Kudos: 2

mdns reflector help, computer name keeps changing

Hi, I have an ERL, TS8 and a Unifi AP. I've enabled mdns reflector on ERL to use airplay across vlans, however it seems that all apple devices (all wifi) keeps changing names (ie, Apple TV -> Apple TV (2) -> Apple TV (3)... etc). The number changing in the name isn't a big deal for any of the i-devices, but the mac's keep popping up alerts every time the name changes. Any help appreciated.
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5429
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Re: mdns reflector help, computer name keeps changing

Yeah this has been discussed before (for example here) and we would need to look into it.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

UBNT-ancheng wrote:

Yeah this has been discussed before (for example here) and we would need to look into it.

If we could figure this it would be incredibly helpful.

Kudos: 2

Same problem here, although I noticed that it only applies to the Apple TV (AppleTV3,1), not an older Airport Express (Airport4,107). The latter keeps the name without adding an (x) suffix. For the Macs itself this only happens if I change the connection really fast (ex. LAN->WLAN->LAN).

Kudos: 1

I hope this get's resolved soon! Streaming from my iPad mini to my Apple TV is very unstable because the name always seems to change.

Kudos: 224
Solutions: 26

I have never had a problem with this and I have the mdns reflection turned on. I use the slingbox app and airplay it to my appletv all the time.
Kudos: 7

Has there been any progress on this issue? I have the same problem as soon as I turn on the mDNS reflector in my Edgerouter lite. The names on on Macs, and on my Airport Extreme base station start counting upwards (1), (2), (3)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated I am looking to get Bonjour Discovery working accross my L2TP remote access link.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Kudos: 77
Solutions: 12

You have to manually edit the Avahi configuration to prevent this annoying Bonjour behavior:

If you disable caching of mDNS entries on the EdgeRouter the Bonjour devices don't see their names as already taken, so there won't be any more adding numbers to the end of the name.

I'm not sure though, if this increases the load on the router if you have a lot of Bonjour devices - but with a dozen or less devices I couldn't notice any problems.

To disable caching you have to edit the configuration manually over CLI:

sudo vi /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf

Then disable caching:

cache-entries-max=0

Don't forget to uncomment the line, if necessary.

It'd propably be a good idea to add a CLI command for manual Avahi options in future versions, because after any upgrade/downgrade this change get's lost.

Kudos: 7

Thanks. That prevents the names for changing, but it look like it hasn't yet solved my L2TP/Bonjour issue (see here).