Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

SunMax discontinued

Possibly old news, but seeing some recent threads with people wondering what is going on with the company's commitment to the SunMax product line... Here is an email I received today from one Mark Luebke at Ubiquiti:

"Our SunMax device is now discontinued so we won't be selling the solution anymore. We are sorry for the inconvenience. "

Silly me got too excited too soon - wanted to buy 100 panels... Too bad guys. The price point looked really compelling. Back to the drawing board.
Kudos: 31
Solutions: 1

Re: SunMax discontinued

Is this really dead ? @UBNT-Bode
Ancient Member
Kudos: 8843
Solutions: 1346

What you've been told os contrary to what @UBNT-Robert posted just a week ago.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/SunMAX/SunMax-Dead/m-p/2051498#M2825

UBNT-Robert wrote:

Updates here:

1. We are working to get Cloud based monitoring more stable and support long-term (rather than poor local UI)

2. @UBNT-Carlos is SunMax HW lead and will drive any functional issues and RMA/support related issues

3. SunMax is far from dead;  we are also expanding the product line to smaller scale PV (SolarBeam) based on demand / customer feedback

We will have a new Product Line Manager (Andrejs) starting this week and he will introduce himself in this thread

Apologies for the poor support and transparency recently, I realize the siutaiton and we have started making upgrades to the team

Established Member
Kudos: 460
Solutions: 48

Ibiza_Sunsets wrote:
Here is an email I received today from one Mark Luebke at Ubiquiti:

"Our SunMax device is now discontinued so we won't be selling the solution anymore. We are sorry for the inconvenience. "

LLigetfa wrote:

What you've been told os contrary to what @UBNT-Robert posted just a week ago.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/SunMAX/SunMax-Dead/m-p/2051498#M2825

UBNT-Robert wrote:

3. SunMax is far from dead;  we are also expanding the product line to smaller scale PV (SolarBeam) based on demand / customer feedback

judge_facepalm.gif

@LLigetfa, what do you do when you tell sales that you want to place a substantial order and they tell you that the product is discontinued? My reaction is to buy something else. And as I said - too bad.

I saw the entire thread you referenced. It was disheartening to see reports of 20% failure rate in microinverters. Let's just say that thread was very helpful.
Ancient Member

Of course I would proceed with caution.  First thing to do is to try to resolve the discrepancy in what you were told.  In the thread I mentioned, Robert said they are bringing on new staff so I have to wonder if Mark Luebke is disgruntled and burning bridges.

As for the purported 20% failure rate, that is from one source albeit the source did quote other sources.  I would like to see a full forensic report on that since replacing failed MIs can be time consuming given that one may need to reverse the installation sequence to get at them on most installs.

I am a little surprised that nobody from Ubiquiti has responded to this thread yet.  Time is FUD's ally.

Ancient Member

LLigetfa wrote:

I am a little surprised that nobody from Ubiquiti has responded to this thread yet.  Time is FUD's ally.

There were two @mentions in this thread but keep in mind the boards email server is often backlogged so if it is time sensitive, I mention myself to see when the other receive theirs.

I also look at their profile to see when they were last on and last posted.  I see Bode has not logged on in over a week so wonder if he is on vacation or departed.  Robert has not posted since that last post I linked so wonder if he's to busy at this time to follow these threads.

Kudos: 31
Solutions: 1

Good idea really..
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 16

Dear Gents!

Regarding SunMax.

It is true that we are not selling those right now. That as you know is strongly related towards your provided valuable feedback about the product. We do understand that SunMax equipment qualifies as a large investment from your side and the failure rate for SunMax system was no acceptable from UBNT side as well, therefore we decided to invest additional development resources to deal with this.

Right now we are working on improvements for micro-inverters, they are going through detailed testing procedures, just to be sure that we can deliver reliable product to you.

We have also a stock for RMA.

As for – is the SunMax dead?, then the answer is no. As you can see from other posts in community, in parallel processes to new development efforts,  we have reestablished cloud service and now working on bringing back Sunlink as well.

As you know all this is time consuming, and therefore our apologies for delays.

We are also working to improve our communication through the community channels.

BR,

Andrejs