Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 22

Re: SunMax Dead?

Dear all,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am overtaking SunMax product line and parallelly working on our new platform SolarBeam. Your feedback is very important to us, it helps to identify problems and lets us to solve them faster. We will do our best to improve all processes and solve remaining issues.

Kudos: 7

Working on SunMax and Solarbeam? 

I have zero interest in Solarbeam, but I do have quite a bit of money invested in your SunMax product.  When can we expect the design tool and the cloud monitoring app to be back online?  An actual date would be good.  

Also, we know that there is a design / manufacturing flaw with the original micro inverters.  What is the status on a new (non-failing) micro-inverter?

thanks.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 22

I do understand your frustration here. 

As I am new with this product line, at this exact moment I cannot comment on the real dates.

What I will do - I will look into it in more depth and gather all possible info and reply to you later with the status of micro-inverters and cloud services as well. I know that job has never stopped and engineers are working on those issues. 

Andrejs

so is the cloud system online or not? i cannot see any of my inverters is this a cloud issue and i have been wasting my time troubleshooting? i do hear the buzzing sound from the inverters so i assume they are on. 

Lewis

Kudos: 1

Working for me at the moment.

BTW, if anyone is listening, Could it be possible to download the data that could be archived?

Having the 1 year is quite nice, and I sure dont want you guys to have it around forever, but It would be nice to offer that information in some presentable form to future clients for their use.

Joe

Ancient Member
Kudos: 9077
Solutions: 1389

wkmullins wrote:

Working on SunMax and Solarbeam? 

I have zero interest in Solarbeam, but I do have quite a bit of money invested in your SunMax product...

Is there plans to scale SolarBeam to large installations that can be grid-tied and work through power failures or optionally work off-grid?  If so then the two could overlap some of the customer base.

As for ground mount, had the hold mentioned below become permanent?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/SunMAX/Ubiquiti-Ground-Mount-Solar/m-p/1999299#M2696

SuperUser
Kudos: 8551
Solutions: 540
Contributions: 1

LLigetfa wrote:
As for ground mount, had the hold mentioned below become permanent?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/SunMAX/Ubiquiti-Ground-Mount-Solar/m-p/1999299#M2696

My guess is we won't see a ground mount SunMax system from UBNT directly - there are a ton of vendors making racking systems that will work perfectly with SunMax panels since they're a standard size.   Just bending sheet metal and/or cutting pipe...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

The Schlettler product is excellent

Kudos: 910
Solutions: 80

@LLigetfa I am quite sure this would make no sense on a large scale. Do you know what exactly SolarBeam is? They are not made for this.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos to the people who have helped you out!

Ancient Member

MAKuser wrote:
@LLigetfa I am quite sure this would make no sense on a large scale. Do you know what exactly SolarBeam is? They are not made for this.

From what I see of SolarBeam in its current form it does not appear to ge after the larger array market but I must confess that I have not followed it closely to see if there are plans to scale it to overlap with the grid-tied only SunMax market, hence the question.

Okay. Well, I don't know how much is already published, so I rather won't go into details.
But I can tell you it's made mainly for off-grid use. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise, because that would require different connectors+logic.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos to the people who have helped you out!

Ancient Member

MAKuser wrote:
Okay. Well, I don't know how much is already published, so I rather won't go into details...

I'm not asking that you disclose what may be under NDA and more so asking Ubiquiti.

In these parts, HydroOne is not accepting grid-tie without a ton of red tape and special interest group involement so selling grid-tie is almost impossible.  On top of that recent rate reductions put the ROI out to where COG, MTBF and cost to repair just don't make sense.  That leaves off-grid or quasi-grid the only remaining market option.

Established Member
Kudos: 599
Solutions: 45

I'm sorry I find this whole thread funny. Young and novices learn hard lessons as to why a business should never rely on another businesses' "cloud" software. When something goes wrong you don't have a way to plan for a backup or a way to fix it and your on the hook for promises you made to clients relying on someone else's promise. If it can't run on a lan or locally, walk away.

"All things are possible but not everything is probable."
Kudos: 3

Yeah, that's why I never rely on Gmail, or VISA, or every Fortune 1000 company that used "server" software.

Your smug, dare I say, "novice" comments which are essentially trolling statements, are not appreciated.

Ubiquiti is a leader in backhaul communications. They are not a fly-by-night company. They can be relied upon to run cloud software. The question isn't are they capable but are they committed to every new sector they are starting? Will they see all these non-core business units through?

@turnkit while I agree with you for the most parts, there is one point that's just wrong, at least according to their history, which are the only facts one could really base this on.

They can not run a cloud service.
mFi Cloud.
AirCRM.
UniFi VoIP.
SunLink.

Why is that? Maybe because all these services didn't generate any money, so they were not worth to maintain/keep.
UniFi Elite on the other hand does generate income. Let's see how that goes.

So I really really don't understand why you think you are right saying they can be relied upon to run a cloud service, because the facts are not backing you up, actually it's quite the opposite.

Ancient Member

patchski wrote:

The Schlettler product is excellent

Thanks for the name althiugh I think you typoed and it is really http://www.schletter.ca/index.html

Nice to see they are Made in Canada.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8551
Solutions: 540
Contributions: 1

Ground mounts are an interesting issue, and there are a ton of them out there.   I've researched them a lot for our big projects and found that  1 - they are expensive for what they really are,  and  2 - it's not difficult to build them yourself.  I've found costs per PV panel of from $30 to $100 each, which is a lot for some sheetmetal ot steel pope and assorted hardware.  

THere are clamps and pieces available inexpensively that allow you to attach PV panels to almost any kind of racking you need, and it's not difficult to build the racking out of Sched-40 pipe or square tube or whatever you want.   I've actually designed ( including the means to build them in large numbers on a production basis) both low (12-36 inches off the ground) and high (5-9 feet off the ground) ballasted and earth anchored systems that would be inexpensive to build and fast to install - remember labor is a very large part of the cost of these systems...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

True, but around here, you need to supply seismic data to the inspector before they will even show up.That can take a bit of time. 

That is one of the things that reputable companies supply as part of their service.

Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

UBNT-Hyde wrote:

@doktornotor

About UBNT_Sean said:

And just on this factor the failure rate should be not so high to 20%.

FYI, my failure rate is currently at 33%.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 5

@patchski

The cloud service has been restablished.

If you prefer it over the local solution please feel free to re-install it on your solar gateway.

Since you did not erase your gw from your original cloud-site settings, it will recognize it without

needing to re-add all inverters one by one.

Cloud-based SolarGateway FW:

https://www.ubnt.com/download/sunmax/default/default/sunmax-solar-gateway-firmware-v0941

And please report to us on your connection being restablished once you log in your site successfully, 

so we know everything is fine in your site, or help you on the debugging process in case it still has issues.

If in the other hand, you feel the local gw works ok for you, please ignore this message.

Sincere apologies for all the inconveniences,

Regards,

UBNT-Carlos