Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

SuperUser
Kudos: 4214
Solutions: 1501

Re: Free Online Training Course

bill.png

Occam was Right; more than two blades is just silly
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 33

[ Edited ]

Hi Manjula,

This is the first I've ever heard of anyone having a problem with that image. I'm directly attaching it to his message, please let me know if that works, otherwise I can convert it to another format if needed.

(Edit: ok, saw I was slow to respond and attach the image, should have looked at the newest page first. Thanks for helping out, flipper!)

whDQuH.png

The video training says that the Solar Gateway can only handle up to 16 microinverters, but if I design a system with more than 16 panels, the BOM still only lists 1 SG.  Was the limitation overcome recently? or is the BOM wrong?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

@berkheimert

I think the video means that you could only install 16 inverters/panels on a branch connecting to the grid. If you like to install 24 pieces of inverters in your system, it has to be 16 + 8 on two branches or 12 + 12 on two branches. Because the current limit is 20 A for the Y cable and you will need 20% buffer for the safety. (20 x 0.8 = 16 Amp)

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 98
Solutions: 16

You can have 15 microinverters connected together with a single end run.  Beyond that you have to use multiple end runs and break things up into seperate wire strings.  The limit is due to the maximum of 16A you can have on the 12 AWG wire in the y cables.  The reason for 15 vs 16 is each microinverter is capable of slightly over 1.0A each, so you need to stick with 15 to keep under the 16A limit.

In regards to the Solar Gateway its mainly just limited by its communications range to the microinverters vs the number or panels.  Generally speaking on a typical house 1 Solar Gateway is all you will need.  If there is a huge seperation between panels or something between them blocking communications then yes you could need 2.  My suggestion would be to always buy 1 put it in the middle somewhere and try it first.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 33

To add to the communication/range: The gateway shows the RSSI for each inverter, and staying in the -80's would be best, but it'll work into the low -90's.  You can find the RSSI for each inverter once you've added them to the site layout, and looking at the main page and expand the arrays (I only have 1 inverter here, but the data is shown at least):

array_expanded.PNG