Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Lost port channel after uprgade to 1.7.4

Hello

I have two EdgeSwitches  and port channel between them.  I just upgraded the 1st switch to 1.7.4.  After that I can no longer connect to the second switch and looks like my port channel is down.  

Any ideas how to resolve?

Thanks

Phil

(UBNT EdgeSwitch) #show port-channel all

Log.    Channel                     Adm.      Mbr    Device/       Port      Port
Intf    Name            Min  Link   Mode Type Ports  Timeout       Speed     Active
------- --------------- ---- ------ ---- ---- ------ ------------- --------- -------
3/1                     1    Down   En.  Dyn. 0/23   actor/long    Auto      False
                                                     partner/long
                                              0/24   actor/long    Auto      False
                                                     partner/long

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 303
Solutions: 239

Re: Lost port channel after uprgade to 1.7.4

The link aggregation default mode changed from static to dynamic (LACP) in the v1.7.4 firmware. I recommend to change the switch you still have access to, back to static mode:

enable

configure
interface 3/1
 port-channel static
 exit

When the LAG is restored, you can upgrade the second switch to v1.7.4 as well.

Ben

Ben Pin - EdgeMAX Support

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 1016
Solutions: 150

From which version did you upgrade?

What version is on your other ES?

Was your LAG dynamic or static previously?  You'll note that your switch that you upgraded is dynamic.  If the other switch is static you will need to change it to dynamic and your LAG should be restored.

If the other switch is static you could change this switch back to static, but then when you upgrade the other switch you'll need to restore it back to static too.

Unless you really need a static LAG it is better to leave it at dynamic.

Ubiquiti Employee

The link aggregation default mode changed from static to dynamic (LACP) in the v1.7.4 firmware. I recommend to change the switch you still have access to, back to static mode:

enable

configure
interface 3/1
 port-channel static
 exit

When the LAG is restored, you can upgrade the second switch to v1.7.4 as well.

Ben

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

Hi Ben 

That was awesome thank you.  Upgraded the second switch and then just had to "no port-channel static" on the 1st one to get to it again.

Out of interest why is recommended to leave in Dynamic mode?

Thanks

Phil

Ubiquiti Employee

No worries!

With static mode the LAG is basically forced up without any verification. This can lead to problems when you accidentally bring up a LAG using the wrong ports, or if you forget to remove a LAG while plugging in the ports to other switches.

With dynamic mode the LAG is negotiated using the LACP protocol which helps prevent misconfigurations. This is the main reason why we changed the mode in the v1.7.4 firmware.

Ben