Kudos: 91
Solutions: 5

Does the cloud firmware version support multiple gateways at the same site?

I'm currently running 3 arrays as follows at a single location:

Gateway 1 - 56 roof mounted panels

Gateway 2 - 24 gound mounted panels

Gateway 3 - 48 ground mounted panels

I'm running the latest "local" firmware (1.0.7) and have the MAC's for the inverters entered into the respective gateways.  This setup is working ok (except for an unusually high inverter failure rate, although it did slow down during the winter months).

At any rate, I'm thinking about switching back to the cloud based firmware (0.9.41) and have some questions related to that as follows:

1.  I have all my inverter MAC addresses in a spreadsheet by array and location within each array.  How can I import these into "the cloud"?

2. Can "the cloud" support 3 gateways at a single site?  I can't use a single gateway since it cannot handle the traffic from 128 inverters.  Besides, the signals from a lot of inverters would be too weak to reach a single gateway.

I have a test gateway and I "downgraded" the firmware from 1.0.7 to 0.9.41.  After the reboot, I lost the web interface completely.  I can ssh into the gateway just fine, but pointing a browser to the gateway IP times out.  I have tried power cycling it a couple of times to no avail.  Is there a command I can issue from the ssh session to start httpd?

My main motivation for switching back to the cloud based solution is so that I don't have to take manual readings each month to send to SRECTrade.  I would also be nice to have a single dashboard showing how my arrays are doing and know when it is time to get out the ladder to replace failed inverters.  Speaking of which, will there ever be a newer design inverter that is not so prone to the C17 burnout issue, or is Sunmax strictly in "life support" mode at this point with no resources allocated to product/feature enhancements?

How many panels/inverters have you guys sold since introducing SunMAX a few years back?  It must be in the 10,000s, right?  I would think there would be a client base large enough to justify at least some ongoing development.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 59

Re: Does the cloud firmware version support multiple gateways at the same site?

[ Edited ]

@pclausen:

1. Please send me a PM, so we can work on a QR code list to make the installation faster, and you can have all your codes handy in one place as you did with the spreedsheet. I have helped other users on this in the past.

2. Yes one cloud registered site can support more than one solargateway.

cc: @Andrejs

Regards,

UBNT-Carlos 

Ubiquiti Employee

@pclausen  About 3: UI lost when downgrading:

As for the UI issue, there's a configuration incompatibility when downgrading from the 1.x to the 0.9.x version.  

To get around that, please SSH into the device and run:

rm /mnt/overlayfs/NOT_YOUR_ROOT_FILE_SYSTEM

and then reboot.  This is get rid of all non-volatile system configuration (but not site configuration).  After a reboot, the 0.9.X version will work correctly.

cc: @Andrejs

Thank you

UBNT-Carlos

Kudos: 91

[ Edited ]

Thanks Carlos.  Just sent you a pm with all the details about my setup.

Also, sending that command to the gateway from a ssh session restored the web server on it.  Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee

Thank you pclausen.

Please check email for the images.

Regards,

UBNT-Carlos