Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 33

Re: SunMAX AU

@FreenetAntennas has it right: we're working hard to get our EU/Aus certs done, as well as software features for operation on all of the different grid requirements.  I'm not sure of a specific timeframe, but we're doing some limited testing with distributors at this point, so shouldn't be too much longer.  Main thing will be getting inventory ready and producing enough units for stock at each distributor!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 249
Solutions: 33

@FreenetAntennas has it right: we're working hard to get our EU/Aus certs done, as well as software features for operation on all of the different grid requirements.  I'm not sure of a specific timeframe, but we're doing some limited testing with distributors at this point, so shouldn't be too much longer.  Main thing will be getting inventory ready and producing enough units for stock at each distributor!

We'll definitely annouce when the product is getting to distributors in each region.

@UBNT_Sean

i'm holding off my solar panel install because i am waiting for this to be available in aus. so hopefully it will be soon.

@FreenetAntennas

it would have been nice if you guys were to sell in smaller quantities Man Happy

since i am in perth as well.

Any update?
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

I would also like an update on Australia availability. I'm very interested in using Sunmax in a new property in the near future.

Kudos: 77
Solutions: 3

We need to get sun max passed through AU regulation and testing for these products to be approved for the solar accreditation listing ready for deployment

Oh ok, roughly how long is that process take?

Presumably the European specification will ultimately be applicable here, but certification for the Australia/NZ market may be a long time away.

Australian and New Zealand certification is covered by AS/NZS 5033.  As such, the IEC certifications for EU and AU are similar, but not identical.

If you're interested, you can read more here.

we should try and start the certification process ourselves.

obviously it will be the best option moving forward for our sunburst land, what better place to adopt the best solar energy in the world, we have alot of sun, but not very up to date standards. we need to commence latest technologies to our solar accreditation equipment list

we have alot of SUN ready to MAX in AU

Wow, thanks for that ZipVault. Very informative!

One last question. Do the micro inverters REQUIRE the ubiquiti solar panels or can you mix and match them with other panel manufacturers? I am not too familiar with the standards/practices involving solar.

Because I was thinking (worst case scenario) if the accreditation doesn't go through I can at least obtain some of the EU version units and have a solar installer use panels from here.

Thanks!

SuperUser
Kudos: 9941
Solutions: 604
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

As long as they are 60 cell panels not over 255 watts they should be fine.   As to the grid-tie certification I believe that's what's missing right now so I don't think using EU inverters would pass muster...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":Terminology is important, but good information moreso IMHO ;-)": (me. actually ;-)

Excellent, thanks Jim!

Do you mean the grid-tie wouldn't pass legally (cannot have it legally installed yet) or wouldn't work with our infrastructure at all?

Sorry about all the questions, I also asked for the process of the accreditation from the previous link, hopefully it's not too involved.

Thanks everyone.

[ Edited ]

If @Ubiquiti would like to send me their sunmax gear i can submit a testing report and will Make it my priority to gain AU solar accreditation, for their products.

As far as im concerned their product range exceed other manufacturers build quality. And i can assist in speeding up the process.

So all Austrlaian households have the choice to use the latest tech.

SuperUser
Kudos: 9941
Solutions: 604
Contributions: 1

HoochieMamma wrote:

Excellent, thanks Jim!

Do you mean the grid-tie wouldn't pass legally (cannot have it legally installed yet) or wouldn't work with our infrastructure at all?

Sorry about all the questions, I also asked for the process of the accreditation from the previous link, hopefully it's not too involved.

Thanks everyone.

I'm just saying that the inverters are probably the thing that needs to be approved and haven't been yet.   It will work with 50 or 60 Hz at a fairly wide range of voltages around 240V, so there should be no problem there.   IIRC you may all use 3-phase power (or is that New Zeland)?   So that makes things more difficult - you need to have 3 separate sets of panels to do 3 phase - the inverters are all single phase,

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":Terminology is important, but good information moreso IMHO ;-)": (me. actually ;-)

[ Edited ]

I will be also very happy to help with this, ZipVault. I will pay for the equipment if need be.

Oh perfect!

I believe it's household dependent on if it's either single or 3.

Thanks for the quick responces, Jim.

sunmax webinar

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

@HoochieMamma

The content of AU accreditation is exactly like EU regulation, and UBNT has got all EU license already. So the inverter and panel would just work well in Australia at 45 ~ 55Hz range. The thing we didn't do is spending a big amount of money and sending the products to an accreditation institution in Australia to get the listing. You could check the listing here: http://www.solaraccreditation.com.au/products.html

Sorry about that, UBNT doesn't have a market plan in Australia right now. But I am sure once UBNT plan starting the market in Australia, it would be really fast to get things ready.

Fantastic. Looks like I'll get some EU version micro inverters when I need to get my solar array up and running! Thanks for the info. You should start planning coming to Australia as a market player. We are not a small nation and your products are great.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

@HoochieMamma

Here is the link, https://www.ubnt.com/distributors/, where you could find an ubiquiti distributor. I guess you could get the products through them if you want some EU units to play. 

Excellent, thanks! I'll get the micro-inverters and the gateway then and deal with the panels and installation on my end. Can't wait for a top to bottom ubiquiti house!