Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Antenna angle

If I am using a Rocket with a 45 or 60 angle antenna.  Why is the link still appears green if I put a station on the opposite direction of where the antenna is pointing or if I put a station outside the angle "coverage"

AntennaBeamAngle.GIF
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 109
Solutions: 23

Re: Antenna angle

The quality of the link is not related to the coverage. The coverage is there only for a visual suggestion where you could put stations with appropriate qualities.

Highlighted

So as long as the station are at the right distance/height/line of sight (no matter what direction they are pointing) the link is going to show the appropiate quality as if they were facing each other?
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 109
Solutions: 23

@reney Yes, you are right.

Kudos: 112
Solutions: 4

@UBNT-Lubomir wrote:

@reney Yes, you are right.

I sense a feature request ... maybe it shouldn't and should require and depend on the LOS of a facing Station ? Man Very Happy
Veteran Member
Kudos: 924
Solutions: 28

umm.. with the AirLink UCRM integration it's pretty important for link not to give any false results like that

please make UNMS 1.0 amazing with link and accurate client visabilty to sites

pretty pretty, please Man Happy 

Kudos: 406
Solutions: 14

I realize it's a lot of work to fix, but one glaring flaw in AirLink has always been that it doesn't take the antenna radiation pattern into account.  Right now the results are calculated as if you are aiming the AP antenna directly at the CPE you have selected, because they are just using the ideal numbers.  For almost all Ubiquiti antennas, they do have signal plots that could be encoded.  Combine those plots with antenna heading and elevation angle, and we would get far more accurate results for PtMP link calculations.

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.
Established Member
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 58

In defence of UBNT, they could get some bad rap if people are getting results different than link suggests because they forgot to update link after tweaking/replacing an AP.  I know that all to often I find missing data in our in house channel usage charting.  It usually comes down to me going straight home from a tower job and not remembering to add the new AP in.

The right way of course would be to add heading and tilt to every AP but I don't feel like updating all our AP's just to get that feature. Nor do we have the cash to do that.

Kudos: 406
Solutions: 14

@Trendal wrote:

In defence of UBNT, they could get some bad rap if people are getting results different than link suggests because they forgot to update link after tweaking/replacing an AP.  I know that all to often I find missing data in our in house channel usage charting.  It usually comes down to me going straight home from a tower job and not remembering to add the new AP in.

The right way of course would be to add heading and tilt to every AP but I don't feel like updating all our AP's just to get that feature. Nor do we have the cash to do that.

I completely understand.  Occasionally a customer gets outlandish download speeds because I was in a hurry and didn't get their download speed set in the core shaper.  I can defiantly see failing to updates antennas, headings, or elevations causing inaccurate data.  But that is on us.  Right now, the signal strength can be off 6dB from airlink's calculations because the client is near the edge of a 120° antenna pattern instead of the middle.  That is enough to warrant using the next size or two up of CPE Antenna.  Bring Elevation into it and you can be off even more.  So you can't trust AirLink's calculator on PtMP to tell you what size CPE to take, it's only a minimum.  And right now, there is nothing you can do to make the result more accurate.  My request would mean that we could make the calculations more accurate by being attentive to the changes we make.

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.