Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

vyatta-op depends on ssmtp

I wanted to install Postfix today on EdgeRouter LITE, because I need it for nagios and unfortunately vyatta-op has hardcoded dependency on ssmtp which it shouldn't have. It should depend on mail-transport-agent. And according to

https://github.com/remfalc/vyt-vyatta-op/blob/master/debian/changelog

It was fixed in 13.20, while on 1.6.0 firmware we have 14.13 with still unfixed dependency. So i think it is a bug.

SuperUser
Kudos: 7881
Solutions: 233

Re: vyatta-op depends on ssmtp

Nagios makes me cry.

Have you checked out Observium?

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog

That won't solve my problem. I have been using Nagios for many many years and I would like to have it that way. But even if I move to anything else I have still problem with that dependency. 

So I will put it that way - how to replace ssmtp with any MTA? Postfix, Exim, qmail, whatever?

SuperUser
Kudos: 7881
Solutions: 233

I'm sorry, I don't know how to fix your problem.

Observium does not require an MTA on the devices though.

observium-edgeos.png

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Highlighted
Previous Employee
Kudos: 5430
Solutions: 1656
Contributions: 2

Yeah we can look into changing the dependency to make it easier to install different packages. For now, it may be possible to use the ssmtp package for sendning email by adding a sendmail symlink (e.g., as discussed before here). If that is not sufficient and another package is required, a "forced" install may work. For example, for 1.6 (wheezy-based) and exim4 packages, download the Debian packages to the router first and then try:

sudo dpkg -i --force-all exim4-base_4.80-7+deb7u1_mips.deb exim4-config_4.80-7+deb7u1_all.deb exim4-daemon-light_4.80-7+deb7u1_mips.deb

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply. I know that I can configure ssmtp in a way that it sens email via (let say) gmail account or install with aptitude options. But it will break dependencies and it will scream every time I do anything with aptitude. I thinkt that much cleaner way it would be to have that dependency fixed.

Also I have other issues with nagios (for example PHP conflicts with ubnt-* packages), but I can handle it the same way.

Thank you!

Kudos: 5

[ Edited ]

I had a similar problem. I wanted write an uptime logging script that will mail me if the internet goes down. For portability, I didn't want my script to require on ssmtp because ssmtp is no longer maintained, so I preferred to use the standard mail command, which I am assuming is what Nagios was looking for as well. Symlinking the binaries for /usr/bin/mail and /usr/bin/sendmail to /usr/sbin/ssmtp didn't work because ssmtp does't support all of the options that the mail command does.

I also tried installing Postfix and Exim but I had many dependency problems and I wasn't willing to force the install, especially since this could cause one of the built-in binaries to not function correctly.

Fortunately it is not necessary to install a full MTA if all you are doing is sending email. You can simply install mailx with:

sudo apt-get install mailutils

This doesn't appear to conflict with any installed packages and only uses up about 4 MB of disk space.

Note: I am not sure what Nagios needs Postfix for, but you should not need to receive email on the router, only send email. Receiving/storing/routing email as well as other services (webservers, databases, file servers, etc) should be done by servers on your network behind the firewall.

Previous Employee
Kudos: 3092
Solutions: 945
Contributions: 16

BTW, the vyatta-op depencies were changed over a year ago to be depend on either ssmtp or mail-transport-agent.

EdgeMAX Router Software Development