Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

Re: SunMax Dead?

UBNT-Carlos wrote:

@patchski

The cloud service has been restablished.

If you prefer it over the local solution please feel free to re-install it on your solar gateway.

Since you did not erase your gw from your original cloud-site settings, it will recognize it without

needing to re-add all inverters one by one.

Cloud-based SolarGateway FW:

https://www.ubnt.com/download/sunmax/default/default/sunmax-solar-gateway-firmware-v0941

And please report to us on your connection being restablished once you log in your site successfully, 

so we know everything is fine in your site, or help you on the debugging process in case it still has issues.

If in the other hand, you feel the local gw works ok for you, please ignore this message.

Sincere apologies for all the inconveniences,

Regards,

UBNT-Carlos

So firmware v1.0.5 and v1.0.7 do not report to the cloud server?

Kudos: 7

sundesign.ubnt.com/monitoring

Doesn't work.  Just redirects to the sunmax page?

Kudos: 51
Solutions: 16

[ Edited ]

@patchskiYou shouldn't need seismic calcs and stamp for low to-grade mounts, at least in California.  Electricians build them and similar "structures" from UniStrut all the time without structural (sometimes with humorous results I will admit).

Kudos: 1

I think that some states do, and others don't .

I've seen some of the "structures" that you mention too. Some are incredible.

Personally, I use an affordable, approved system. Its not worth the extra few hundred dollars (even less when you factor in the incentives) to have a legit paper trail to follow.

That way, When Harvey or Irma - or even less comes around, The owner has something to fall back on.

And it makes me sleep better at night.

Tripping over dollars ro save quarters doesn't make sense to me. The real deal only costs about a grand for 20 panels.

JOe

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 5

RebusCom wrote:

UBNT-Carlos wrote:

@patchski

The cloud service has been restablished.

If you prefer it over the local solution please feel free to re-install it on your solar gateway.

Since you did not erase your gw from your original cloud-site settings, it will recognize it without

needing to re-add all inverters one by one.

Cloud-based SolarGateway FW:

https://www.ubnt.com/download/sunmax/default/default/sunmax-solar-gateway-firmware-v0941

So firmware v1.0.5 and v1.0.7 do not report to the cloud server?

@RebusCom

Solar gateway firmware v1.0.5 and v1.0.7 do not report to the cloud server, they are intented to report locally only and do not support cloud connection.  

Regards, Carlos

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

wkmullins wrote:

sundesign.ubnt.com/monitoring

Doesn't work.  Just redirects to the sunmax page?

@wkmullins
The cloud monitoring service at sunmax.ubnt.com is restablished. 

sundesign.ubnt.com is still down undergoing revision. Will update on any progress about it.

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Carlos

@UBNT-Carlos Hello Carlos,

I used to work with UBNT and after leaving I bought some Sunmax products and have started to do my install. I was wondering once I get it all setup and go to do the solar gateway setup and monitoring, will there be somthing there for me to use. I for some reason cannot get into the Sunmax Install app. Is there any way to bring the install up on the computer once the ethernet cord is connected to my home network. I want to make sure everything is working and I do not have any issues. If there is any way to set this up without the app please advise what I need to do.

Ubiquiti Employee

@intimidator93:

Our team is currently working on fixing the android install app backend connection problem detected this week.

If you are in a hurry and want to check your system, I will suggest you to use the local monitoring system which you will need to update to the solar gateway. With it you can add your inverters manually, whereas the cloud-based monitoring needs the app to whitelist inverters to your site.

Here is the link for local monitoring:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/SunMAX/Local-SolarGateway-Change-Log-and-download-link/m-p/2059902#M28...

I will keep you posted on the android app status, once it gets solved so you can whitelist your inverters to the cloud service.

Regards,

UBNT-Carlos

Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

UBNT-Carlos wrote:

@intimidator93:

Our team is currently working on fixing the android install app backend connection problem detected this week.

If you are in a hurry and want to check your system, I will suggest you to use the local monitoring system which you will need to update to the solar gateway. With it you can add your inverters manually, whereas the cloud-based monitoring needs the app to whitelist inverters to your site.

Here is the link for local monitoring:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/SunMAX/Local-SolarGateway-Change-Log-and-download-link/m-p/2059902#M28...

I will keep you posted on the android app status, once it gets solved so you can whitelist your inverters to the cloud service.

Regards,

UBNT-Carlos

That is the link to the firmware download (the easy part), but how to actually monitor locally vs cloud is not referenced and is the more difficult part to actually find mentioned. It might be helpful to include that information.

Kudos: 2

I really feel for all of you that bought SunMax products. I was incredibly close to going with sunmax myself about five months ago (I ultimately went went SolarEdge). The way UBNT is throwing SunMax into the trash makes me very nervous about trying anything they offer outside of their core wireless and switching products. At this point I'd even be wary of their security camera line.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1017
Solutions: 11

Hi All - SunMax does have new leadership now and should start improving.  We will continue to supply updates

Kudos: 80

[ Edited ]

Interesting thread.  I purchased and installed 80 panels in December of last year.  56 went on a shop building roof, and the remaining 24 were mounted on an IronRidge ground mount using locally sourced 3" metal pipes.

To date I have had 22 inverter failures or 27.5%.  I had excellent experience with with Sean (before he left) and Carlos and CJ and all my failed inverters were replaced and I have extras to deal with any future failure as well.

All my inverters failed in the same manner.  The caps in the C17 region burn out due to stress on those components during the manufacturing.

I have 2 gateways.  One on the 54 panel array on the shop roof, and one on the 24 panel ground mount located about 50 feet away.  A single gateway was not able to handle all 80 panels.

I'm running firmware 1.07 as the 0.9x firmware did not allow me to split the panels between 2 gateways at the same site.  I too am waiting for cloud service to be re-established, but it needs to work with the 1.x firmware as well, or its successor.

Fingers crossed that things will improve with the SunMAX line over the coming months.

Is this forum dead or what?

Where does ubnt source their panels from these days?  All 80 of mine were made by the Canadian firm Celestica, which closed down production Q1 this year.

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2017/03/10/plunging-panel-prices-force-celestica-from-market/

Kudos: 2

My god, your an ass... I have had one non working UBNT product and they sent out an RMA before they received my unit.. In your terms Ubiquiti is a company that sticks.... They are on the forefront of what they do.... They are always aspiring to make something new.. And from what I have seen they have the best customer support base than I have ever seen... Your not talking to Radgi in India... Your talking to somebody in the states and actually knows what they are dealing with and actually know network protocols and how they're products function.

Lol, ok...

I never said that I had an issue with their customer support.  In fact I have been very pleased with it.  I have a lot of their other products and am very pleased with them and they have been rock solid for years.  UniFi, airMAX, etc.

However, their current generation of SunMAX micro inverters are prone to failure due to a manifacturing issue.  I'm up to a 31% failure rate now (25 have now failed), and the roof mounted ones are a real pain to replace, so I don't think I'm an ass for expressing my frustration here.  It takes me between 0.5 and 3 hours to replace a roof mounted inverter depending on where in the array it is located.

Yes, UBNT has been great to deal with and have sent me replacement micro inverters ahead of time, but it doesn't change the fact that they are a pain to replace and that a 30%+ failure rate is unacceptable in my book.  I have also had one of the replacement inverters fail.

I actually spent some time with the developers tweaking the firmware to address some sensitivuty issues I had with the power grid in my area.  They even shipped me some very expensive test equipment to monitor my power grid to help resolve the issues I had with my inverters cutting out.

So yes, overall I'm very happy with UBNT, but I have been frustrated with the reliability of their micro inverters and I hope they will come out with inverters using a new manufacturing process that addresses the reliability issues I have seen.

[ Edited ]

So I spent the better part of the morning replacing yet another dead inverter in the middle of my roof array.  This one was from a batch of replacements inverters I received a couple of months ago.  This one:

Failed_Inverter_01.JPG

Note the date code is 1552G.

And what the back side of the circuit board looks like:

Failed_Inverter-02.JPG

So exact same failure as my original inverters which all had 1543G date codes.

Here's the new one I spend 2 hours putting in (had to pull 3 other panels to get to it as well as 3 skirts):

New_Inverter_01.JPG 

I then updated the MAC address for this inverter in the panel, and it failed to adopt...

New_Inverter_02.JPG

I had one other 1552G date inverter do this on me already, but it was on my ground array, so very easy to just replace it again, which resolved the issue.  This being a roof mounted panel, I really don't want to go through this again with no guarantee that it will work this time...

What do I need to setup a "bench" to update the firmware on these BEFORE deploying them on my arrays?  I have a spare gateway already and I can rig up to feed it 240V no problem.  But what about the DC side.  Can I just feed it say 30V?  What does the current need to be?

This is beyond frustrating...

SuperUser
Kudos: 8550
Solutions: 540
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

For bench testing you only need to DC power it with anything 24V or more up to the panel limit - the standard test fixture from UBNT is just an ethernet cable to use 24V PoE to the PV panel inputs.   You don't want to AC power it until it's connectesd to the real panel because it will try to suck too much power from the bench supply/PoE.   Just DC powering it will allow the gateway to talk to it and you can then update firmware etc.

MItestRig.jpg

This is an actual test rig that one of the UBNT devs sent me for some work we were doing on the BLE.   Just plug it into 24V passive PoE and it works.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

Excellent.  Thanks Jim.  I got a UniFi POE switch sitting here in my office already, and a DC power supply, so I'm all set.  Just need to round up a couple of spare DC connectorrs.  Yeah, I figured it would try to suck all available power on the DC with the AC connected.  My DC power supply allows you to limit the current, but avoiding having to worry about that is even better!

Kudos: 3

People are sharing their real problems and you are hanging onto some fantasy that there are no problems... and then attack the people who want the issues resolved. You're the ass here.

So I rigged up the spare gateway by just connecting the white, black and green wires to a regular 120V cord and then powered the inverter from my DC power supply:

ubnt_test_bench.JPG

Before power up the inverter, I entered its IP address as the only one on the gateway.

After applying power to the inverter, it was picked up within 30 seconds and both the BLE and ST firmware updated very quickly.

ST_Firm_Update_Success.JPG

So I'll most certainly be going this route when replacing inverters as they fail going forward.  I think part of the challenge I have when replacing inverters in the roof is that there are 56 of them all talking to the same gateway, so the bandwidth allocated to doing the firmware updates are limited due to all the crosstalk from the other inverters reporting their stats.

Well, I'm off to spend some quality time crawling around on my shop roof for the 2nd day in the row.