Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 2

ES-10XP Dropping small packets over PPPoE

@UBNT-benpinWe have been having issues where we have installed ES-10XPs with ~2% packet loss showing up in our monitoring software. We have bene able to adjust the packet size to max MTU and no packets drop. We can bypass PPPoE sessions on our client's CPEs and the packet loss vanishes regardless of packet size. We do not have this issue anywhere else in our network, and it seems to strictly target small packets over PPPoE. If you would like to try and confirm this on your end, we set MTU to 1400 over our PPPoE sessions (not my decision, I'm against it). Could you please setup a lab and confirm if you can reproduce this? We have 3 sites currently using 10XP, and they are the only 3 sites we have this issue at. There is no packet loss to our access points or ptp radios that pass through the 10XP, as they don't use PPPoE. It's also showing up on clients that are directly wired to the switch (site owners).

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 560
Solutions: 441

Re: ES-10XP Dropping small packets over PPPoE

Hi @rtacheny,

Can you provide some more information on your testing setup? How large are the packets that are you sending over the PPPoE session? 

Do you see any packet drops on the clients themselves or on the interface statistics of the ES-10XP?

-Ben

Ben Pin | Ubiquiti Support

Kudos: 62
Solutions: 2

@UBNT-benpin56byte packets drop. We can set to max MTU size (1400 over our PPPoE) and don't see a single drop. The interfaces are not recording any errors and the packet loss doesn't show up pinging the switch, it shows up on the clients. About 3 hours ago I upgraded to 1.1.1 on 4 sites. So far 3 of the 4 look clean, but the 4th still had the packet loss. I know I had another thread here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch/Edgeswitch-10XP-Packet-Loss/m-p/2724095#M21610

I initially thought this was a new issue, but now I'm not sure. From the previous thread, that site we had swapped out all hardware and cables and still saw the packet loss when set to 1Gbps. Currently on 1.1.1 the packet loss is gone at 1gbps (it's still to early to tell).

Now, the 4th site that I said didn't get bettter with the update to 1.1.1? It seems to be better after forcing the interface to 100Mbps full. The strange thing is, the access points are negotiated to 1gbps full and that doesn't seem to effect anything.

What does this mean? My theory so far on what needs to be present to reproduce the issue:

PPPoE connections
small 56 byte packet size on ping
connection coming into edge switch (closest to device that is pinging) needs to negotiate to 1gbps full duplex.

I will update you with more information as more data collects from the changes I made today. As for the old thread? I'm going to link this one in there to direct correspondance to this thread.

Sorry to butt in guys but we just installed our 1st ES10XP and we appear to be dropping packets as well. What's the best way for me to capture a log of packets coming into and going out of the ES10XP? I'd like to help resolve this issue not just for me but for future users.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 560
Solutions: 441

Hi @tctillie, welcome to the Community.

Can you forward me the tech-support file (show tech-support) in a PM and some more details about your setup? Are you using 100M or 1G interfaces and which devices are you connecting to?

-Ben

Ben Pin | Ubiquiti Support