Highlighted
Kudos: 47
Solutions: 9

Routing Vlans with 2 Switches

i am trying to route 4 vlans to 2 switches.  The vlans are 1,10,20,29.  I have them setup on an ER and connected to the first switch using ROAS config.  They all work fine on the first switch however I need to route 2 of the vlans to a 2nd switch.  Someone had posted a instruction pdf about a yr ago on how to do that but i can't find it.  Can anyone point me to it or just tell me how to make it work?  These are edgeswitches.

Re: Routing Vlans with 2 Switches

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-benpin @UBNT-Jordan Can someone help me with this?  Maybe it's not possible but here is what i did.  I created a bond0 and attached the 2 SFP ports on the ER-12.  I created a LAG using the SFP ports on an ES-XP and connected them.  I created 4 vlans on the bond - 1, 10, 20, 29.  I can connect all vlans on the ES-XP - the untagged is 1, and the tagged is 10,20,29.  Everything works fine there but i have added an ES-X and have tried various configs to access vlans 20, 29 on the ES-X and I cannot get it to work.

i created a 2nd LAG on the ES-XP and a LAG on the ES-X on 2 copper ports and connected the devices.  Made it a trunk on the ES-X and created the vlan 20,29.  I untagged vlan 1 and tagged 20, 29.  I have changed several setting and none of them work since I can't get a DHCP address on 20 or 29 from the router.  I'm confused. Confused5

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1125
Solutions: 232

@HanzS It sounds like this should work okay. If the first switch is working properly let's focus on the VLAN and LAG settings on the ES-10XP ports and ES-10X ports. Could you share some more details and possibly a screenshot of these?

@UBNT-Jordan Thanks for your reply.  Here is the setup on the XP but I can't login remotely to the X currently.

The LAG 1 is connected back to the router.  The LAG 2 is connected to a LAG 1 on the X (7,8).  Let's zero in on Vlan 20 and get that working and I can probably take it from there. So the setup in these pictures are making the X unavailable.  So if I only wanted to move Vlan 20 to the X, what would be the first move.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 4.04.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 4.00.50 PM.png

Kudos: 322
Solutions: 13

@UBNT-Jordan, This screenshot brings up a question.  If ports 7 and 8 were marked E on VLAN20 before the ports were marked as trunks, which takes precedence?  Would VLAN20 still be excluded?

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 445
Solutions: 361

Hi @HanzS,

Please have a look at these two articles for more information on how to create tagged/trunk ports and setting up a router-on-a-stick:

EdgeSwitch - Tagging and Untagging Port VLANs

EdgeRouter - Router on a Stick

-Ben

Ben Pin - EdgeMAX Support

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-benpin Thanks for the links, however I have read those several times.  The ROAS setup works between the router and the XP.  I can access all the vlans on that switch.  When I plug the ES-X into the ES-XP, I cannot access the vlans on the ES-X.  So I am going to  detail what i need and maybe you can give me some pointers.  I have tried to simplify the network.

Here is what I want to accomplish:

ER-12                                                         ES-XP                                                ES-X

bond0 - no address                  LAG1                                              LAG2       

bond0.10 - 10.10.10.1/24.      ---->-----    Vlan10  (T).   ------>----    Vlan10(T)

bond0.20 - 1010.20.1/24        ----->-----   Vlan 20 (T).   ------>---     Vlan20(T)   

|                                     |

Vlan10 (T)                       Vlan10(E)

Vlan20 (E)                        Vlan20(T)

So basically I want to use vlan10 on the ES-XP and vlan20 on the ES-X (for now to simplify).  Once I know how it works, i will add additional vlans.  I get access on ES-XP but not on ES-X.  I can't currently connect remotely to take pics. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 2

@HanzS wrote:

I have changed several setting and none of them work since I can't get a DHCP address on 20 or 29 from the router.  I'm confused. Confused5

Have you configured IP helper for DHCP on the switches? (It has to be configured on both).

[ Edited ]

@encorenyc Thanks for your help.  I thought about that however I'm under the impression that if there is a direct connection to the subnet from the router, then you don't need the IP helper enabled.  I can tell you that it works fine on the first switch without IP helper.  Maybe @UBNT-benpin or @UBNT-Jordan can chime in on that.

I think the problem is that i don't have the connection right between the 2 switches so that it's passing the vlans.  And i have tried every combination I can think of (Trunk, tagged, untagged) and can't get any data to pass through the 1st switch to the 2nd switch.  I'm stumped!!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 2

@HanzS wrote:

@encorenyc Thanks for your help.  I thought about that however I'm under the impression that if there is a direct connection to the subnet from the router, then you don't need the IP helper enabled.  I can tell you that it works fine on the first switch without IP helper.  Maybe @UBNT-benpin or @UBNT-Jordan can chime in on that.

I meant enabling ip helper on the both sides of LAG2.

[ Edited ]

@encorenyc Gotcha - Thanks.

@UBNT-benpin - this one is closest to what i need EdgeSwitch - Tagging and Untagging Port VLANs EXCEPT that it passes both VLANS to the ES-2 and I need to use some VLANS on ES-1.  If it included that in the scenario, I would be good.  

[ Edited ]

@encorenyc Do you know the cli command to do that?  I will continue to look but i haven't found it yet