Kudos: 91
Solutions: 5

Re: SunMax Dead?

[ Edited ]

Finally done swapping out the inverter that wouldn't take the firmware upgrade in the middle of the roof array with the one I upgraded on the bench.  All is well now and all 56 roof inverters are reporting in and producting:

roofarray_10_22_17.JPG

One thing I noticed is that not all the inverters are running the latest v02.D2 ST firmware that I belive came as part of the 1.07 gateway firmware.  As I recall, somewhere along the 1.03 version of the gateway software, the inverters would automatically be updated to the latest version without having to ssh into the gateway and do them manually.  Perhaps that feature broke, or at least when brining an inverter online that is already on v02.D1, it does not get updated to v02.D2?

I'm seeing the same thing on my ground mount array:

groundarray_10-22-17.JPG

What exactly changed between v02.D1 and v02.D2 and would it be worth it for me to upgrade my inverters still on v02.D1?

Also, the inverter I pulled this morning that got stuck upgrading firmware in the array, upgraded just fine on the bench.  Ditto for the inverter I replaced on the ground array last month that had the same issue.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2580
Solutions: 38

sunmax is a joke.  a costly joke. 

Kudos: 91
Solutions: 5

I like the gateway that runs busybox and I like the end point connectors and the landscape/portrait cables.  Very easy to assemble.  So other than the inverters having a manufacturing flaw, I don't know where they went wrong.  And I don't understand why fixing the flaw with the caps burning out in the DC section of the inverter is such a big deal,  Yes, the cloud vs. local was a "snafu" for sure, but it looks like they are taking care of that.

Perhaps ubnt is realizing that the solar market is very competitive and they cannot compete to the same degree they can in other markets in other product categories?

I'm up to 128 panels/inverters now, so a significant investment.  I sure hope ubnt won't completely abandon the platform.  I spoke to one ubnt distributor, who  said they were currently in negotiations with ubnt as to carrying the sunMAX product line going forward.   Was not very encouraging....

Ubnt guys, can you please provide some sort of statement that lets us know what your intentions are with regards to the sunMAX product line?

Peter

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2580
Solutions: 38

Once the reporting stopped working, I started getting calls.  Literally thousands out of pocket for the fix, which was replacing the microinverters with another product.  Buyer beware.  I'm very lucky I didn't have too many sunmax systems out there.

Hello All,

I am dealing with PG&E right now with my install. THey are saying that the Sunmax panels are not approved on this site, link beow. Can anyone help me figure out what they are talking about or if the name was changed and that I need to just advise them that the panels are listed on that link just under a new name.

http://gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/pv_modules.php

Kudos: 6

SunMAX reminds me of mFi now more than ever which I queried about last year.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 4

Hi,

we will look into it. 

BR,

Andrejs

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 4

@intimidator93 I`ve sent you a PM regarding this issue. 

I hope it will be enough for commisioning the site. 
Please provide me feedback, if positive I will post instructions here as well. 

BR,

Andrejs