Highlighted
Kudos: 3
Accepted Solution

UAP--AC-LR - One Device/Client Won't Connect

I just purchased my first Ubiquiti product – the UAP-AC-LR. I’ve been able to get all but one device/client to connect to the new WiFi. I’ve tried countless times over the last two days since setting the AP up – password definitely is correct.

I actually got this AP specifically to enhance the signal to this device/client and the AP WiFi signal is now in the “good” and “excellent” whereas before with my cable company router the best I got was “poor.” But, I can’t get the AP to connect to the device/client and ironically, the old router with the poor signal still connects fine - the connection occasionally goes out which is why I got the more powerful AP.

I’ve rebooted the device/client (a Hayward Omnilogic swimming pool automation system), rebooted the AP, tried changing the password for the AP WiFi to something else, etc. and just can’t get it to connect. Fifteen or so other devices (iphones, ipads, Amazon Echo and Firestick, Harmony remote, etc) all connected quickly and easily - no problems.

Sorry to bring an entry level user question to the forum, but I’m stuck. This was supposed to be the first of many Ubiquiti products I purchased within the next month (installing G3 cameras, NVR, etc.). Can a consumer level person handle these enterprise level products?

Any suggestions on what to try to get the AP to connect to this holdout device/client would be appreciated!

Chris

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 5117
Solutions: 1714

Re: UAP--AC-LR - One Device/Client Won't Connect

Have you tried creating any SSIDs on the Unifi AP *without* spaces in them, and connecting to that?
I did it my way .... Man Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

What kind of wireless adapter does this pool automation system have? What 802.11 protocols can it use?

Is this an 802.11b only device? Enable Legacy support under Settings, Wireless Networks, then click on the Pencil icon in the upper right to bring up Edit WLAN Group, check the box to Enable legacy device support.

I will look into each of you questions when I get home tonight but from the online manual it say b/g/n:

IMG_0237.PNG
SuperUser

Can you show us the configuration pages for that HLWLAN? In your controller, how do you configure the wireless adapter for SSID, password, etc?

I will take pictures of the current configuration screens on the unit tonight. In the meantime here are a few more pages from the manual on configuration. Also below is a picture I took at some point last night while trying to figure things out it is from the network page (note, I did not change anything here because it was beyond me). The WiFi Bridge configuration page is pretty basic - lists available SSID's, you select one and enter the password - see last pic.

IMG_0240.PNG
IMG_0241.PNG
IMG_0242.PNG
IMG_5369.JPG
IMG_5349.JPG
SuperUser

Which channels are those 3 networks on? What channel widths? Is KY5R6 also one of your networks?

Here's where the terminology is going to get a little tougher for me.  But, here is what I know at the moment:

• KY5R6 is my nextdoor neighbor's house. 
  • Lawtyger UniFi is the new WiFi I created after getting the UniFi AP. 
  • Lawtyger is the WiFi that was setup by Brighthouse cable 2 years ago on the Arris router they provided me which did both 2.4 and 5 ghz.  I had turned Lawtyger WiFi (2.4 ghz) off (as well as the 5 ghz WiFi that was called Lawtyger1) when trying to connect the new Lawtyger UniFi.  The only reason Lawtyger is showing up in this picture is because I had to turn it back on so I could connect to it and remotely control the pool automation).

Taking my neighbor's KY5R6 out of the picture, I don't know what channel or channel widths Lawtyger UniFi or Lawtyger are on.  I assume this information can be found in the UniFi Controller browser and the Arris router settings.  I will look when I get home.

Also, it was suggested that I try to setup a new SSID on the UniFi AP but leave the security open and see if the Hayward Omnilogic client connects in that situation.  I will be trying that when I get home as well.

SuperUser

Yes, that's a good thing to try: a connection without security. I was trying to make sure you're not overlapping 2.4GHz channels.

Channels 1, 6 or 11, 20MHz channel width are the three non-overlapping 2.4GHz channels you can use.

[ Edited ]

Tried connecting numerous times to a new "open" SSID I created - no luck.  While I was out there, tried connecting to the UniFi AP encrypted that I haven't been able to connect to - still no luck.  I turned the 2.4 ghz WiFi from my cable router back on, found the SSID and it connected.  The only positive to this whole thing is that I can apparently easiliy connect to the WiFi from the cable router albeit it the poor signal was causing occassional control issues.

I also have looked at the channels:

• The UniFi AP says under channel - 1(ng), 149(ac)
  • The cable router channel is channel 11.

I did not see where the UniFi Controller said the channel width and this is something I am not familar with at all.

I'd note that during this entire process of testing one time the Hayward Omnilogic actually said "Can't find other SSID's" but I refreshed the list the the SSID's available showed up.  And as mentioned above, I have since connected back to my poor signal cable router Wireless for the time being.

Edit - Another positive is I am learning a lot and understanding things a bit better at least - even if I can't fix this issue yet.

SuperUser

OK, try the Legacy enable for your Unifi AP.

" Enable Legacy support under Settings, Wireless Networks, then click on the Pencil icon in the upper right to bring up Edit WLAN Group, check the box to Enable legacy device support."
SuperUser

To check the channel width, click on the UAP to bring up the Properties window, then Configuration, then Radios.

Make sure it's set to HT20 on the 2.4GHz radio.

[ Edited ]

Enabled Legacy support - no luck on the UniFi open or encrypted WiFi.

Channel with under configuration for radios says:

• 2G - Auto 20HT
  • 5G - Auto 40VHT

Also created a third new open WiFI with an entirely different name "UniFi Test Network."  No luck connecting to that open WiFi either.

During all of the above I had turned off the Arris cable WiFi.  Of course, once I turn it back on and try to connect to the Arris 2.4 the Hayward Omnilogic connects, lol.

IMG_5383.JPG
SuperUser

Have you tried creating any SSIDs on the Unifi AP *without* spaces in them, and connecting to that?

[ Edited ]

I have not but when I get home at 4:00 pm eastern time today I will create an open SSID called test123.  

I will also change the name of the UniFi AP SSID with encryption that all my other wireless devices easily connected to and I will call it Lawtyger which is the same name of the SSID on the cable router that the Hayward Omnilogic does connect to.  And I will use the same password which I have actually been doing anyway - it has no spaces by the way.  Of course, before trying to connect to the UniFi AP SSID I will turn off the cable router wireless so it can't connect to the cable router SSID with the same name.  

I am am also going to try to get the password for my neighbor's WiFi SSID that is showing up - KY5R6 - to see if the Hayward Omnilogic will connect to that completely seperate WiFi network.  Unfortunately, he will not be home until Saturday.

i really appreciate all the suggestions of what to try.  If you can think of anything else at this moment I should try please let me know since by the time I get to try and report back about the "no spaces" name solution it will be late in the day.  Hoping to get you that 881st "solution."  LOL

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add the pic below which I found - it related to connecting the Hayward Omnilogic to an Apple Airport Express.  The "simultaneous dual band network" caught my eye even though the person was just throwing this idea out there.  Is the UniFi AP simultaneous (I assume yes) and if so is there anyway totroubleshoot this problem from this angle to rule this out?

My current Arris cable router is both 2.4 and 5 ghz and in the settings I can turn each wireless band off individually.  I know the Hayward Omnilogic is connected to my cable router via the 2.4 ghz band because I saw the IP in the client list (and I also currently have the 5 ghz band of the cable router turned off).

IMG_0247.PNG
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't worry about that; your device can only see 2.4GHz, I believe. You could always try changing the SSID on the 5GHz radio, or turning off the 5GHz radio to test. Both are achieved through Overrides.

override1.PNG

[ Edited ]

Positive ending to this issue.  The problem WAS that the SSID could not have a space in it.  Made the SSID one word and all CAPS and connected immediately.  Sounds like it was an issue for the particular version of software my Hayward Omnilogic system is on.

I really appreciate your help.  Glad it is fixed even if the fix seems simple and took some time.  I learned a lot more about network terms which will hopefully help me when I get the Ubiquiti G3 cameras.

There is a forum for help like this one for the cameras hopefully!