Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 1

ES16-XG strange connection problem to Netgear FS748Tv5

Hi All,

Hoping someone may have seen this before and can offer some suggestions.

We have a new ES16-XG that we are trying to connect to a Netgear via 1G SFP modules.

The link speed on the ES is set to 1000 in the GUI, and i've tried a handful of SFP modules and cables (all known to be working elsewhere) the current config is with 2 Netgear modules.

The Netgear has 4 SFP ports 47 and 48 are shared with copper, 49 and 50 are SFP only.

Connecting to 47 or 48 work fine, the link comes up, and traffic flows.

Connecting to 49 or 50 gives a link light on the ES but nothing on the Netgear.

However, the same setup but using an ES12-F in place of the 16-XG works fine over all ports.

So something seems unhappy only when the 10G switch is being used to talk to the higher nubmered Netgear ports, but all other combos are ok.

Serious head scratching going on here, so any suggestions more than welcome.

Cheers.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Re: ES16-XG strange connection problem to Netgear FS748Tv5

What firmware do you have on the ES16-XG?

The latest version from what I could see from the download links, and one of the first things I updated.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

And how are you making these connections over SFP -- DAC or FIber?

---

I'm not sure how you feel about running beta firmware in production switches, nor if you have access to the beta forum, but the current RC addresses a few issues with incompatible DACs that may address your issue:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeSwitch-Beta/Previous-beta-releases/m-p/1108565#M190

Re: ES16-XG strange connection problem to Netgear GS748Tv5

[ Edited ]

They are seperate fibre connections, so not using DAC.

Have tried different branded modules, and a number of different fibre cables, all show the same result.

It is just very strange that ES16 -> GS748p47 works, then moving the module to ES16 -> GS748p49 does not.

I don't have access to the link provided, but as it's not a DAC issue, it may not help.

I'm going to go test other switches to see what happens in the mean time.

Edit - corrected model numbers Man Happy

Ok, i've found a couple more switches of different models that i've been able to test with the 16-XG

Again 1G modules, with the switch interfaces set to 1000 through the GUI

Netgear GS724Tv3

Shared Copper/SFP ports 23/24 - these connect and come up fine

Netgear FS750T2

Shared Copper/SFP ports 49/50 - these experience the same as the GS748T... Uplink light shows on the ES16, but not on the Netgear...

As above, if I then move the module to the ES12-F and connect to either 49 or 50, it comes up fine.

Does the ES16-XG have a problem connecting to interfaces numbered higher than 48? As that is one of the few common factors of when things fail.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 2

Hi JJPera,

From your description, I'm guessing that Netgear 47/48 and 49/50 uses different AN setting, which cause this unlinkable behavior. Please try change the AN setting on netgear, or the enhance link detect image (1.7.1rc) , and give us some feedback, thanks!

- Jeremy

Thanks @UBNT-JeremyWu

On the Netgear, all ports set to Auto, and cannot change that on the SFP ports. (it gives a warning saying that the speed of the SFP can't be changed)

How do I get to the 1.7.1 download?

Thanks in advance

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 17

Dear JJPera,

Please refer to How To Sign Up for Beta Access.

Then, you can get the firmware from 1.7.1rc release.

Thank you,

Jonjer

Thanks,

Waiting for access to the area, and will give the image a go when I get a window to be able to take the switch down.

I assume it is possible to roll back to the current relese if required?

James

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes, we did not block rollback image as long as the image is for that specific platform, thanks!

- Jeremy

Hi @UBNT-jonjer @UBNT-JeremyWu @avluis

I've managed to get a window to install the RC1 firmware and test it this weekend.

After upgrading to the release candidate, I have experienced the following:

Keeping the port configured the same (1000MBs Full Duplex) - the link still fails.

Changing the port setting to the newly available Auto-Detect now correctly works, and will connect to P50 on both the FS750T2 and GS748Tv5

So looks like things are fixed for now, and i'll keep an eye out for the final release of the new Firmware update.

Many thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee

The new "Auto-Detect" for SFP/SFP+ will try to solve those speed and auto-negotiate configure difference between devices, so if you are not sure whether the port setting of the link partner, set to "Auto-Detect" (Default) will be a better choice.

- Jeremy