Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 652
Solutions: 19

EdgePower as Charge Controller!?

I was reading this

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX-Stories/New-EdgePoint-EdgePower-combo-makes-for-an-easy-plug-t...

and looks like the EdgePower can also be used as a charge controller 

but says nothing about that in the ubnt store

https://store.ubnt.com/collections/routing-switching/products/edgepower-54v-150w

So what is going on the dose the EdgePower charge the batterers and will it work in a solar setup 

Kudos: 87
Solutions: 7

Re: EdgePower as Charge Controller!?

yeah, I do this at a bunch of my sites.  So here's the deal, if you setup with 2 DC/DC modules, you can do really well with a primary/backup battery array in a full offgrid setup. (Note on on-grid at bottom)

Something will have to charge the primary array, in my scenario I have a solar controller (Use an Outback FM60) that charges the primary battery array (I typically use 4 100ah 12v batteries run in a 100ah @ 48v).  For my backup/secondary array I have it connected to the second DC port on the Edgepower and I enable charging.  It's slow (7w I think) but I rarely have to fail over to my backup array).

In this setup I have my main array that charges with the sun and also makes sure my secondary array is full.  (I usually run 1/2 of my main battery array as a secondary, so most are 24v @ 100ah).  In a situation where the weather is super nasty and it actually exhausts the primary array, it'll kick over automatically and start drawing from the secondary.  Soon as the primary starts filling back up the EdgePower will charge the secondary back up.

It's a cool setup if you have your primary setup right.  The charge is slow for the secondary, but in my scenario I'd rather not have panels/controllers specifically for my backup array.  I also like having the backup there for battery maintenance or as the final safe guard before I grab the generator and run up to the site to fill up the main array by hand.  If I needed to I could manually charge both arrays but usually my solar is enough to get that done if I clear heavy snow off the panels.

This concept works perfectly with an AC/DC module too.  At my remote sites with AC power, I have the primary pulling from AC then 100-200AH of batteries @ 48v going out the DC/DC.  It's set to failover to this and set to charge.  

I will say, if you're running as much battery as I am and regularly get extended outages, the charge time is going to be problematic.  My sites may glitch on AC power once a year for a minute at a time, and if the transformer gets taken out may be offline for 3-4 days then stable.  For mine I can give it 2 weeks to charge the array back up without issue when necessary.

You are limited to 150w of max power in this scenario, but as long as that fits your use case, it's a nice cheap way to do monitored battery backup with an unlimited potential capacity.