tag me and I'll come help. I really appreciate you guys sharing this feedback by the way, the Help Center is for you after all, and it's always easiest to improve when users share their preferences. Keep it coming Man Happy

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

Last one! I promise! No more notification spam Smiley Very Happy But Ben just let me know the article is updated and accessible: EdgeRouter - How to Protect a Guest Network.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 1

Yes, I can confirm. This article is accesible without login.

Established Member

Thanks so much for dealing with this well.

Ubiquiti Employee

Any time! Ubnt Banana

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png