Highlighted
Accepted Solution

EdgeSwitch 10X Advice Please

Hi folks,

I may have purchased the wrong switch but am looking for some advice. This is for my home network.

I've been using the ER-X for a couple of years (VPNs recently configured) and these forums (lurking mode) have been extremely helpful. I thought I'd add a managed switch to my network.

My needs at this point:

• Port mirroring to investigate what my (few) IOT type devices were doing
  • Learn a bit about VLANs and other features to possibly further isolate guest and IOT devices

Anyway, I picked the 10X since it appeared to do what I needed but didn't have features I didn't need.

But I didn't realize the 10X doesn't appear to use the same firmware as others and doesn't have the legacy GUI.

Questions:

1. Am I correct that there's no option of the legacy GUI? Any chance the 10X will take the 1.8 firmware?
  2. I see the mirror command via SSH but haven't figured out how to use it yet. The CLI is quite a bit different than the ER-X, which I also didn't expect. Will I be able to relatively easily turn on port mirroring when needed? (I've seen the warnings about not mixing the new GUI with the legacy or CLI. Not sure if that applies here.)
  3. If I return it, which switch would be recommended that has the full GUI but not a much higher price tag for my (currently) basic needs

Thanks much

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 446
Solutions: 364

Re: EdgeSwitch 10X Advice Please

Hi @flyingout, welcome to the UBNT forums!

To answer your questions:

1. That is correct. The ES-X devices use their own custom firmware and the new Web UI.

2. Yes, I added an example below that mirrors RX and TX traffic from Port 1 to Port2:

configure
mirror session 1 source interfaces gi1 both
mirror session 1 destination interface gi2
exit

show mirror session 1

Session 1 Configuration
Source RX Port    : gi1
Source TX Port    : gi1
Destination port  : gi2
Ingress State: disabled

3. The EdgeSwitch devices (not ES-X) can use the legacy UI. The smallest EdgeSwitch with the lowest port density is the ES-8-150W.

Hope that helps!

-Ben

Ben Pin - EdgeMAX Support

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 446
Solutions: 364

Hi @flyingout, welcome to the UBNT forums!

To answer your questions:

1. That is correct. The ES-X devices use their own custom firmware and the new Web UI.

2. Yes, I added an example below that mirrors RX and TX traffic from Port 1 to Port2:

configure
mirror session 1 source interfaces gi1 both
mirror session 1 destination interface gi2
exit

show mirror session 1

Session 1 Configuration
Source RX Port    : gi1
Source TX Port    : gi1
Destination port  : gi2
Ingress State: disabled

3. The EdgeSwitch devices (not ES-X) can use the legacy UI. The smallest EdgeSwitch with the lowest port density is the ES-8-150W.

Hope that helps!

-Ben

Ben Pin - EdgeMAX Support

It does help. Thank you.

I'll try the mirroring tomorrow, and then decide whether the switch will work for me (quite probably) or if I should trade up a notch.

Thanks again

Works like a charm. Very easy to turn on and off and mix and match ports.

I'm hoping for more CLI documentation. I'd rather not figure it out by trial and error. I made a small misconfiguration with my ER-X once and had to factory reset to get it back to health.

Thanks again Ben