Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Product Recommendation Connecting a few outbuildings to main building wirelessly

Hello, I am looking for some advice for connecting 2 - 3 outbuildings to our main building network wirelessly as running cables is unfortunately not an option. I've been trying to research the best product to use for this but am coming up confused.

As you can see in the picture below I have a pole mounted on the roof of the main building with a network cable ready to go and I would like to bridge to the buildings shown. Would mounting Loco M5s on the pole and on the outside of each building pointed at the central one work? Do people use a combination of nanostation and nanobeams for this type of situation? I feel like a nanobeam might be overkill with the distances im dealing with.

In the building on the bottom left there is only one computer that needs and will need to be connected however I was thinking about using an Airgateway LR with whatever device bridges the connection and the building in the top right I will probably use another UAP-AC-LR inside.

Thanks for any advice.

AP Map.jpg

Kudos: 37
Solutions: 13

Re: Product Recommendation Connecting a few outbuildings to main building wirelessly

Is there any local interference/noise in the 5ghz at this location? Only ask because even tho it's not always the best option, you can use a stock RocketM5 (stock antennas) on your central pole as an AP and use a few Nanobeam 16's as your stations for each building. Using the stock "omni" antennas on the rocket is more prone to interference especially since it cover 360 degrees. But being such a short distance all around if you dont have local noise its a very simple option. Otherwise I would use (2) Nanostations as APs on the pole (physically separated and channel separation) pointing to the direction of your buildings. As long as you keep the power down to minimum on the radios the Nanobeams and Nanostations would be perfect. What Is the degree of separation from the main pole in relation to the two buildings shown on the left? That will determine if a Nanostation will cover both correctly.
As far as an Access Point for the buildings it's all your choice. How much coverage needed and if you want to run Unifi or not. Looks like you have Unifi in the main building Already? (Green circles?) If that's the case then it's an easy setup if you choose another Unifi device. The Airgateway would work great as well but keep in mind you won't get all the perks of the Unifi controller on network settings and guest/client control and separation. But you can just use the same ssid and password on an airgateway to "mimick" the Unifi.
In rare cases where there is minimal local noise and the stations are close to the AP, we have used a Rocket with an omni of sorts to keep less APs on the main feed and where budget is an issue as opposed to multiple APs to cover all 360' etc. But always keep in mind a omnidirectional antenna will see noise from all directions.
The nanobeams and Nanostations are perfect for close hops and pretty much what any person will recommend for your situation. Nanobeams are better for stations as they have a tighter beamwidth. No need to use Nanostations unless you already have some in stock to use.

Re: Product Recommendation Connecting a few outbuildings to main building wirelessly

TSHS wrote:
Is there any local interference/noise in the 5ghz at this location? Only ask because even tho it's not always the best option, you can use a stock RocketM5 (stock antennas) on your central pole as an AP and use a few Nanobeam 16's as your stations for each building. Using the stock "omni" antennas on the rocket is more prone to interference especially since it cover 360 degrees. But being such a short distance all around if you dont have local noise its a very simple option. Otherwise I would use (2) Nanostations as APs on the pole (physically separated and channel separation) pointing to the direction of your buildings. As long as you keep the power down to minimum on the radios the Nanobeams and Nanostations would be perfect. What Is the degree of separation from the main pole in relation to the two buildings shown on the left? That will determine if a Nanostation will cover both correctly.
As far as an Access Point for the buildings it's all your choice. How much coverage needed and if you want to run Unifi or not. Looks like you have Unifi in the main building Already? (Green circles?) If that's the case then it's an easy setup if you choose another Unifi device. The Airgateway would work great as well but keep in mind you won't get all the perks of the Unifi controller on network settings and guest/client control and separation. But you can just use the same ssid and password on an airgateway to "mimick" the Unifi.
In rare cases where there is minimal local noise and the stations are close to the AP, we have used a Rocket with an omni of sorts to keep less APs on the main feed and where budget is an issue as opposed to multiple APs to cover all 360' etc. But always keep in mind a omnidirectional antenna will see noise from all directions.
The nanobeams and Nanostations are perfect for close hops and pretty much what any person will recommend for your situation. Nanobeams are better for stations as they have a tighter beamwidth. No need to use Nanostations unless you already have some in stock to use.

Thanks for the info, I am reconsidering some things. The building on the top right may be able to get a cable run to it from a building beside it that is not drawn so we can forget abou it for now. With that in mind am I able to use a single nanostation on the pole of the main building and point more than one nano beam at it? as long as they are in front of it? The degree of seperation could be as little as 15-20 degrees or as big as 45 degrees depending on which side of the building I mount the nanobeam to on the top left building.

My main concern right now is connecting the building on the bottom left. The building on the top left has their own connection to the internet via the local isp but we may want to bring them in to the fold in the future as the school is considering investing in uap-ac-edu's and we would want all buildings to be able to hear anouncements and such.

Thanks for the tip on the airgateway. I think I'll go with a uap-ac-lr instead. They have been working quite nicely for us so far.

TSHS wrote:

So this is a visuallisation of what I am thinking now.

AP Map New.jpg

Kudos: 37
Solutions: 13

Yes a Nanostation on the mast and a Nanobeam 16 on each biulding will work well especially the close distance. Unifi is a better option I agree. These radios are dirt cheap as well.