Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

New panels

Hi,

I'm considering to choose sunmax as my solarsystem, but was wondering if ubiquiti will produce panels with more watt than 260.
There are panels fron other manufacterers that produce over 300w.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 22

Re: New panels

Hi,

at the moment there are no plans to introduce new panel production.

BR,

Andrejs

SuperUser
Kudos: 8531
Solutions: 539
Contributions: 1

Part of the issue is that the MicroInverters are 250 watt, so a higher power panel won't do any good, and could actually damage them...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

eejimm wrote:

Part of the issue is that the MicroInverters are 250 watt, so a higher power panel won't do any good, and could actually damage them...

Jim

If you give a 250 watt inverter 2 solar panels in parallel, so 500 watt of input, it won't be damaged.

It will take only the 250watt + about 10% extra of power and than it will stop.

Same with string inverters btw. you can't "over feed" them

Ancient Member
Kudos: 9074
Solutions: 1388

SuperUser
Kudos: 8531
Solutions: 539
Contributions: 1

fromport wrote:

eejimm wrote:

Jim

If you give a 250 watt inverter 2 solar panels in parallel, so 500 watt of input, it won't be damaged.

It will take only the 250watt + about 10% extra of power and than it will stop.

Same with string inverters btw. you can't "over feed" them

Maybe, but...

This also gets into the max open circuot voltage rating, and the temperature curve of the panels - it is possible to overdrive the MI's - UBNT has already said several times to not use larger panels than the  rated ones for the MI's.   Plus many of the larger panels are not 60 but 72 cell units, which will be way overvoltage for the MIs.

Nottom line is , unless you really are an expert and know exactly what you are doing, keep to the rated 255-260 w panels.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 5

eejimm wrote:

Maybe, but...

This also gets into the max open circuot voltage rating, and the temperature curve of the panels - it is possible to overdrive the MI's - UBNT has already said several times to not use larger panels than the  rated ones for the MI's.   Plus many of the larger panels are not 60 but 72 cell units, which will be way overvoltage for the MIs.

Nottom line is , unless you really are an expert and know exactly what you are doing, keep to the rated 255-260 w panels.

Jim

I agree that Voc etc should be looked after with a knowledgeble eye.

I sometimes hookup an (enphase) inverter to my 24 volt li-ion battery setup to compensate for my usage after the sun is set and you simply can't over feed it if the voltage is within the operating specs.

I have a bunch of phonosolar AC panels which come as a combination of 260 watt panels with 215 watt enphase inverters.